2010 Montreal FSI [Head-fi] Meet
Feb 22, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 129
By the way, the Head-Direct rep (Nankai) told me he'd send me some samples to demo at the meet, so we should have more interesting stuff at the show! And I will probably have it before the meet so I'll have some time alone with it
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[...]
It seems we will have our own room at the show! We wouldn't be alone in the room but it would be entirely devoted to headphones. He also asked me to "design" the perfect room for our needs (!!!), so I said :

- Having tables spread around the walls with separaters between them for greater intimacy for the different setups.

[...]

- He might put some monster or bose stands in the room.

[...]

-Everyone who thinks about coming or lending gear at someone for them to have it exposed at the SSI should think about a way of protecting their stuff.

Other good news:

- We won't have to pay the accident insurance every other exposants have to pay. In fact, we won't have to pay at all! A room like we have is around 15k, if I remember correctly... so
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Finally, he had a very interesting suggestion for us: He thought about us having a speech at some point in the meet with the people involved at the [...]

I'm very glad to hear that we are so much privileged to get a room like that for free !

About the room's disposition, you pretty much nailed it, I would try to ask for comfortable chairs, 2 per booth would be great so that it facilitates chatting between the exposants and visitors.

Bose/Monster's stand would be AWESOME so that people can hear the differences between the decent vs overpriced stuff.

In my opinion, the best way to protect your stuff would be to always stay there or ask another Head-Fier to watch if you need to leave your setup for a long period of time.

A speech would be great but it should come from someone quite experienced that can explain the technical, i.e acoustical, advantages of headphones over speakers and all that kind of stuff.

That being said, I'll be exposing my gear and I was wondering if anyone has a laptop with a Firewire bus cause I can't bring my desktop unless someone can lift me that day ( I live in Montreal now ) OR a decent source.

Here's the goodies I'll be bringing for this meet :

TC Electronics Konnekt 24D Firewire based external soundcard
DIY Canare GS-1 TRS-RCA cables
DIY SOHA II high current version with CBS 7318 tubes
Joseph Grado HP2 with JGUWBRC cable

Sony NWZ-E436F

Etymotic HF5

wink.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About the room's disposition, you pretty much nailed it, I would try to ask for comfortable chairs, 2 per booth would be great so that it facilitates chatting between the exposants and visitors.

A speech would be great but it should come from someone quite experienced that can explain the technical, i.e acoustical, advantages of headphones over speakers and all that kind of stuff.

wink.gif

Good idea for the chairs.

As for the speech, from what he told me that's the thing he doesn't want. He said people are getting used to have someone discuss the benefit of A versus B, technicalities and stuff... so he was really thrilled of having the consumer's point of view, especially someone who is not part of the audio industry.

Feb 25, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #26 of 129
To make information easier to pick for everyone, I'll put every update on the first post I made (post #5).

By the way, I think everyone should list the things they will bring at the expo so I can put it on post 5 as well.

I'll start with mine :

Denon dv-5900 modded by partsconnexion
Acurus ACD-11
Cambridge DVD89
Citypulse da7.2x
Music Hall MMF-5 + cambridge 540p

ASL HB1
ASL Twinhead mk1

cables to hook everything up

Recabled ATH-AD2000 (recabled this evening!)

My power bar will be an ATARI splitter that me and my dad found out with my brother's first computer (I was 1 year old at that time). Man, you guys are in for a laugh!

I'll update post #5 tomorrow.

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #27 of 129
My gear, such as it might be:

AKG K701
Sennheiser HD280Pro
Beta22 (Almost definitely)
Twisted Pear Audio USB Receiver (used as DAC and amplifier)
Toshiba lappy

Looking forward to the meet / exposition.

I'll bring many extension cords and power bars: I remember we used all of them last year and could easily have used more.

Doesn't the show start on the Thursday and not the Friday? or is that for journalists and the like. And will I have to leave my stuff there or can I ferry it back and forth.?

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #28 of 129
Let me know what you might be interested in... I'd like to avoid people bringing several time the same item.
I have on hand :
K701
Grado HF2 (with jumbo, maybe recabled by then)
HD650 unfoamed and recabled
WA2 maxxed with blackgates
Beta22 3ch... 99% done by now but probably won't be enclosed before the show
Dacmagic
silver interconnect, home cooked
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #29 of 129
I'll bring these for sure:

JH13 Pro
Sheer Audio HA-006+ (Dynalo)
Adcom GDA-600
MacBook
Pico Slim (if I receive it before the meet)

Random stuff I can bring if needed:

Squeezebox
Denon DA-500 DAC
iPod Touch
Sansa Clip+
PortaPros
KSC-75

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #30 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by papomaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, the Head-Direct rep (Nankai) told me he'd send me some samples to demo at the meet, so we should have more interesting stuff at the show! And I will probably have it before the meet so I'll have some time alone with it
k701smile.gif
k701smile.gif

I can't believe I missed this comment, that's awesome! I'd really love to hear those HE-5 orthodynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back