2011 College Football Thread
Oct 6, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #226 of 564
So TCU is going to the Big12 after all. Makes much more sense than the Big East. TCU will just slide right in where A&M was.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #227 of 564

Quote:
So TCU is going to the Big12 after all. Makes much more sense than the Big East. TCU will just slide right in where A&M was.

Now if they can just pick up SMU or Rice the Big12 will be right back on top.  I am hoping we don't get saddled with Mizzou.  Would much rather have WVU in the SEC.  We need a team to fill out an East division slot.  Makes scheduling much less complicated.

Oct 7, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #228 of 564
Agreed. Mizzou should stay put, and the B12 should add either the two you mentioned, or someone like Memphis. And then perhaps we can be done with the insanity. BE will add ECU and Temple for football, and we can call it a day.

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #229 of 564

Quote:
Agreed. Mizzou should stay put, and the B12 should add either the two you mentioned, or someone like Memphis. And then perhaps we can be done with the insanity. BE will add ECU and Temple for football, and we can call it a day.

Only problem with that is we still need #14 and there are a lot of us that would love for it to be WVU.  But then there is a large group that would like for it to be Mizzou.  My dream picks would be the Seminoles, VT, or Clemson, but that will never happen.  VT is most likely the only team that could pull the 9 votes needed.

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #232 of 564

Quote:

I think TCU to the Big 12 makes more sense to TCU than the Big East.  However, I think this is a very short sided move by the Big 12.  The whole reason for expansion is money.  TCU has a small alumni base/fan base and the Big 12 already has a stranglehold on the Dallas/Fort Worth TV market.  It seems getting TCU was just about getting another team right now.  What happens if Gary Patterson takes another job someplace?  TCU likely goes back to being irrelevant. 

My favorite line about TCU to the Big 12:  [size=x-small]The Big 12 getting TCU is the equivalent of scoring with your wife. Technically you get credit for the W, but you can't really brag about it.[/size]

Oct 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #233 of 564

Quote:

Louisville would be another school worth mentioning, along the same lines as Memphis, that might be an OK add for the Big 12.  I can't imagine any "home-run" type team would want to go there with all the recent instability.  Both these schools at least expand the geographic footprint and give the promise of new TV markets. (Unlike TCU)

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #234 of 564
TCU was also about adding another Texas trip for the North schools to recruit for. I don't mind the move and think the Horned Frogs can do well in a major (ha! is the Big 12 still major?) conference. It's a small school but a good school with a large endowment (larger than OU's btw). They just pumped a very healthy $150 million into stadium expansion for example. Also, there is the DFW recruiting bed. Quality players won't be a problem. Let me add that Texas A&M hasn't been some football power. The Aggies have been barely over .500 the past decade, claim a lone MNC waaaaaaay back in 1939, plus have a middling borderline pathetic for their size, 18 conference championships in over 110 years of football. In no way, is it an even swap. Only an idiot would argue that of course. Buuuuuut I can see it considering the circumstances.

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #235 of 564
I'm just looking forward to going to our game Saturday. 6 PM kick, so lots of time for tailgating. Game is sold out, will be a great atmosphere. Will be my one and only chance to see Denard Robinson play live, and yet I hope he doesn't complete a pass and rushes for two yards (fat chance, I know). We will be lucky if we are still in it at halftime.

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #237 of 564
Hook'em horns... well maybe not. Dominating performance from OU. Better get some respect now.

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #238 of 564
What a whoopin' that was. 

K-State looks like the next real test for OU. That's a legit squad coached by a master. 

Not sure what's wrong with the Noles. They looked pretty nasty on defense when OU played them. 

I'm okay with the B12 getting TCU. I wish SMU had TCU's modern football prestige as I like SMU as a school over TCU. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #239 of 564
Master is right. We watched that game and began to marvel at KSU. They're built out of tindersticks but just play sound football. What Snyder has done there is remarkable...again. In case anyone has forgotten, KSU was one of the all time worst FBS programs pre-Snyder. Here's an old Big 8 story for you. Back in the 80's, KSU agreed to play in Norman several years in a row. Why? Their attendance was so low. Their program so pitiful, they would rather forfeit their scheduled home date because the visitor's fee was more lucrative. It doesn't get much lower than that. 

All hail Snyder. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #240 of 564
With the exception of Nebraska's epic comeback and UCLA (who cares, okay me) rallying for a win, pretty ho-hum day for the most part. The top teams have showed no sign of faltering, and Clemson has continued their roll.

But the Gamecocks have found their field general, that seems clear:

"[Sophomore QB] Shaw's four touchdown passes were as many as [5th year senior-ouch!] Garcia has thrown all season and the most in a game for any South Carolina quarterback in almost five years."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back