2014 CanJam @ RMAF (October 10-12, 2014): The CanJam exhibitor list has been finalized, and what a lineup!
Oct 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #181 of 340
  Afternoon everyone! We're very excited about returning to Denver next week and meeting everyone (and a little bit sad that we can't enter the SHaG - what a prize pool!).

Totally looking forward to seeing you guys again!  @HiFiGuy528 will be stuck behind the Woo tables most of the time.  We can go visit him, and taunt him about not being able to leave the table, lol.  
biggrin.gif

Just purchased 3-day pass.  Last year's Canjam was my baptismal experience with all things Head-fi, so definitely looking forward to this year's show.  I had no idea what I was doing last year, wandering aimlessly from one strange rig to the next, drunk on buzz and hype (and that ridiculously overpriced scotch at the hotel bar).  This year, I have a plan...and my own bottle of scotch...

No, you did it right last year.  
smile.gif

That's how CanJam cherries are supposed to be popped.  It's supposed to be a glorious, and yet oddly confusing time... filled with wonder, and euphoria, with much emptying of wallets, and subsequent gnashing of teeth.

There's a lot of "ooh, what's this?  Oh, that was in the preview video!"  Then you bump into some random person and just start talking, casually at first... until they mention some obscure piece of gear like their modded K1000 with custom waveguides made from blu tac, fennel seeds, and Swarovski crystals (something to do with resonance and the Cosmological constant) at which you realize this is the person you've been PMming for the past two years.

UGH!  WHY CAN'T WE ALL WEAR FACE MASKS THAT LOOK LIKE OUR AVATARS?!  HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHO PEOPLE ARE?!  Actually nevermind that idea, half of us would just be walking around with Anime girls stuck to our faces.  And being as mature as we are, I'm sure we'd find a way to be anatomically correct with the masks' eye and mouth holes.  Anyway...

So you're listening to something... and then you see Jude.  More importantly, he sees you.  Note:  Jude is like all super-friendly and stuff.  If he sees you and does not recognize you, he will say hi.  So if you're an anti-social recluse... RUN!

Now you're there talking about the good old days, Head-Wize, obligatory chortles over Singlepower, that kind of stuff.  Then you feel a slap on the back and hear a hearty "hey bitches!  What are we talking about here?"  It's Tyll.  OMG, it's Tyll!  And you realize that you are now in a four-way conversation with your Head-Fi BFF, Jude and Tyll.  About headphones.  Then Jerry Harvey comes by.  "What are we doing about lunch?"

Before you know it, you're sitting at a table with your buddy, Jude, Tyll, Jerry - and everyone is whipping out their personal rigs.  It's heaven, and you feel a deep seated sense of belonging.  You're home.  Nothing else matters.  $17.95 for four scrawny buffalo wings and three twigs of celery?  Why yes, that's perfectly normal, no problem here.

During a lull in the conversation, you start fumbling with your name badge, and happen to see your SHaG card in pristine condition.  For the purposes of this dramatization, pristine means having NO stamps on it.  Now Friday is half over (realize that Friday is a short day, only six hours long), and you start to weep uncontrollably like a little girl.  That's when Lyndsey (from RHA) and I saunter over to see if you're okay.

You look up and you see a gorgeous blonde (not me obviously), asking you if everything is alright.  Since you're a Head-Fier, and have absolutely ZERO experience with gorgeous blondes approaching you in public, you stammer, HARD, which only intensifies her concern.  At this point, Jude and Tyll have to get back to the show, and Jerry's got a meeting, so Lyndsey and I sit down instead... not that you even know I exist at this point.  A few introductions later, you realize that Lyndsey is the one that's been posting as RHA Team this whole time, and you start to really fall in love.

Out of the corner of your eye, you see someone struggling with a lot of baggage.  Wait, that's not baggage.  Oh, that's Mike Mercer and his five (not a joke) pairs of Audezes.  Next to him is Mike Liang (HiFiGuy528) carrying something.  They join us and hilarity ensues.  You see me reach over to check out HiFiGuy's new toy, when he clutches it protectively. "Not yet, I have to unbox it."  Then you learn that Mercer and I have some kind of secret Cavalli prototype in our hotel room.  We settle the bill and head back to the room so you can hear what the next generation of Cavalli gear sounds like.  As we're walking, your mind wanders for a second.  Your eye sheds a solitary tear.  And you realize that you never want to go home.

