2013 LA Regional Meet Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #31 of 240
Quote:
....snipped..

n3rdling .....
I heard his BH two years ago with his Stax Omegas. My jaw dropped. It was an epiphany.
Had never listened to anything as perfect as that....ever.

true dat.

I heard it with my Wadia 860x GNS and it was headphone excellence I never thought was possible. I want to host another meet soon but in the Newport Beach area..BIG BIG BIG home.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #32 of 240
you forgot to show off your uerms bro

Dude, I think your beer is still waiting for you.

Insidious what dac were you using?  The combo you had with the wa22 and hd800 was incredible. Listening to that and the blue hawaii + stax combo was my highlight.

That was hiyono's and azynneo's set up. I didn't bring anything. Yeah, Justin's blue hawaii + stax 009 set up was to the right of this picture and was killer.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #33 of 240
It was great to see old friends and make new ones (Jingway). That is one thing I truly enjoyed. Truly sorry I did not meet Livewire since he also helped me with the KGSSHV built.
Frank, like usual, dazzled with his meticulous crafting, N3rdling with his many toys, including the historic first ever Stax headphone, which I never had seen before. Andy, providing bits of good information.
BHSE always my reference point.
Abyss, ugly as h*ll but with a truly spacious sound and music never sounding so good. (xcpet for the 009's :)
And many thanks to the organizers for such a wonderful job.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #34 of 240
Thanks third_eye/warren for putting this together.  This meet flew by, was great to see everybody again. 

I only really listened to the Abyss (wanted to hear the KingSounds but they were stuck in customs).  They looked worse in person than in pictures, especially while adjusting the pivot on top.  Fit was unsettling but not painful.  I listened through the DNA Stratus and CA LAu.  This headphone seemed like it had extremes in strengths/weaknesses.  The bass was great, and the soundstage was really big.  They were quite detailed for an ortho I think.  The imaging was a little strange to me - diffuse for sure, but hard panned sounds were very distracting, perhaps due to the depth of the earpads.  Mids sounded a bit off at times, but I'm not sure how to describe it.  Purrin asked me if I meant 'hollow' and I guess that kinda describes it.  Unfortunately the treble was a mess.  The bass was high end, the mids were mid fi, and the treble was low-fi.

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #35 of 240
Like many others, my first headphone meet. I met Tyll and Craig (EC) and Justin (Headamp) and Donald North and Mike Moffat (Schiit) and so many others. I will shortly post listening impressions of some truly remarkable gear. I really wanted to meet N3rdling but never quite managed to find him at his table. Thank you, everyone who organized and helped. I believe a good time was had by all! 
o2smile.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #36 of 240
Sorry to miss you Jeff!  Hope you got to listen to a bunch of Stax you wanted to hear. :)

Btw, does anybody know what username Dean from Positive Feedback uses here?  He left his card at my table because he was interested in buying something from me but the email addy isn't working.

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #37 of 240
Quote:
Another Head-Fi legend I've been wanting to meet was Justin of HeadAmp.
At his table was his Blue Hawaii Special Edition paired with the Stax SR-009 and other stat phones.
He also brought the new GSX-2 dynamic amp. We plugged in his Senn HD-800.
This was one of the best dynamic pairings I've ever heard. Soundstage was unbelievable!

+1 Great sound from this combo.

Jul 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #38 of 240
Quote:
Sorry to miss you Jeff!  Hope you got to listen to a bunch of Stax you wanted to hear. :)

Btw, does anybody know what username Dean from Positive Feedback uses here?  He left his card at my table because he was interested in buying something from me but the email addy isn't working.

Thank you, and yes, I got to hear both the O2 (finally!) and the 009, so I was a happy camper in Stax land. I would have liked to hear a LNS, also--maybe next time. 

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #41 of 240
Don't know if i mentioned Eddie Current about too.  Craig/s stuff is amazing, he is a genius in amp design and production.  As far as Justin goes, i didn't see him, don't know how i missed it......Think i was a bit spacey yesterday after working all morning.  I wanted to thank him for getting that Pico Power into production, it is such an awesome portable.  I have heard his Blue Hawaiian set up too, Yikes! 

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #42 of 240
I had such a great time at the meet.  Thanks to everyone for being so generous in bringing their equipment and to Donald North for answering my newb-amp-design questions. Also a big thanks to Third Eye + Warren (et.all) for all your efforts that day!

I was genuinely surprised that my Bottlehead Crack got as much love as it did and that my XCans paired so well with SonicTransducer's K1000's so well.

Aside from all the awesome rigs that I listened to, one of my highlights was speaking with sceleratus about the challenges and design-considerations of building his 300B amp (which sounded amazing with the LCD-2's).

I'm glad you guys liked the glasses and the Lismore!  Next year I guess i need to bring a keg of it 
blink.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #43 of 240
I have to be honest and confess that I did have one problem during the meet. The problem was the number of Mac laptops!! I seriously struggled with trying to work my fingers in the magic hand gestures that would allow me to scroll down the page!! I would have given my left nut for some scroll bars!! In several cases, I just gave up and listened to whatever I could reach without needing to scroll. I was too embarrassed at not being hip enough - so I never asked anyone for help. :xf_eek:

To the few folks that had their Macs set-up to always show scroll bars, I sincerely thank you for your kindness!! :p

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #44 of 240
Quote:
I have to be honest and confess that I did have one problem during the meet. The problem was the number of Mac laptops!! I seriously struggled with trying to work my fingers in the magic hand gestures that would allow me to scroll down the page!! I would have given my left nut for some scroll bars!! In several cases, I just gave up and listened to whatever I could reach without needing to scroll. I was too embarrassed at not being hip enough - so I never asked anyone for help.
redface.gif

To the few folks that had their Macs set-up to always show scroll bars, I sincerely thank you for your kindness!!
tongue.gif

Not that hard; you just have to use two fingers to scroll.

Jul 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #45 of 240
I have to be honest and confess that I did have one problem during the meet. The problem was the number of Mac laptops!! I seriously struggled with trying to work my fingers in the magic hand gestures that would allow me to scroll down the page!! I would have given my left nut for some scroll bars!! In several cases, I just gave up and listened to whatever I could reach without needing to scroll. I was too embarrassed at not being hip enough - so I never asked anyone for help. :xf_eek:

To the few folks that had their Macs set-up to always show scroll bars, I sincerely thank you for your kindness!! :p
All you need is a credit card to fix that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back