2013 Bay Area Headphone Meet & Headmasters (CAS4) Impressions Thread (8/9~8/11)
Aug 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #76 of 300
Quote from Warren:
I am so glad you came out to see us Stoney!  Was WELL worth it was it not?

Yes, quite worth it!  I wish I made more time for dinners and hanging out, and for some of the top gear that I missed. I think I was rather focused on short term tasks, knowing I am not budgeting for a killer headphone rig.  But the chance to hear prototypes and multi-kilobuck 'phones is rare.  I seemed to get there too late each day to cover as much as I wanted.  

I did have a chance to get to the 2ch exhibits, although I rushed through them. Most were not exactly impressive on an absolute scale of realism, but the gear was cool and many demos had very good qualities that came through despite the room problems.  

I must say, the huge Wilson room (with a view of the pool) had the most realistic reproduction, but Wilsons are not new to me so no big surprise.  

I also attended most of the panel discussion on mixing and mastering. What an illustrious panel.  I was delighted to see Keith O. Johnson there, someone I'm very familiar with over the decades, who according to a co-worker had not been scheduled to attend.  He's 75, a runner for exercise, and in great shape.  His comments are always illuminating and thankfully he goes on longer than his fellow panelists want, but shorter than I want.  

Thanks again to all who shared their gear... I got a lot of tangible value out of that, as well as fun. 

PS: health held up well, although my ability to make coherent sentences went south now and then.  (This week I'm getting x-rays on one tumor (should be successful), looking at surgery on another (again, easy to get at), and chemo to help with both and with the unknown.  None of this bothers me terribly much, not compared to the general, uncertain, scary/horrific part that perhaps most of us will go through eventually in some form.)  Not feeling sorry for myself... just having fun and enjoying the music!  

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #77 of 300
Quote:

Yes, quite worth it!  I wish I made more time for dinners and hanging out, and for some of the top gear that I missed. I think I was rather focused on short term tasks, knowing I am not budgeting for a killer headphone rig.  But the chance to hear prototypes and multi-kilobuck 'phones is rare.  I seemed to get there too late each day to cover as much as I wanted.  

I did have a chance to get to the 2ch exhibits, although I rushed through them. Most were not exactly impressive on an absolute scale of realism, but the gear was cool and many demos had very good qualities that came through despite the room problems.  

I must say, the huge Wilson room (with a view of the pool) had the most realistic reproduction, but Wilsons are not new to me so no big surprise.  

I also attended most of the panel discussion on mixing and mastering. What an illustrious panel.  I was delighted to see Keith O. Johnson there, someone I'm very familiar with over the decades, who according to a co-worker had not been scheduled to attend.  He's 75, a runner for exercise, and in great shape.  His comments are always illuminating and thankfully he goes on longer than his fellow panelists want, but shorter than I want.  

Thanks again to all who shared their gear... I got a lot of tangible value out of that, as well as fun. 

PS: health held up well, although my ability to make coherent sentences went south now and then.  (This week I'm getting x-rays on one tumor (should be successful), looking at surgery on another (again, easy to get at), and chemo to help with both and with the unknown.  None of this bothers me terribly much, not compared to the general, uncertain, scary/horrific part that perhaps most of us will go through eventually in some form.)  Not feeling sorry for myself... just having fun and enjoying the music!  

The Wilson setup sounded awesome and Keith's Spectral amps are so tempting. I have loved the Spectral gear for  about 20 years now and it alway sound great. Keith is legendary for his contributions to the high end.  There were a few other legends there as well at the show in Albert Von Schweikert and Schiit very own Mike Moffatt who  with Theta designed the legendary Theta Generation 5 Dac. I still have not heard its equal and in my opinion is one of the very best DAC's every to hit the high end.. Mike promising something very special shortly and Jason Stoddard has a few things in the fire as well.

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #78 of 300
Wanted to share some more pix in the meantime:

me and Alex (Rosson of Audeze) havin some fun w/ the Pono player!
Actually sounded great!  But the player's looks gotta go

Are you an Alpha Dog?!?!  LOVED em

My rig from the meet - w/ lots of fellow Head-Fiers cans!!

more comin...

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #79 of 300

Quote: 
The Wilson setup sounded awesome and Keith's Spectral amps are so tempting. I have loved the Spectral gear for  about 20 years now and it alway sound great. Keith is legendary for his contributions to the high end.  

One nice thing about being a 56yo guy is that I've heard Keith, Richard Vandersteen, Dave Wilson, and others (including AES talks) way back when they were smaller and more accessible.  I've enjoyed watching their successes and enjoyed their products.  I've never been a thorough insider but the tech talks and causal chats makes me feel welcome among them.  Generous guys. 

There were a few other legends there as well at the show in Albert Von Schweikert and Schiit very own Mike Moffatt who  with Theta designed the legendary Theta Generation 5 Dac. I still have not heard its equal and in my opinion is one of the very best DAC's every to hit the high end.. Mike promising something very special shortly and Jason Stoddard has a few things in the fire as well.

I missed Albert, but he's been around a long time and I've observed his rooms and his conversations for decades.  In fact, there was a time in '89 when John Atkinson offered me the job of Technical Director in Santa Fe.  I reluctantly declined to stay at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.  Later, John had three candidates audition by writing reviews (I was already published so he didn't need it from me). Robert Harley's review was a Von Schweikert, if I'm not mistaken. Since then, I've been aware of the products.  But never very informed.  I was/am acquainted with Richard Vandersteen and his wife, and in fact his technical seminar was one of my early writings (Richard said it was the most accurate technical report on his designs that he had seen.)  Somehow, then, I never got Von S speakers into my home.  

