2010 Sony Walkman Line
Aug 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

nonsupremous

1000+ Head-Fier
Sony now has this year's version of the E series up for pre order on B and H's website.  Pretty slick looking player with a very nice feature set at a great price.  It makes me wonder what other updates will be made to the Walkman line this year.

Anyone care to speculate, or have a wish list or actually have some insider news on this year's models? 

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #2 of 39
I'm waiting for the 64GB A Series myself, as it's being released in the EU - I'm hoping for a USA release as well.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 39
I wish one of the headfiers were the head of sony's audio dept.
I'll take care of the CEO part
beerchug.gif

& do you people expect any better audio from next gen. sony ; as of now .......i dont.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 39
I sure don't think the audio will sound any different.  It seems that the S Master amp is a real winner at this point.  If they re do the X series, I would love to see them put the HO on the bottom of the player not the top.  Just a personal preference. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 39
I'm getting a Cowon J3 - the Sony DAP's can't power most HP's without a separate amp, but the J3 can. Sorry to say but Sony is a no/go for me, even if the sound quality is so good. Cowon is just as good, and has more sound tweaks/adjustments for my playing around with.

Aug 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 39
http://www.softsailor.com/news/4316-rumor-sony-android-powered-walkman-coming-in-2010.html

How true it is I don't know. Would be interesting plus it should be 64GB Minimum I would prefer 128GB but I don't see that happening.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 39

The Cowon does not support AAC though does it?  That would be the killer for me.  2500 of my songs are encoded in AAC.  Too many to try to convert to MP3.  Have you been able to compare the Sony X and the J3 side by side?  The Sony's do a pretty solid job driving headphones.  Is the J3 the top of the line Cowon?  Might be something to pick up in the future and start a very slow conversion process.

Quote:
I'm getting a Cowon J3 - the Sony DAP's can't power most HP's without a separate amp, but the J3 can. Sorry to say but Sony is a no/go for me, even if the sound quality is so good. Cowon is just as good, and has more sound tweaks/adjustments for my playing around with.

They typically will release new models around the September time frame.  Apple will do a big event to roll out the new Ipods, and then Sony will typically follow quietly after that. 

But they might beat them to the punch this year as they already have the new version of the E series for pre order.  Who knows.  The one thing I can say about Sony is they have never taken advantage of marketing strategies in the US.  They just put no effort or money into it.  It's a shame because they are at or near the top of the heap.
Quote:
When do they usually do new releases? I'm looking into a new sony walkman and will be willing to wait.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 39

Quote:
The Cowon does not support AAC though does it?  That would be the killer for me.  2500 of my songs are encoded in AAC.  Too many to try to convert to MP3.  Have you been able to compare the Sony X and the J3 side by side?  The Sony's do a pretty solid job driving headphones.  Is the J3 the top of the line Cowon?  Might be something to pick up in the future and start a very slow conversion process.

They typically will release new models around the September time frame.  Apple will do a big event to roll out the new Ipods, and then Sony will typically follow quietly after that. 

But they might beat them to the punch this year as they already have the new version of the E series for pre order.  Who knows.  The one thing I can say about Sony is they have never taken advantage of marketing strategies in the US.  They just put no effort or money into it.  It's a shame because they are at or near the top of the heap.

Nice to know, thanks. Been thinking about getting one since august but knew that refreshes usually occur during september or october for the big guys.

I have the Sony MDR 7506 headphones and use it daily. Would a headphone amp be beneficial while using a sony walkman? I was looking at the portable pico or headstage arrow amps.

Also, if anyone knows, how's the noise cancelling technology on the x-series. Heard that the A-series has them and was intrigued by it. Not a deal-breaker, but just curious.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 39
Speaking of Sony's marketing, whatever happened to their blue alien dwarf? I remember always knowing what DAP to buy by what that guy endorsed.

Has he moved on to doing ads in Europe, or is it more of a Japanese thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back