Sound familiar?

SHaG details updated. 
smile.gif
  The prize pool is now well over $20,000.  This includes a pair of ELECTROSTATIC headphones, an ENTIRE RIG (DAC, amp and headphones), and items that are so new that they haven't been released yet.  
eek.gif

eek.gif
basshead.gif
tongue_smile.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

I'M TOTALLY DOING IT THIS TIME.  
beerchug.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #182 of 340
Totally looking forward to seeing you guys again!  @HiFiGuy528
 will be stuck behind the Woo tables most of the time.  We can go visit him, and taunt him about not being able to leave the table, lol.  :D

No, you did it right last year.  :smile:

That's how CanJam cherries are supposed to be popped.  It's supposed to be a glorious, and yet oddly confusing time... filled with wonder, and euphoria, with much emptying of wallets, and subsequent gnashing of teeth.

There's a lot of "ooh, what's this?  Oh, that was in the preview video!"  Then you bump into some random person and just start talking, casually at first... until they mention some obscure piece of gear like their modded K1000 with custom waveguides made from blu tac, fennel seeds, and Swarovski crystals (something to do with resonance and the Cosmological constant) at which you realize this is the person you've been PMming for the past two years.

UGH!  WHY CAN'T WE ALL WEAR FACE MASKS THAT LOOK LIKE OUR AVATARS?!  HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHO PEOPLE ARE?!  Actually nevermind that idea, half of us would just be walking around with Anime girls stuck to our faces.  And being as mature as we are, I'm sure we'd find a way to be anatomically correct with the masks' eye and mouth holes.  Anyway...

So you're listening to something... and then you see Jude.  More importantly, he sees you.  Note:  Jude is like all super-friendly and stuff.  If he sees you and does not recognize you, he will say hi.  So if you're an anti-social recluse... RUN!

Now you're there talking about the good old days, Head-Wize, obligatory chortles over Singlepower, that kind of stuff.  Then you feel a slap on the back and hear a hearty "hey bitches!  What are we talking about here?"  It's Tyll.  OMG, it's Tyll!  And you realize that you are now in a four-way conversation with your Head-Fi BFF, Jude and Tyll.  About headphones.  Then Jerry Harvey comes by.  "What are we doing about lunch?"

Before you know it, you're sitting at a table with your buddy, Jude, Tyll, Jerry - and everyone is whipping out their personal rigs.  It's heaven, and you feel a deep seated sense of belonging.  You're home.  Nothing else matters.  $17.95 for four scrawny buffalo wings and three twigs of celery?  Why yes, that's perfectly normal, no problem here.

During a lull in the conversation, you start fumbling with your name badge, and happen to see your SHaG card in pristine condition.  For the purposes of this dramatization, pristine means having NO stamps on it.  Now Friday is half over (realize that Friday is a short day, only six hours long), and you start to weep uncontrollably like a little girl.  That's when Lyndsey (from RHA) and I saunter over to see if you're okay.

You look up and you see a gorgeous blonde (not me obviously), asking you if everything is alright.  Since you're a Head-Fier, and have absolutely ZERO experience with gorgeous blondes approaching you in public, you stammer, HARD, which only intensifies her concern.  At this point, Jude and Tyll have to get back to the show, and Jerry's got a meeting, so Lyndsey and I sit down instead... not that you even know I exist at this point.  A few introductions later, you realize that Lyndsey is the one that's been posting as RHA Team this whole time, and you start to really fall in love.

Out of the corner of your eye, you see someone struggling with a lot of baggage.  Wait, that's not baggage.  Oh, that's Mike Mercer and his five (not a joke) pairs of Audezes.  Next to him is Mike Liang (HiFiGuy528) carrying something.  They join us and hilarity ensues.  You see me reach over to check out HiFiGuy's new toy, when he clutches it protectively. "Not yet, I have to unbox it."  Then you learn that Mercer and I have some kind of secret Cavalli prototype in our hotel room.  We settle the bill and head back to the room so you can hear what the next generation of Cavalli gear sounds like.  As we're walking, your mind wanders for a second.  Your eye sheds a solitary tear.  And you realize that you never want to go home.

Sound familiar?

I'M TOTALLY DOING IT THIS TIME.  :beerchug:  

Sounds like the perfect weekend, looking forward to it!

