2009 College Football Thread
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #226 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love, love a Cinci/Iowa BCS title game. Not that either would deserve it or not, but because it would create a stink.

I'd like it too, in some perverted way, because it would probably increase the demand for a playoff. Forget about fixing health care, the number one travesty in this country is the BCS system for choosing a national champion in college football.
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #227 of 1,108
The BCS is a mess and I am sure it will generate yet another controversy this year.

I cannot understand why a playoff is so contentious. The only thing I can think of is that the traditional bowls don't want their revenues upset. But I would think that any additional games would produce huge profits for everyone.

Then again, how important is it really to have a number one? Unless you had a big March Madness style bracket, some worthy teams will be left out. Which is why I mostly care about beating the rivals, winning the conference and going to a good bowl game.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #228 of 1,108
In the spirit of the first BSC rankings, who want to post their top 10 for the season thus far (using whatever rationale you deem fit)?

I'll start:

1 Alabama
2 Florida
3 USC
4 Cincinnati
5 LSU
6 Texas
7 Miami
8 Iowa
9 TCU
10 Boise St

My rationale: Based on having watched enough of these teams, who do I feel would generally win in a neutral-field matchup?

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #229 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Arkansas provide a "tell" for possible SEC Championship game?

10/17 Florida beats Razorbacks 23-20
9/26 Alabama beats Razorbacks 35-7

Dangerous to compare common opponents, but still does not instill much confidence for Gator fans. I think there is a 50-50 chance Fla gets beat once during remaining games, but Georgia has already lost 2 so far and not a serious challenge in SEC East division............

As a Razorback fan, I would have to say no. When we went to Alabama, the team forgot to show up. We had just come off of a devastating loss to Georgia. We went up against a #5 rated Georgia and broke two schools records (most td passes and passing yardage by a QB in a game). We still lost by 10 points. Unfortunately Georgia's QB had an even better game. This was a huge letdown and I don't think they were able to recover from it before they faced Bama. But they have matured some and Florida saw a stronger team that had come off of two wins in a row against undefeated teams (Texas A&M and Auburn).

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #230 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BCS is a mess and I am sure it will generate yet another controversy this year.

I cannot understand why a playoff is so contentious. The only thing I can think of is that the traditional bowls don't want their revenues upset. But I would think that any additional games would produce huge profits for everyone.

Then again, how important is it really to have a number one? Unless you had a big March Madness style bracket, some worthy teams will be left out. Which is why I mostly care about beating the rivals, winning the conference and going to a good bowl game.

I have always felt that with as many bowl games that there are, they could be the playoff games.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #231 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they have matured some and Florida saw a stronger team that had come off of two wins in a row against undefeated teams (Texas A&M and Auburn).

Good point, and I'll add another consideration. Not to take anything away from the Hogs, but Florida did just a real tough game at LSU, while Alabama faced the Hogs after two cupcakes - North Texas and FIU.

Alabama has looked damn good, but I see no reason to discount Florida yet. They have the D to slow down the Bama rushing game and stay with them punch for punch.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #232 of 1,108
The good news is that Alabama v Florida will get decided on the field.

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #233 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The good news is that Alabama v Florida will get decided on the field.

If they both can make it to Atlanta. Florida looks pretty safe with their remaining schedule (no 1 loss team in the East), but Bama has to go to Death Valley to play LSU (1 conference loss at present) so anything could happen there. If LSU were to beat Bama, and win the rest of their conference games, and LSU win the rest of their games (very possible) that would put them both with 1 conference loss in the West, so LSU would go to Atlanta because the tiebreaker would be they defeated Bama. It is a shame Bama and Florida are in the same conference, because they will never get to play for all the marbles.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #236 of 1,108
Quote:

If they both can make it to Atlanta. Florida looks pretty safe with their remaining schedule (no 1 loss team in the East), but Bama has to go to Death Valley to play LSU (1 conference loss at present) so anything could happen there. If LSU were to beat Bama, and win the rest of their conference games, and LSU win the rest of their games (very possible) that would put them both with 1 conference loss in the West, so LSU would go to Atlanta because the tiebreaker would be they defeated Bama. It is a shame Bama and Florida are in the same conference, because they will never get to play for all the marbles.

Good point - but if either team fails to make the title game, then the point is moot
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #237 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about dem' jackets

Sorry, but we can't talk about Georgia Tech anymore, or any other team not in the running for the BCS mythical national title game discussion. You see, football is no longer a game to be enjoyed. Instead, it's only results that matter and how those results pertain towards the big picture.

Come back next year and talk Tech, until they suffer more than one loss that is.

/Oops Tech only has one loss! Talk away! My bad. That what I get for acting like a smart butt.
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #238 of 1,108
Quote:

Rest assured that when Crimson Tide takes on LSU it will be a quick and final "mercy kill" for bayou tigers season........Bama won't be bumbling/stumbling around like Gators shakey performance........
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #239 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rest assured that when Crimson Tide takes on LSU it will be a quick and final "mercy kill" for bayou tigers season........Bama won't be bumbling/stumbling around like Gators shakey performance........
bigsmile_face.gif

Just noticed that the game will be played at Bama. I had originally thought it would be a home game for LSU. That is a major bonus for Bama. Baton Rouge is very hostile territory for visitors. LSU could still pull it off.

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #240 of 1,108

Users who are viewing this thread

Back