2014 Model SMSL SAP-5 Portable Headphone Amplifer Introduction / Impressions
May 23, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #196 of 206
What lead you to suspect that the Vali and the O2 will sound similar? 

I compared the SAP-5 with my Schiit Asgard. The Asgard is more detailed, roomier, better definition, more bite and sparkle. The SAP-5 is warmer. Thick soothing bass, rich mids and room nuances, smoother treble. The Asgard is very clinical while the SAP-5 is more musical.

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #198 of 206
Bump

Any more long term reviews? Just purchased :blush:

Aug 19, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #200 of 206
  What else do you want to know? I've had mine for months and it is still ok.

Actually nothing in particular, just whether or not head-fi'ers are still happy with this amp, and if it still maintains the rave status that the C&C BH(2) once enjoyed?

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #201 of 206
Well I can tell you now that with an AK100 as source and using Whiplash cable, an Asgard 1, my Hifiman HE-400S sounds better. However if I need to take my music away from the desktop, my SMSL SAP5 does a pretty good job. The transition from Asgard 1 to SAP-5 isn't a shock at all. They don't sound the same but I couldn't really remember how different it was on the Asgard 1. To me, that means they are interchangeable.

It is also worth noting that there are better cables than the stock one. it sounded veiled with my setup. The Whiplash cable did a better job. I happen to have that as a freebie when I got the AK100. I'm sure there are other good cables around. Changing your stock cable is an option if you have higher resolving gear. For sure the SMSL SAP5 sound quality surpasses the stock cable.

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #202 of 206
Just got mine, paired it with an ipod classic 4G mono using the LOD. Works a treat, sound is slightly warmer when compared to my classic 5G + NX1 setup, but that's good because I'm using FXT90s with this, which are anyway cool and bright sounding.

Mar 7, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #204 of 206
Hallo everybody :)
I hope I post this in the right place, I new here so :)
I have a question that someone might be able to help me with
A while ago I received my first headphone amplifier a SMSL SAP V.
It was quite a disappointment as the amplifier hardly amplifies a signal, only the bass boost does it.
I reckon the unit is faulty.
The seller did not give a fair response, at SMSL I got no response at all.
So that is that.
My question Can I do something about it. Can I repair it?
Replace the op-amps? or is there another way
If I want to replace the op-amps where are those on the board.
Thanks in advance
Sebastiaan

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #205 of 206
Hallo everybody :)
I hope I post this in the right place, I new here so :)
I have a question that someone might be able to help me with
A while ago I received my first headphone amplifier a SMSL SAP V.
It was quite a disappointment as the amplifier hardly amplifies a signal, only the bass boost does it.
I reckon the unit is faulty.
The seller did not give a fair response, at SMSL I got no response at all.
So that is that.
My question Can I do something about it. Can I repair it?
Replace the op-amps? or is there another way
If I want to replace the op-amps where are those on the board.
Thanks in advance
Sebastiaan
Hello, when your playing your songs through it does the music fade out after about 1minute of listening? Any static? If so, open it back up and check to make sure each amp or in this case the "Maxx97720" Has no extra solder running through those circuit lines. If you see any stuck together, use a small metal brush and separate unless it's grounded or relayed off. It may be the amp has shorted... or even worse your headphone jack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back