Jim

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #183 of 340
Warren, Bob, and others,

I am going to take thursday off work which means I will be traveling from central Nebraska to Denver Wednessday evening. If you want to save the expense of a rental I could pick people up on my way down. I could also stay until Monday and take people back, my schedule is very flexible. I will also be available for set up Thursday if needed. Let me know here or PM so I know which vehicle to bring.

Jim Graff

Hey Jim, that's awesome!  Lemme get back to you via PM so you know my itinerary.  I've been meaning to get back to you about that, but got mired in CJ prep here.  We've got some fun things lined up, running right up to the opening of the show, would be great if you could join in!  
smile.gif

Oh stop teasing, you. We still have a week to go!

But that's my job.  
frown.gif

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

We've previously mentioned that we're bringing the T10i out with us for it's public USA debut, but if you've not stopped by the Sponsor Forum recently, be sure to check out the review programme thread and you could have a set of T10i in your hands before CanJam event begins! 

If not, be sure to swing by our stall to check them out!

Originally Posted by mikemercer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm usually a CIEM person.

But the RHA T10i's have won me over - in just a few days (after letting them burn-in over-night - which is also their recommendation).

I've been using them w/ my Glove Audio A1 DAC/Amp (by CEntrance) + AK120 - and their noise isolation is phenomenal! Of course, it took a few tips to figure out what works for my strange ear canals (my ear, nose, and throat docs words, LOL) - I ended up w/ the dual-flange tips.

Thus far, playing everything from Shackleton to Tori Amos - I've been enjoying - w/ the Reference filter for most music, Bass filter for electronic - their silky mids, wonderfully extended low-end. It ripples out beautifully, and trails off naturally. The highs are coherent and FAR from screamy - nice and bloomy. Thus far, in my book:
A serious winner! Especially at $199!!  

That is their US price right?  
wink.gif

Originally Posted by drgajet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can't wait to try these at canjam. Love my 750's

Jim

Originally Posted by AxelCloris /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And those T10i... I can't wait to get a demo of them on the floor.

smile.gif
  It definitely surprised me.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #184 of 340
I'll be popping my RMAF/CanJam cherry this year. And since I live in Denver, I figured why not? :) Will only be going Saturday though.

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #186 of 340
Sound familiar?

Heheh...not really, but that was a hilarious read.  

More like:  until this time last year, I was a pretty committed 2-ch guy all my life, but becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of a good listening room in my recently-purchased home.  But my longtime friend Owen, who I was visiting in Denver and is also a 2-ch guy, said we should check out RMAF with some of our best and craziest music--to see how many rooms full of balding, frumpy Diana Krall- and Dire Straits-loving white audiophiles we could clear out with selected Demdike Stare, Andy Stott, and Squarepusher cuts.  See, I'm a recovering music journalist from the '90s and early '00s who covered a lot of strange electronic music that lots of folks have never heard, and lots of traditional audiophiles aren't willing or open-minded enough to explore.  It would be fun, and everything would be so expensive that there was no chance I'd fly home with a new amp and piss off the Mrs. 

"Oh, let's stop by the Canjam room so I can listen to some Westones," said Owen when we got to the hotel.  With my Shure 535's plugged directly into my iPhone, I was sure that I would walk into the room with the best in-ear rig and was instead salivating over the big tube amps hiding in the rooms upstairs.  So damned proud of myself for being a true insider, having found Shure years ago and feeling pretty smug about slumming it in what must be a small room with a few vendors peddling Walmart-rejected IEMs that couldn't possibly best my Shures.  

Then I stepped in the room.  "What's all of this **** for headphones?" I asked Owen.  "And what's this website, "head-fi?"

"It's just some site were people talk about IEMs and stuff all day long.  We'll get upstairs soon, don't worry."  But I played along and approached the Westone table.  

"Hey, these things sound pretty frickin' good," I said to myself.  "What the hell is Astell & Kern?  Is that like an iPod or something?  Why the hell would anyone want one of those when they have all they need on an iPhone?"

Plugged my Shures in, then scrolled through the AK120's library and found one of my favorite test tracks, Dave Brubeck's "Strange Meadowlark."  Listening.  "HOLY CRAP!  I didn't know my Shures could sound this good."  

Then I hit the ALO Audio table and found myself on the business end of LCD 2s plugged into a Studio Six.  "HOLY MOTHER OF DOG!  THERE'S NO WAY IT CAN REALLY BE SOUNDING THIS GOOD."  Yeah, I was yelling at my own inner monologue.  "Owen, I gotta get a scotch at the bar and clear my head.  This stuff sounds amazing."

