2015 Denver CO summer meet 6/27
Jun 24, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #106 of 132
Um, isn't it normal at a meet to ask before disconnecting Person X's headphones from Rig X,
To take over to another table for connection into Rig Y?

Some folks may not want their HD800s or HE-560s flying around the room haphazardly. Or not have headphones available at listening Rig X.

Yes it is, I just added that part to my post.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #107 of 132
So sorry I saw the notice for this meet too late for me to change plans, but I'm wishing you all the best of luck at the meet. Would have loved to bring my Hugo down for others to try.   I've now signed up with the Colorado Head-fier's, so hopefully I'll stay more in the loop.  Maybe I'll get a chance to meet other locals at the CanJam.

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #109 of 132
My first time at one of these local events and I'm curious the basic logistics work:

1. Is there something in the Wiki section on etiquitte ? (I couldn't find anything)
  2. Is there a wireless network we can use (I think you have to have your Denver Library card)?
  3. Can/Should we setup an ad-hoc network for local use & testing? (e.g. I'm thinking of bringing my Airport Express to let people check out Airplay with their DAC/AMP, JRemote, etc.)
  4. If I want to hear, let's say, my Source/DAC/AMP with your headphones, and you're sitting across room, how to do the borrow? Give her my license? Exchange my 650 for the 800s for a bit? Obviously this is something that each owner has full say on, but in general, how has this worked in the past?
  5. What about virus issues with throwing in SD/miniSD cards/Drives with music on them, etc. any other guidelines then AV software? 

Here's what I'm thinking for setups for people to play with:

1. OS X running JRiver --> USB --> Modi --> Vali --> HD598
   -- Controlled by JRemote on my iPad (or you can connect to my JRMC

2. OSX running Audirvana --> Optical/Headphone Jack --> Modi2 Uber --> Asgard 2 --> HD650
   -- Controlled by Mac Keyboard

3. Your miniSD (or mine) --> Fiios X5 --> Headphones of Choice

of course happy to swap in your stuff anywhere (and hoping I can audition as well!)

What if anything would people like to see changed or adapted?

If people want to audition something specific, what would people like to hear (Jriver says I have over 91,000 files)? 

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #110 of 132
Meet etiquette

http://www.head-fi.org/t/132721/head-fi-meet-etiquette-faq-please-review-revise-correct-amend

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #111 of 132
Hey guys- count me in! Don't know if I can stay all day, but I'll come by in the AM

I'll have the following:

Peachtree Shift portable headphone Amp/DAC (Full disclosure, I work for Peachtree)
Master and Dynamic MH40 
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audeze LCD-3

I'll have my trusty old Macbook Pro running Amarra or Roon 

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Jeff

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #113 of 132
My first time at one of these local events and I'm curious the basic logistics work:
  1. Is there something in the Wiki section on etiquitte ? (I couldn't find anything)
  2. Is there a wireless network we can use (I think you have to have your Denver Library card)?
  3. Can/Should we setup an ad-hoc network for local use & testing? (e.g. I'm thinking of bringing my Airport Express to let people check out Airplay with their DAC/AMP, JRemote, etc.)
  4. If I want to hear, let's say, my Source/DAC/AMP with your headphones, and you're sitting across room, how to do the borrow? Give her my license? Exchange my 650 for the 800s for a bit? Obviously this is something that each owner has full say on, but in general, how has this worked in the past?
  5. What about virus issues with throwing in SD/miniSD cards/Drives with music on them, etc. any other guidelines then AV software? 

1. The link Allanmarcus posted covers just about all the basics on etiquette.
  2. The library has free wi-fi for guests, no library card needed.
  3. I'm not familiar with Apple stuff at all (I use Windows & Linux) but if there are enough Apple folks there to use it, then why not.
  4. It's as simple as asking the other person if you can take the headphones to another table for a bit. Most Head-Fiers I've met in the past have been very generous & accommodating in this aspect. The room won't be so large or packed with too many people that anyone should have to worry about any legalese, gear getting out of place, or theft; everyone will be able to see everyone else's gear and I'll make sure that no one makes a mad dash for the door with someone else's gear.
    tongue.gif
  5. If anyone really has any worries about viruses or spyware, I can check any cards or drives on my laptop (I previously worked in antispyware so I'm sorta experienced with that kind of thing). I doubt anyone's card or drive will actually be infected with anything though. As far as software, I use Foobar myself which plays all file formats; most other playback software should have support for all the major formats as well (whether MP3, FLAC, ALAC, etc). And in addition to my laptop I'm also bringing a disc player so folks can burn an audio CD if they want.

Ok to stop by? I don't have any equipment to bring, but am quite interested in evaluating and hearing other people's opinions.

As I just said on the previous page, everyone is welcome regardless of gear.
smile.gif
If you have any headphones at all, even if it's just something like a smartphone or DAP (digital audio player) & earbuds, I recommend bringing them—since you can use your own music on your smartphone/DAP to source someone else's headphones.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #114 of 132
Well, this is inconvenient, but I have to take my car into the shop tomorrow. It should be an relatively quick repair, but I don't feel comfortable driving up to Denver without getting it looked at first. It should be ready to go by Friday, but, worst case scenario, I won't be able to make it or might be a bit late if it's not done till Saturday morning. I'll keep you all posted!

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #115 of 132
Go figure, I bring my car into the shop today. They call me later saying it's done. I pick it up and immediately realize they didn't fix the issue (groaning noise). So they're going to look again tomorrow. Not what I wanted to hear for Saturday. :/ It's still likely they'll get it done tomorrow, assuming they don't miss the issue again. So we'll see...pretty big maybe for me at this point.

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #117 of 132
  Hello, All

I am new to Head-Fi. I would like to join the meet this Saturday.  Unfortunately, I don't have much to share.. I am also just getting into headphones.

you are more than welcome to attend! You will be blown away by all the ways you can waste money on headphones 
dt880smile.png

Just bringing your stuff to compare to what others are bringing so you can get a feel for the sounds of other brands is encouraged. 

Don't be intimidated by all the expensive gear. In fact, just laugh at how some silly people spend hundreds of dollars on a single headphone cable! (note, my son, Rynsin just did that :) But seriously, just come and have fun, and make sure to compliment Rynsin's new expensive cable. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #118 of 132
Asr, sorry for the intrusion, but YGPM (about the meet).  
smile.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #119 of 132
Attendee list is all up-to-date through the latest posts.

Nice to see a number of folks in the Colorado Head-Fiers group, would be great if all the locals reading this thread (who haven't yet joined) could join the group too, the link is in post #1. Joining the group would make it easier for everyone to get news about future meets in the area. I don't know yet if I'll still be in CO next year to organize another meet here, but whoever takes on the task can use the group to easily contact everyone.

Go figure, I bring my car into the shop today. They call me later saying it's done. I pick it up and immediately realize they didn't fix the issue (groaning noise). So they're going to look again tomorrow. Not what I wanted to hear for Saturday. :/ It's still likely they'll get it done tomorrow, assuming they don't miss the issue again. So we'll see...pretty big maybe for me at this point.

Hope your car gets fixed in time for you to make it, I was looking forward to checking out some of your gear.

Hello, All  
I am new to Head-Fi. I would like to join the meet this Saturday.  Unfortunately, I don't have much to share.. I am also just getting into headphones.

Well I added you to the list, so now you have to come.
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #120 of 132
  Hello, All

Just the kind of people we like to meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back