2013 SF Bay Area (Changfest?) Meet Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #46 of 225
Quote:
Finally! The rest of my photos are now all uploaded. Here are all of the gears I was able to capture:

Its mine!
biggrin.gif
 Done post anymore pictures of the DNA Stratus guys! I loved it to death, but its too much money for me.
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #47 of 225
Quote:

is there any information out there about this?

Think of it as a Darkstar jr, in the sense that it uses 4x OPA541. Don't expect Darkstar chassis build quality though. Should be a cheap fun project though, even for newcomers to DIY. Includes a BOM where we can simply cut and past into mouser.com

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #48 of 225
Quote:
Its mine!
biggrin.gif
 Done post anymore pictures of the DNA Stratus guys! I loved it to death, but its too much money for me.
frown.gif

By the way, if you used iTunes previews as the sources for the songs you tested the E12 and O2 with, then they would have had much better soundstage and clarity.

Pet peeve, but source file quality is also pretty important since you mentioned you wanted more soundstage. 
smily_headphones1.gif

On that note, I think you'll like the K702 (I think I had it photographed somewhere in there) better than the DT880. It definitely has bigger soundstage and better vocal clarity.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #49 of 225
I noticed that, too.  This event appears to have had an extensive amount of planning involved, everything appears to have been well covered.  But, I am a stickler when it comes to spelling, writing, etc.  I noticed the picture of your card last evening in one of the pics.  The underscore was missing between "Chris" and "Himself." 
tongue.gif

Nope they got it haha.

..and here it is at home

I have a bunch of other pics saved up, but this person's table was right next to me and I really enjoyed his rig

The DNA amp I heard was also very good, I am seriously considering dropping an order for one of these

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #50 of 225
Two of my personal favorites at the meet.

AGD Ref 1 (early revision) on bottom to a DIY amp (Nelson Pass design - buffer + amp) into HD800s. The HD800 had a direct connection cable mod to the drivers.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #51 of 225
Quote:
Quote:
Its mine!
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

By the way, if you used iTunes previews as the sources for the songs you tested the E12 and O2 with, then they would have had much better soundstage and clarity.

Pet peeve, but source file quality is also pretty important since you mentioned you wanted more soundstage. 
smily_headphones1.gif

On that note, I think you'll like the K702 (I think I had it photographed somewhere in there) better than the DT880. It definitely has bigger soundstage and better vocal clarity.

No K702 for me. I tried one at Best-Buy, it felt so cheap. 

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #52 of 225
It was a great meeting.  I had tons of fun.  GigaThanks to purrin and everybody else who put it together.

Alas I could not stay the whole time and thus did not have a chance to see/hear everything.  But a few things really impressed me:

-  MrSpeaker's modified Fostex are awesome.  Easily the best 'phone under $500 out there.

-  DNA's stratus is mind bloggling!!  The sinergy with my ATH W3000 was made in haven.  I guess I should start saving for my birthday... 
size]

-  The Lambda Nova was sooooo spacious.  I felt for a moment I did not have headphones.

And a few random pics:

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #55 of 225
DNA Stratus. Wow! my favorite rig with the TH900 (not pictured). I think Donald's convinced he needs to shell out some serious cash for the TH900.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #56 of 225
TMoney's KGSSHV paired with SR009. I don't think anything else "gets out of the way" better. The HV does a really great job with precise driver control of the 009. There were x2 KGSS and x2 HV's at the meet. Lots and lots of STAX.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #57 of 225
Feb 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #59 of 225

I was really impressed with Dans Mad Dog T50RP.  Never having heard them before and I haven't been following  up on the various impression/mod threads, I was expecting these to have a deep "U" curve.  Far from it.  Very balanced across the frequency spectrum, midrange warmth and overall presentation is very nicely done.  Warm resonant mids with a smooth "dusting" of treble on top.  Midrange/treble cohesion is smooth and VERY nicely done.  I had a great time chatting with Dan and turns out hes a flute player, and he uses the sound of the live instrument in person as his tonal reference.  Solo flute to me (as a fan of Jethro Tull) is an outstanding test of midrange-treble character.  Its a very midrange-metal-resonant and "breathy" sounding instrument... depending on how its played.  I think because its resonant air flowing through metal, it benefits from a headphone that can "dry-out" a little bit.  So wood-resonant Grados that I am familiar with, miss the boat in this regard as they add their own distortions and harmonic resonances to the fundamental tones.  I was going to add a DT800-600 to my collection, to do Ian Andersons progressive flute-rock justice... but now I think one of Dans Ortho-creations would be better.

Bass was plentiful, good impact and extension s you'd expect from a nearly-closed headphone.  Admittedly I did not spend as much time in this part of the spectrum, but bass seemed to be more airy + ambient than most closed cans i have heard, which tend to sound heavy-thumpy and weighty.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #60 of 225
Quote:
Q701, I think.

Well, Q701 I have seen, but I don't think they sell K702.

And IMO, K702 is actually the better version of Q701 if you like clarity and soundstage. Q701 is warmer and fuller, but it lacks the clarity and treble of K702.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back