2012 College Football Thread
Sep 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #31 of 210
Another fantastic, undrafted QB: Darron Thomas. He won last year's Rose Bowl, and he set the Oregon record for TD passes, both single-season and career in less than three seasons played. He's also 6'3", wth?

"At the end of his junior season, Thomas chose forgo his senior year to enter the 2012 NFL Draft but was not drafted nor signed as an undrafted free agent by any NFL team."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darron_Thomas

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #32 of 210
Gosh, I was tempted to call that OK STATE upset. It seemed like an obvious upset, but I was unsure about Arizona. Pac 12 took care of business.

Arky got caught looking ahead. It's tough to pick against Alabama, but I'm saying Arkansas gets it done somehow in week 3.

Don't look now, guys, but Notre Dame is 2-0. Their games with Michigan State always seem like they're close. I'm picking Irish as they're lucky enough to out-luck Mark Dantonio.

USC/Stanford. Another shocker. I'm taking Stanford. I'm also taking the Oxford educated football team over the horns. Finally, I like Tennessee over Florida.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #33 of 210
I had a great time at the NU - Vandy game last night, and Syracuse's very strong showing against USC shows that my Wildcats have beaten a couple pretty decent teams here in the early going.

Lots of other eye popping results yesterday. Bucky was not lucky in Corvalis. Or even good. Hogs got tied by one of those UL teams than no one can remember. Irish were lucky to squeak by a Purdue team that no one knows the quality of yet. But they sure didnt allow 50 points to ND. Michigan showed that it can still score a lot as long as it isn't playing Alabama. It also showed that Alabama's offense may still have a lot to prove.

The New Kids On the (SEC) Block tried hard but failed. But they certainly were not embarrassed. TA&M will win a bunch of games this year. They could be a factor.

And wow - Kansas State 52, Miami 13? Goodness.

I love CFB.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #34 of 210
Quote:
And wow - Kansas State 52, Miami 13? Goodness.
I love CFB.

Wasn't that something? Granted, Miami isn't the old Miami, but Collin Klein may very well be my favorite player to watch in College Football right now. I don't understand why he doesn't receive more Heisman love. K-State is also underranked and should be a top 15 team. They have a shot to win at least 10 games this year.

Sep 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #35 of 210
A&M has nothing to be ashamed of, they played a solid game and had Florida back on their heels for 3 quarters. Mizzou? The first half was great. Second? Ehh, they have some work to do, their depth in key defensive positions is not up to SEC standards. Time for them to hit the weight room and work on conditioning. Two weeks from now is a tough test in the C0ck Pit against the most evil man in college football (don't let the visor fool you). Then a couple weeks after that they're hosting Bama, the Georgia game will feel like patty-cake in comparison.

Welcome to the SEC, boys. Sorry `bout your jock strap, hope there wasn't anything too important in it. :D

Sep 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #36 of 210
Wow. Louisiana-Lafayette? Oregon State? Heh.

I'm thrilled that the Bruins seem to be right on track. A little fine tuning on special teams and this team could be relevant this year. And now they have two more tough but winnable home games.

Not buying Stanford over USC. They won by a big margin yesterday but they only beat San Jose by three. Duke doesn't really have a football team (picked for last in the ACC).

The Kansas State game was interesting but how bad is Miami this year, that is the question.

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #37 of 210
We'll see on Stanford/USC. They have to lose somewhere, right? How else will the SEC get its teams into the MNC game?

Kansas State is #15/#14 in updated polls. Miami is not good this year, but they still have athletes all over the field. Dismantling them the way K-State did is extremely impressive. Moreover, K-State didn't really do anything to become a worse team from last year. The Wildcats come to Norman in two weeks. I'm expecting a great game.

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #38 of 210
Quote:
We'll see on Stanford/USC. They have to lose somewhere, right? How else will the SEC get its teams into the MNC game?

Knocking the Trojans out of the running is UCLA's job
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #39 of 210

Don't hate us because we're powerful. :wink: Fact is, Alabama could probably whip several NFL teams right now. They should be segregated to their own division, I-A+, or something like that.

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #40 of 210
Quote:
I think UCLA has an excellent shot against #15 Nebraska this weekend. They're only 5.5 pt underdogs and Jim Mora is perfect for that team. This also coincides with UCLA's general athletic revival (centered around the newly-renovated Pauley Pavilion which opens in November).

I also expect UCLA men's basketball to return to major relevance this year. Yes under Howland. It's a good time to play out of Westwood!

I like you!

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #41 of 210
biggrin.gif

The Bruins are officially in the top 25! They're #22 according to the AP, #23 is USA Today's poll, and #25 in the SI Power Rankings.

Great article re the resurgence of a couple of Pac-12 "doormats" here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/09/09/ucla-oregon-state-arkansas/?xid=si_topstories

Of course UCLA hasn't always been a doormat, they've won a few Rose Bowls in their time...

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #43 of 210
I remember they went 3/3 in Rose Bowls (way) back in the '80's, many more appearances overall. They were even the National Champions in the '50s but that was before my time!

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #45 of 210
Chucks! I was way off with Alabama/Arkansas. I thought maybe Wilson would play seeing as how this is SEC ball and all, but it's obviously the right choice for him to sit. Alabama would kill him and the kid probably has a career in the NFL about which to think.

Va Tech with the annual bad loss. Now you figure the Hokies win out.

Cal and ULM with tough losses. I'm hoping we get some good games tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back