2011 College Football Thread
Sep 22, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #166 of 564
LSU vs West Virginia... I think.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #167 of 564
Yeah that was my guess too but I don't know which is which lol. I guess one team has a coach that wears a hat and the other has his toes showing... anyways I would take LSU on the road in that one.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #168 of 564
Some good games this weekend for sure, and NU is off, so I will get to see most/all of them except when ferrying the kids about.

Picks:

Panthers over Irish

Bengals over Mountain men

Elephants over Hogs

Pokes over Aggies

Death Valley Tigers over Semis

And my upset pick of the week - K-State over The U

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #169 of 564
Irish over ACC bound Pitt
LSU over UWV
SEC bound Aggies beat Okie State in a shootout
Bama over Our-Kansas
USC beats the Sun Devils
Ohio State over the Buffs.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #170 of 564

Quote:
Giving OSU a scare is not that difficult to do this year.  OSU has no QB and are going to struggle scoring points on nearly everyone.  Any team with a pulse offensively has a shot to beat OSU this year.

Toledo is a well coached team with some offensive weapons.  Defense and special teams are highly questionable.  They are one of the top 3 in the MAC, but they are by no means a benchmark to judge a top tier program.  

Boise showed great against a top 20 Georgia team.  After Boise (in all likelihood) runs the table, they will be worthy of a BCS bowl.  Personally, I feel the SEC champ and any undefeated BCS conference school has priority over Boise in the championship game.  There is a huge difference in having to beat a worthy opponent week after week, to just having to get up for 1-2 games a year.  On any given day Boise can beat anyone.  I still don't buy they could get through a major conference unbeaten.  

If their aren't any undefeated BCS conference schools, than I'd love to see Boise take on the SEC champ for the title.

People keep using Georgia as a benchmark, but they are not even rated anymore.  In all honesty, they should never have been IMO.  I would say any 1 loss SEC or Big 12 team should have priority over the Broncos.  I am sorry, but they are going to have to beef up their schedule quite a bit before I jump on their bandwagon.  Going undefeated playing a creampuff schedule is not that impressive IMO.

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #171 of 564
Boise is a solid #4 but they won't be moving up the ladder until 5th November. The Aggies have the best schedule to move on up but do they have the team, we will find out tomorrow.
That should be a good one, and it's on network TV
beerchug.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #173 of 564
Make 'em play each other, that's what I say! But going by strength of schedule of course not. Well maybe Texas and Florida...

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #174 of 564
I guess the reason I have always placed a lot of value in strength of schedule is the teams with the tough schedule get beat up through the regular season.  When the bowl games come around they usually have a fair amount of injured starters sitting on the bench or if they can play, they are not at full strength.  The team that gets the easy road is sitting pretty and they have to really only get up for one tough game.  But, that is just my opinion.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #175 of 564
No one but Viro likes my Devils this week? I don't blame ya, they're a bunch of mistake-prone mega-athletes. It's annoying as heck to watch. I blame Erickson, I don't think he really does anything at this point, he's just a face. Can we get Mike Leach on the phone already? I think being at home will give them the edge over the mighty Prophylactics though.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #176 of 564

Quote:
Let me throw this at you.  Say a team like LSU, Bama, OU, Texas, or Florida ends the year with one loss to a top 5 team other than Boise.  Could you honestly rate an undefeated Boise above the team with one loss.

The SEC champ deserves priority over anyone, even with 1 loss.  After 5 straight national championships, like it or not, they are the benchmark. OU has been beaten more times than I can count in the championship game.  I'd prefer to see what Boise could do, if OU has one loss and Boise was unbeaten.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #177 of 564
OU has lost 2 close championship games (one a LSU home game, one a Florida home game), got blown out of 1 championship game, and won 1 championship game from 2000-2008. Would you seriously prefer not to have your team IN the game for nearly half the decade?

I give Boise plenty of respect, but I have to agree that if they were in a normal conference they would not go unbeaten or 1 loss year after year.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #178 of 564
I would love to see Boise in the Pac-12 for these reasons, they would be a good fit. Let them take on Stanford, Oregon and USC and see if they stay in the conversation. It would be a win-win as they would strengthen the conference overall.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #179 of 564

Quote:
Would you seriously prefer not to have your team IN the game for nearly half the decade?

No shame in losing the championship game.  My comment was harsher than it should have been about NC losses.  It's an achievement to just get there.  If OU goes undefeated, I would want to see them take on the SEC champ again.  If they get through the Big 12 unbeaten after beating a top 5 FSU team, they've earned a shot.  If OU stumbles once, then I think it's time to give Boise their shot.  (Unless another BCS conference team stays unbeaten)  

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #180 of 564
I seriously think The winner of the Wisconsin - Nebraska game will win the bIg Ten and be undefeated. Michigan State isn't as good as I thought, and Ohio State looks as mediocre as I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back