2011 College Football Thread
Sep 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #181 of 564

Quote:
I seriously think The winner of the Wisconsin - Nebraska game will win the bIg Ten and be undefeated. Michigan State isn't as good as I thought, and Ohio State looks as mediocre as I thought.

Nebraska is going to have to start playing some defense if they want to stay unbeaten.  Their schedule is pretty brutal.  I don't see Nebraska going unbeaten.  Wisconsin more likely.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #182 of 564

Quote:
I would love to see Boise in the Pac-12 for these reasons, they would be a good fit. Let them take on Stanford, Oregon and USC and see if they stay in the conversation. It would be a win-win as they would strengthen the conference overall.

I've been saying this for years, BSU needs to join a real conference or get used to second tier bowl games since they're in a second tier conference.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #183 of 564
Quote:
I would love to see Boise in the Pac-12 for these reasons, they would be a good fit. Let them take on Stanford, Oregon and USC and see if they stay in the conversation. It would be a win-win as they would strengthen the conference overall.

Boise State belongs nowhere near the Pac-12 due to poor academics, tradition, and fit with the other Pac schools.  Colorado made sense but Utah was pushing it.  In all bluntness, the Pac would barely consider Oklahoma State and Texas Tech (and were net negatives without OU and UT balancing things out), and those two schools bring far more than Boise State.

There's a lot more to Div1A conferences than college football competitiveness.  Cal, Stanford, UCLA, and USC presidents would kill any Boise State bid instantly.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find many Pac students and alum thrilled about the idea of Boise State joining the conference.

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #184 of 564

Quote:
I seriously think The winner of the Wisconsin - Nebraska game will win the bIg Ten and be undefeated. Michigan State isn't as good as I thought, and Ohio State looks as mediocre as I thought.

I don't see Nebraska going undefeated.  They have always manged to somehow loose a game that there is no way in hell they should have lost

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #185 of 564
Elysian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boise State belongs nowhere near the Pac-12 due to poor academics, tradition, and fit with the other Pac schools

ding ding ding....along with tv sets. One can't forget that important, perhaps all important part of the equation. Boise is in a tough situation where a major conference is a concerned. There is hope for them however. Maybe the Big 12 +/- X will become so desperate, as to offer an invite. The bickering clan would like some new members to torture er involve. 

Other than that, it's the same old points I've read a thousand times. I do love it when they beat big boys myself. Something is always wrong afterward though. BSU could defeat the 74 Steelers, and there would be some excuse for why it doesn't matter. For the rest of my extremely informed and insightful opinion about Bronco BCS worth, please consult the 2009? Head-Fi College Football thread.

One fresh and common take I submit is that Kellen Moore is a stud and joy to watch; my favorite non-Sooner player in CF at the moment; well maybe next to DJ Fluker. I'm a fan of the man mountain!

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #186 of 564
I felt a little bad about writing that about BSU, especially if any BSU alum are tracking this thread, but I wanted to be explicit on why it's just as likely to see a school like Fresno St or Nevada join the Pac (in other words, very unlikely), as BSU.  If we go to 16, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, and Missouri are far more appealing in every single regard minus cfb competitiveness, which isn't a determining factor on go or no-go for conference admittance.

I was also thinking about the tv sets argument but didn't want to throw stones since, according to the widely-circulated NYT fans post, BSU technically has more fans than a handful of Pac schools.
http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/19/the-geography-of-college-football-fans-and-realignment-chaos/

A lot of peple have thrown the accuracy of those numbers into doubt, though, and I'd imagine the people running the financial models over and negotiating the broadcast rights have a much better sense of what the true numbers are.

I'm forcing myself not to talk about realignment too much here, as I figured it's probably uninteresting or irrelevant to most of the fans in this thread :)

Anyway, it's really too bad for BYU given that, as many have noted, they could easily go undefeated and still not get a BCS bid.  I still think consolidation to four 16 superconferences is in the future, but there seems to be a good argument that it'll be really bad for tradition and regional rivalries.

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #187 of 564
Well tomorrow is going to be stressful for this Hog fan.  Playing the Tide at their house is going to be a test to say the least.  We actually are capable of beating them, but we have to keep it togeher and not beat ourselves.  Passing game is better than it has ever been as far as recievers go, but our lines are a little young (but still pretty good) and our running game took a bit of a hit with Davis going down pre-season. Special teams have been pretty good also.  I guess tomorrow we will really see where we stand.  Woo Pig Sooee!!!! 

P.S. To our new brothers in the SEC (you know who you are) see you next week at Jerry's place.  Hopefully by then all the Baylor B.S. will be over and we can officially celebrate your departure from the Big whatever they are calling it these days and welcome you to your new home.  Can't wait to make it official.  Now if we could somehow swing the Seminoles as #14.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #188 of 564
You know, I haven't heard much chatter from the FSU side about us moving anymore. Perhaps it's due to the increased buyout for ACC teams, but perhaps one of the parties just isn't interested.

I am so nervous about tomorrow. Fate of the season rests on the right arm of a 105 pound quarterback.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #190 of 564
Well, I only missed on one pick so far, in that I took Pitt over ND. Close, but not quite, but I did pick KState over Miami :D

Didn't see Temple crushing Maryland...glad I didn't bother to call that one. Most other things went as expected so far other than my upset pick. Kinda wish W Michigan could have held on against Illinois.

SweetA, I feel for ya. Your troops did their very best to rally.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #192 of 564

Quote:
Nebraska is going to have to start playing some defense if they want to stay unbeaten.  Their schedule is pretty brutal.  I don't see Nebraska going unbeaten.  Wisconsin more likely.

Although I'm a huge Nebraska fan, I kinda have to agree with you. But, if we can get through next week's game against Wisconsin, I could definitely see an undefeated season. It looks like Wisconsin is gonna be the toughest challenge of our season.

Sep 25, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #194 of 564
Yep that was a major monkey off their back in Tempe, they finally won a big one.

The Wolfpack had the Red Raiders right where they wanted them after 563 yards of offense, too bad they missed that 31-yard FG.

Clemson is on a serious roll, and will play another ranked and undefeated team next week so watch out.

Boise State won't be in the Pac 12 anytime soon but Chris Peterson may be headed that way.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #195 of 564

Although I'm a huge Nebraska fan, I kinda have to agree with you. But, if we can get through next week's game against Wisconsin, I could definitely see an undefeated season. It looks like Wisconsin is gonna be the toughest challenge of our season.

There could be 100 total points scored in that game. Should be a lot of fun. I hope that game is in a different time slot than our game with Illinois next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back