So we did.  The scotch didn't help.  I was hooked.  We definitely visited a lot of rooms upstairs, saw and auditioned some crazy-expensive audio sculptures and enjoyed terrorizing the old white guys with Vatican Shadow and Autechre.  But frankly a lot of it didn't really impress me.  I visited the Canjam room two more times before leaving, armed to the gills with every flyer and brochure I could grab.  I checked out Head-fi when I got home, and the rest is history.  An increasingly expensive history.

This  year, I promise not to drool as much as I did last year, and I promise to actually talk to some people, too.  Might share my scotch.  Looking forward to meeting a few of y'all in person...

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #187 of 340
Do most people bring their own headphones to CanJam for trying out new gear?  Or is this frowned upon?  Don't think I will want to bring my HD800, but I was thinking about bringing my HD650 or maybe the T1 to audition with.  Also if I wanted to bring some sample tracks, what's the best method USB drive, CD, iPod?

Oct 2, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #188 of 340
Heh, welcome to the rabbit hole and in case no one has said it, Sorry about your wallet. :D

About this scotch, what are you bringing? I'm going to have to hit the liquor store when I get there. :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #189 of 340
Do most people bring their own headphones to CanJam for trying out new gear?  Or is this frowned upon?  Don't think I will want to bring my HD800, but I was thinking about bringing my HD650 or maybe the T1 to audition with.  Also if I wanted to bring some sample tracks, what's the best method USB drive, CD, iPod?

Yes bring your own gear, most of the vendors are pretty accommodating when you want to use your own headphones and music.
I am bringing my HD800, roxannes, and my PS500, Along with a few other things. There is a mini meet in the planning stages. I'm sure Warren will post more details as soon as he can.

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #192 of 340
Oh schiit, I got the 11'th off from work and about $100 I don't need this month :x... Might have to drive on up there 

Oh yikes it's in the Mid West, well there goes that idea!

Jude we need to start giving away tickets to this event man! Plane and Hotel bookings, so us broke east coast guys can get on out there :D 

I've still yet to attend a head Fi meet q.q 

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #193 of 340
Guys, i'll be live streaming RMAF in hi-rez vid and if you wanted to get together on Sunday and have 30 to 60 minutes of live TV time to discuss what you liked during CanJam let me know. Meet me Thursday night during the live music/party by the bar area and we'll reserve some time for you :)  I have some Sunday studio time booked for a few other boards and wanted to be sure Head-Fi also had time too. We'll also have live chat and Twitter going, so those at the show can answer questions from those who missed attending CanJam at RMAF.

Oct 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #194 of 340
As a CANJAM virgin, I thought I would lead the way with some dumb questions.

My Hidition NT6pro CIEM was supposed to be my key auditioning tool, but the cable's left channel went out yesterday, so I need to do something quick to make the most of my one day - Saturday - at CANJAM. Currently I am using a spare FIIO RC-UE2 iem cable for JHA style IEMs and it seems to fit fine and sound ok, but I would like to do something better. My main goal is to be able to audition a number of cable makeups - silver/copper/hybrid - to see what works best with my Hiditions before spending the money on several cables that just end up in the drawer. My second goal is to purchase a nice sounding cable at CANJAM to optimize my DAP auditions .

So here come the dumb questions:
  • Custom IEM Cables: With a brief glance at the CANJAM list, cable manufacturers seem to be under represented only recognizing Moon Audio (i have their black dragon audeze cable) who isn't a focused cable manufacturer. Wywires doesn't seem to do IEM cables. Are any dedicated HP/IEM cable manufacturers going to be at CANJAM?
  • Availability: If there are going to be IEM cable manufacturers, will they have supply available for purchase so I can use the cable at CANJAM, or is this just a place to order things for later shipment.
  • Custom Options: If there are going to be IEM cable manufacturers there, are they able to accommodate custom configurations at CANJAM? I was considering a balanced cable with a couple pigtails to offer versatility.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW, if there are any cable manufacturers monitoring this thread that can offer any insight without breaking HeadFi rules, I would love to hear from you even through PM. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #195 of 340
Can't go wrong with Moon Audio, but you might also be interested to know that WyWires will make any cable that you ask them to make.  
smile.gif
  And yes, they usually both have cables to sell at shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back