2010 - Your Favorite New Releases So Far?
Jul 24, 2010 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 149

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
I hope this doesn't seem redundant. But hey, I start one of these every year in July.

It's time to redistribute the wealth music fans. What 2010 new releases do you consider essential, progressive, or just plain enjoyable?

Top five from me:

1. High on Fire: Snakes for the Divine - super riff assault, crunchy stoner metal. The album begins with the epic tile track and never lets up. What else would one expect from HoF.
2. Monolake :Silence - depends on the country. I'll run with it. The classic dub techno magician Henke released a found sound concept album with the subject of man in a blizzard.
3. Autechre: Oversteps - my favorite Autechre since Confield. It's a little more back to their roots and sounded confident and playful.
4. Liars: Sisterworld - the art rockers brought their surfy Bret Easton Ellis vibe to the West Coast. I thought their last s/t was great, yet it's good to see them get a little more creative.
5. Barren Earth: Curse of the Red River - fusion metal members of Moonsorrow, Swallow the Sun etc. As might be expected, it's full of big, sweeping hooks and interludes.

Your favorite 2010 new releases?

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 149
so far, for me:

1.  the national - high violet
2.  the books - the way out
3.  joanna newsom - have one on me
4.  the bird and the bee - interpreting the masters vol. 1:  a tribute to daryl hall and john oates
5.  she & him - volume two

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 149
1. Béla Fleck - Throw Down Your Heart Vol. 2
2. Broken Bells - Broken Bells
3. How To Destroy Angels - How To Destroy Angels
4. Sting - Symphonicities
5. Dreadzone - Eye On The Horizon

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #6 of 149
I'm shocked moriez would have BSS on his list. Shocked! *sarcasm* Definitely a good album.

The Wuss:
 the books - the way out

Gah, I need to get around to that. Already near the top? The Lemon of Pink good? That album was a real highlight for me.

No rules here guys. It doesn't have to be top five and feel free to give some thoughts as well. Think I"ll add some dribble to the original post.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #7 of 149

Quote:
I'm shocked moriez would have BSS on his list. Shocked! *sarcasm* Definitely a good album.

Haha, a man gets less demanding with age 
wink_face.gif
 Not sure yet about less complicated.

Jul 27, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 149
What about "Fever" by bullet for my valentine....and Immersion by pendulum. 
Two good albums/releases this year. 

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 149
In no particular order:

Thomas Fehlmann - Gute Luft
Echospace - Liumin
Keith Jarrett / Charlie Haden - Jasmine
Scuba - Triangulation
The Besnard Lakes - The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #12 of 149
Haven't been lucky to find 5 yet for the year.

So far the album I liked the most this year so far has been:

The Roots - How I Got Over

It's one of the rare albums I'll listen to beginning to end without the temptation to go skip tracks.

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 149
There's been a lot of CDs this year that I've liked, some of which have already been mentioned - Broken Bells, Four Tet, Jewel, Johnny Cash, LCD Soundsystem, Patty Griffin, Sarah McLachlan, Sevendust, The Black Keys, The National.

But there's only one CD that came out this year I'd call a favorite out of all of them - Massive Attack's Heligoland. It's now my 2nd favorite Massive Attack album in their entire discography right behind Mezzanine! It took me a while to warm up to Heligoland (it required several listens before I started to appreciate it) but I officially love it now. My previous 2nd favorite MA album was Protection which has now been bumped to 3rd.
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back