Mike Moffat was an old acquaintance from that time period, and we've always enjoyed talking if infrequent over the years.  Did more this weekend quite a bit.  His twisted humor and strong unique character I find enjoyable. I never took the step to own Theta, but I heard it over the years admiringly.  John Stoddard was a new introduction with me and I found his personality unique and enjoyable.  

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #80 of 300
I got two year son you with age.  Glasd you enjoyed the show. next year it will be more exciting. i am working on some different stuff for next years show and also for the Headmaster event and Meet will be more enticing to get more folks out there. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #81 of 300
After getting to hang out for two days at CAS, I can not wait for RMAF.  I was so excited to get a chance to hear the Alphadogs and I must say on the schiit amp they were awesome.   Nice to get a chance to meet some of you.  

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #82 of 300
My only regret with this meet is that I didn't stay long enough to test the closed Audeze.  You guys must have gotten it out not long after I left around 4ish.  Well, got to keep personal fun and family in balance, right?  Next time, there's always next time.

Anyway, besides meeting great, friendly people in the hobby and in the trade, from testing out available amps/HPs, this meet helped me tremendously with deciding my future gear purchases.  I already have a list written up for Xmas for Santa this year. 
size]

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #83 of 300
Thanks to all the Headfi faithful for coming by and listening to the HeadAmp booth!
I realize that tape isn't something for everybody but I'm always happy to share my rig with everyone.
Pairing it with Justin's fantastic amps gives folks a chance to hear what's possible with great analog and headphones.

Everyone I got a chance to meet and talk to were very respectful of all the gear and others at my table. It really means a lot to feel like there is mutual trust here in our little community!

It was a pleasure to meet and talk to the other vendors too. Great guys and gals all!

I can't say enough for what a great job Frank did to make this a great time for both listeners and vendors alike.
We should all be thanking him for all the behind the scenes work it takes to make this sorts of event a success!
Way ta go Frank!

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #85 of 300
Quote:
Fine, I'll expand on it a little bit more. 

I liked it, a lot
wink.gif

Smart *** 
tongue.gif

Quote:
 I don't think my parents would think that that would be a fun night out, I of course would
wink.gif

Well, sux to be them!

Quote:
Your on Warren, your help is much appreciated and any others are also welcome. With the show and headmaster events I could use the help and more ideas as we have a whole year to get it rocking,

You got it.  Also, it would be great if you could come down to the L.A. Head-Fi Meet that we'll be having on March 8th of next year.  We're going to be trying out several ideas for improvements.  You'll be able to check it out to see what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
Was that questioned directed at me or Hifi? If me, I'm calling Jimmy tomorrow.

At HiFiGuy.  I already know you're getting one. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote from Warren:
I am so glad you came out to see us Stoney!  Was WELL worth it was it not?

LOL, so in other words, just like the rest of us!  The dinners were a function of location.  All of us who came in from out of town don't have a home to go to when the day is over.  So we congregated as poor huddled masses - consuming large quantities of meat to while away the time.

Quote:

Yeah, you looked to be in great spirits! 
smile.gif

Quote:
Wanted to share some more pix in the meantime:

Thanks Mike!  Also, my camera sucks ass! 
frown.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #86 of 300
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Fine, I'll expand on it a little bit more. 

I liked it, a lot
wink.gif

Smart *** 
tongue.gif

Quote:
 I don't think my parents would think that that would be a fun night out, I of course would
wink.gif

Well, sux to be them!

Quote:
Was that questioned directed at me or Hifi? If me, I'm calling Jimmy tomorrow.

At HiFiGuy.  I already know you're getting one. 
smile.gif

Jimmy said he'll see what he can do at the meet
confused_face.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #87 of 300
Quote:
Dan, I am holding TWO rain checks for you by now.  If your family members move to Denver by October, IMA BE PISSED! 
biggrin.gif

Me too!  I already lived in Denver, the family didn't bite.  We're safe!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #88 of 300
Quote:

That WA7 is so right in so many ways, which is why I absolutely had to have it!  Are you thinking about picking one up at all? 

Do these  things ever appear on the For Sale threads?

This is one of the reasons why I love meets and audio shows!  We get to try out - and come home with - some wonderful new toys!

Jelly.

+1, you got a review unit of AKR01?  Jelly here, as that thing sounded great.  For me, it's like the best parts of the UE600 and ER-4PT blended into one unit.

Do they sell em online? Where do I get them? I freed up some extra funds recently, so something small like this wouldn't hurt too much...after the big damage (a TH900 should be arriving this week)

Really?  You didn't like the Tralucent 1plus2 over the K3003?

My preference was TG334>1P2>K3003, The 334 just made the vocals sound heavenly, so it's a personal preference. Maybe it's my Kaedes that's been satsifying all my microdetail desires that I feel like this.

It's a shame that we didn't get the ASG2s at the table. I wanted to compare them with the 334s and see what's all the fuss about between the two. 

But it was a pretty cool table. Summit-fi full sized were all around us like a normal thing. And then we have this one table...loaded with TOTL IEMs. Made me giddy inside.

I still didn't catch the guy who has his own company (based in China) selling cheap customs ($300). He's not a member of trade here, but I really wish I could have gotten his contact. 

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #89 of 300
Quote:
Okay, finally I have some time for this.

The rest of my photos are still processing, so I'll upload them once I'm done.

Here are all I have of the Audeze closed-back prototype. I'm sure I've captured most (if not all) of the faces that got to put them on.

Liu Tim should sign up to be a model for Audeze!

Classic!

Here's another potential model:

And wolfetan, this should be your Facebook profile photo!

Thanks for these Bill-P!!!  What a great moment for us all in that hot room, small fans kickin...

and 

wolfetan44

were we listening to the Carabou remix of Radiohead's  "Little By Little" for this too????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back