2012 College Football Thread
Nov 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #93 of 210
If all 3 unbeaten teams remain unbeaten this will be another NCAA football NCG quagmire.  Even if that happens aand Alab wins SEC championship there is a real possibility on strength of schedule that Alab may end up in NCG.

You heard it here 1st Derick Dooley is done at Univ Tenn let the coaching musical chairs ensue. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #94 of 210
If all 3 unbeaten teams remain unbeaten this will be another NCAA football NCG quagmire.  Even if that happens aand Alab wins SEC championship there is a real possibility on strength of schedule that Alab may end up in NCG.

You heard it here 1st Derick Dooley is done at Univ Tenn let the coaching musical chairs ensue. 

Yay! and yes, I did write a strongly worded email to the athletic dept. Do you have a link, I'm not seeing it in the news.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #95 of 210
Quote:

Nope.  Bama cannot leapfrog any of the current unbeatens.  Two of them have to lose.  Sorry SEC fans, that's just life.

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #96 of 210
Nope.  Bama cannot leapfrog any of the current unbeatens.  Two of them have to lose.  Sorry SEC fans, that's just life.

That could be incorrect based on Georgia's SoS, which is much, much greater than K.St's. They need to win convincingly to stave off the Bulldogs, if Ga sweeps the rest of the season and beats Bama in the SEC Championship game.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #97 of 210
But in the BCS weighting, SOS won't be enough to put them over the top, because the human polls will not move a one-loss SEC team over the undefeated three.

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #98 of 210
Quote:

I dont see how you can say that Skylab, im not proposing that alabama or georgia WILL be in the NCG, im just saying that i believe there to be a pretty high chance of that happening. I think that who ever wins the SEC championship has a solid chance of fighting their way back into the mix.

my guess is that the NCG will be Oregon and whoever wins the SEC championship. the BCS's job isnt to pick the two best undefeated teams to play each other in the NCG, its to pick the two best teams in the country, and i dont think you can honestly say that K State or notre dame are better than georgia or bama.

though it could also be wishful thinking on my part. the ducks have to beat an SEC team in the NCG to get respect, beating up on K State would get us nothing

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #99 of 210
Read my post above.  The SOS component of the computer models that are part of the BCS formula are not enough to make up the difference in W-L records combined with the fact that the SEC champion will not leapfrog the unbeatens in the human polls.  Now, you can try to argue that maybe the SEC champ WILL leapfrog one of the current unbeatens in the human polls, but history isn't on your side.

And we are not talking about Boise State here.  Some of you are trying to suggest that a one loss SEC champ would jump over an undefeated PAC-12 or Big-12 team.  That's not reasonable, at all.  The SEC is not THAT great this Q.  SEE: FLA-ULLAF :wink:

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #101 of 210
Indeed! And just so it's clear, I think the SEC winner will for SURE jump any of the current unbeatens if they lose.  There is no doubt there.

Oregon has a brutal remaining schedule.  If they come through that undefeated, it will be impressive. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #102 of 210
Quote:
Oregon has a brutal remaining schedule.  If they come through that undefeated, it will be impressive. 

Agreed on that point, i think we'll get enough of a boost in the computers from those two game, not to mention the championship game, to take number 1 overall from K State. i dont even think theres a question there.

I still think that a 1 loss bama or georgia hot off the sec championship game, could overtake ND for 3rd in the human polls, and their SoS could boost them past K State into the NCG, but we will have to wait and see, its not too much longer

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #103 of 210
Have you actually looked at the remaining schedules of these teams?

Georgia plays Georgia Southern (FCS) and Georgia Tech (mediocre), then presumably ALA

Alabama plays W. Carolina (FCS) and Auburn (awful), then presumably UGA

KSU plays Baylor (mediocre) and Texas (#15)

ND plays Wake Forest (awful) and USC (#18)

Oregon will play three top 25 teams in a row, including the PAC12 title game.

So, prior to the SEC title game, Bama and UGA's SOS will go DOWN, not up.  The SEC title game alone isn't going to be nearly enough to bounce their SOS over the undefeateds (if they don't lose), given the schedules of the others.

The team that will be bitching the most will be ND - they could very well go undefeated and not play in the NCG.  But the idea of an undefeated ND playing the SEC winner is kind of enticing :wink:

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #104 of 210
Quote:
Yay! and yes, I did write a strongly worded email to the athletic dept. Do you have a link, I'm not seeing it in the news.

[size=medium]The plan ahead[/size]

John Brice
VolQuest.com

Tennessee is expected to seek its fourth head football coach since 2008 by season's end, numerous sources have told VolQuest.com, and based on conversations with multiple people the final piece of the equation centers on when to formally signal the imminent end of the three-year Derek Dooley era. The question at this point seems only to be when and not if Tennessee will make a change following a disturbing 51-48, four-overtime loss Saturday afternoon to Missouri inside Neyland Stadium
This is the original piece now it is up on SI's website as well.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #105 of 210
I grew up in Tennessee and I hope the Vols can get it back together and become part of the SEC elite again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back