2013 CanJam @ RMAF (Oct. 11-13, 2013): One of the world's finest headphone audio shows!
Aug 13, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #46 of 229
I really want to go to this show. Have a lot of people gone from the forum? What kind of thongs go on at this event? I am a frequent CES attendee so im trying to relate. If i do go it will be on my own dime though.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #47 of 229
Uh, not sure if there will be many "thongs" going on, at least not on me that's for sure...
tongue_smile.gif
  That thought even scared me a little bit...
confused_face.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #51 of 229
Quote:
So mainly im wondering if there is seninars? Like what to listen to for sound? Or what makes a great headphone?

Looks like there will be, but I can't find a listing of what topics will be covered.

The RMAF website has videos of previous years seminars and this is what their FAQ says:

What other trendy stuff is happening at the show?

Seminars, entertainment, software and a room full of the latest headphone gear. There will be product specials, product rollouts and more surprises.

http://audiofest.net/new/

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #52 of 229
Quote:
So mainly im wondering if there is seninars? Like what to listen to for sound? Or what makes a great headphone?

The Seminar and Entertainment schedule is here (details haven't been posted yet though): http://audiofest.net/new/americas-audio-show/2013-schedule/

Btw, RMAF isn't a trade show like CES. Unlike CES it's actually open to the public! (No offense to CES but their "closed to the public" policy has always rubbed me the wrong way.) Most speaker vendors will also happily play your own music if you bring it. The majority of attendees at RMAF will be regular consumers, and of course there'll be lots of press as well.

The speaker part of RMAF is basically an opportunity to demo lots of speakers in rooms that try to mimick the at-home environment, while CanJam@RMAF is an opportunity to listen to a variety of headphones and headphone-related gear, all with no sales or pressure tactics from anyone. No one at RMAF is necessarily there to sell or obnoxiously market something or push product on you. Most vendors will have an attitude of "come on over and listen to our awesome-sounding speakers!" (or headphones or amps as the case might be). So it's sort of like a "persuade buyers through demonstration" type of thing.

There will likely be anywhere from 20-100 Head-Fiers (or so) in attendance. Most people going will have posted in this thread (or will, if they haven't yet). In previous years there have been about roughly 15-50 Head-Fiers that have showed up (most of them not local to CO).

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #53 of 229
Yeah well CES is a trade show and its place to negotiate. Its also a place to meet new vendors and confidential pricelists are given out. So i understand the closed door policy. But with the internet someone could post the confidential pricelist in minutes anyways.

I am glad to hear CANJAM has consumers there because you can see the reactions of consumers to the products. Maybe even mingle with everyone to find their opinions on products.

Im just trying to see if i can gain lots of knowledge from this show or if there is another show i should attend in place. I live to listen to music and i feel this is a place i would like to be. Just have to justify the cost to fly from canada.

I will wait for seminars and then relook at it

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #54 of 229
Quote:
Yeah well CES is a trade show and its place to negotiate. Its also a place to meet new vendors and confidential pricelists are given out. So i understand the closed door policy. But with the internet someone could post the confidential pricelist in minutes anyways.

I am glad to hear CANJAM has consumers there because you can see the reactions of consumers to the products. Maybe even mingle with everyone to find their opinions on products.

Im just trying to see if i can gain lots of knowledge from this show or if there is another show i should attend in place. I live to listen to music and i feel this is a place i would like to be. Just have to justify the cost to fly from canada.

I will wait for seminars and then relook at it

Oh, CanJam is THE consumer headphone show in the States as far as I'm concerned,
and I help put together The Headphonium event at T.H.E Show Newport!!

CanJam at RMAF, and RMAF just have this laid-back vibe that's tough to replicate in other
areas.  Plus: Practically everyone who attends (a few locals aside) are all on a shared pilgrimage to
see friends and listen to tunes through some killer gear.

If it wasn't for Jude at last year's CanJam I would've never been able to hear my Sony PHA-1 before
I bought it!  I LOVE it, and there's so much to see and do there.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #55 of 229
Oh, CanJam is THE consumer headphone show in the States as far as I'm concerned,
and I help put together The Headphonium event at T.H.E Show Newport!!

CanJam at RMAF, and RMAF just have this laid-back vibe that's tough to replicate in other
areas.  Plus: Practically everyone who attends (a few locals aside) are all on a shared pilgrimage to
see friends and listen to tunes through some killer gear.

If it wasn't for Jude at last year's CanJam I would've never been able to hear my Sony PHA-1 before
I bought it!  I LOVE it, and there's so much to see and do there.
Yeah well i will see in september if i will be going. What is the headphonium event? Where is that?

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #56 of 229
Quote:
Yeah well i will see in september if i will be going. What is the headphonium event? Where is that?

The Headphonium was a last-minute dedicated personal audio show within a show at T.H.E Show Newport this year.
Richard Beers, a good guy and the owner of T.H.E Show (which also hosts a major audiophile industry trade show at CES)
approached me to get some headphone companies in and they wanted to see what happened.

I'm psyched and blessed to say it went really well, and I achieved me one major goal for The Headphonium (event name
was crowd-sourced in a contest): Get a bunch of Head-Fiers there, and I did that!

We filled the headphone seminar rooms, and I even flashed the Head-Fi gang sign, with many returned!!

Next year we're going to make things even
more interesting!!

But enough of that: I LOVE RMAF!!  It's been my favorite audio show since my first one in 2009 (also the first year CanJam came
to RMAF) and I've been goin' to these damn things, CES and otherwise, since 1996.  I even have my cousin fly out from Maryland,
he's into audio too of course, to hang out as it's the one time we get to kick it every years unless the fam is traveling together or somethin'.

If you come, we'd be happy to have you.

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #58 of 229
[quote name="mikemercer" url="/t/669567/2013-canjam-rmaf-oct-11-13-T.H.E Show (which also hosts a major audiophile industry trade show at CES)
approached me to get some headphone companies in and they wanted to see

But enough of that: I LOVE RMAF!!  It's been my favorite audio show since my first one in 2009 (also the first year CanJam came
to RMAF) and I've been goin' to these damn things, CES and otherwise, since 1996.  I even have my cousin fly out from Maryland,
he's into audio too of course, to hang out as it's the one time we get to kick it every years unless the fam is traveling together or somethin'.

[/quote] so whats this audiophile trade show at CES? What you shop for at CES?

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #59 of 229
Quote:
[quote name="mikemercer" url="/t/669567/2013-canjam-rmaf-oct-11-13-T.H.E Show (which also hosts a major audiophile industry trade show at CES)
approached me to get some headphone companies in and they wanted to see

so whats this audiophile trade show at CES? What you shop for at CES?[/quote]

Richard started T.H.E Show as an alternative to the old high performance audio show at The Alexis Park,
before it got moved to the Venetian.  It was for high end companies that didn't feel like dealing with the hassle 
of CES.  It's been held at The Flamingo for many years now.

I usually don't shop at CES. 
I'm always there as a journalist, covering what's new in audio and hangin' out with good friends 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back