2010 Winter Olympics - do you care?
Feb 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 103

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
The 2010 Winter Olympics start tomorrow.
My impression is Team USA is weak, NBC is losing over $150 million and Americans simply don't care about these games.
The opposite, IMHO, is the case in Canada, we are for once expected to dominate the overall medal count, you can't spit without hitting something olympic related, and if Team Canada makes the Gold Medal in Men's Hockey it is expected to be the most watched television event in Canadian history...not just sporting event.
So:
Do Americans care?
Do Canadians care?
Do International Head-fiers care?

crap -- that poll is horrible...I meant to add yes or no...is there anyway to edit a Poll?
(smacks self in head)

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 103
I do care! To some extent...
Will definitely watch the opening ceremony tomorrow, then take it from there. I expect Norway to take home a few gold medals.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 103
I didn't even realize they were starting anytime soon :/

My only hint was Deloitte giving me a pen with Olympic rings on it

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 103
I didn't know they were starting either. I never really got the olympics as an event. Everyone always makes such a big deal about it.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 103
I'll probably watch with a bit of nationalist zeal, but I think a lot of Canadians (myself included) are turned off by the amount of bad press our border guards and other security people are getting. People are getting punished for thoughtcrime.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 103
The unfortunate people of Vancouver will be paying for this for many years to come. Bringing in snow by chopper - it's obscene.

There is a flaw in your poll.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NBC is losing over $150 million

Wow, I read it had become a loss leader but that bad? Maybe it's their overly syrupy programming. It can make me gag some of the time.

Nevertheless American here, and I watch most of the prime time, no matter the Olympics. The older I get, the less the nationalistic stuff draws me, more the events I normally don't watch like curling, ski jumping, snowboarding, ice skating, speed skating, all that stuff is fun every four years.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 103
The snow thing is a bit disappointing. Should have been held in DC
smily_headphones1.gif

Still looking forward to it though. Curling (NOR vs. CAN the 15th), biathlon, downhill… it's all fun (beating the swedes in cross country esp.)
It's one of the few times we can allow ourselves to be a bit nationalistic, all in the spirit of fair game.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #11 of 103
i care more for this winter olympics than summer olympics but that sure doesn't mean a lot. thanks for this winter olympics reminder. if you asked me what sporting event coming this weekend and i'll say it's nba all star weekend

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 103
I care but the whole thing has to be scaled down from the number of events to the size of the venues ( at least half of the events should be cut). It's way too much of a financial burden for the host city and country. If a city like Vancouver is struggling to make a go of it then it is time to rethink the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back