2009 College Football Thread
Dec 13, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #826 of 1,108
I got the impression that this was more about people giving a lot more credit to Ingram for being in the oh-so amazing essss eeeee seeeee. Gerhart put up significantly better numbers in a power conference, but you'd think he did it in the WAC or something.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #832 of 1,108
I think it's a great hire for Kansas. Gill's reputation is solid, plus he has maintained channels in the region.

That said, I think Kansas is a very tough situation. Their recent success coincided with down years at Nebraska and KSU. Now Nerbraska has life again, and Snyder is back in the little apple, plus Missouri, despite the recent rebuilding year, will remain a consistent contender. Add to that, expectations are elevated within the fan base after several upgrades to the football facilities.

I will be very impressed should Gill win consistently at KU.

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #833 of 1,108
Well, the concept of adding a 12th team to the Big Ten has heated up again. Supposedly there will be some kind of an announcement about this today, but the announcement is supposedly just one of a search, not one with the search completed. Leading candidates are said to be Syracuse, Mizzou, Cincinnati, and Rutgers.

I can't see Mizzou leaving the Big12. To me, Rutgers is too far away. So I think Syracuse and Cincy are the better choices.

Note that Notre Dame is not a candidate.

Dec 15, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #834 of 1,108
Would be shocked to see Mizzou make a move. My pick would be Cinn, but then we don't know how strong they will be with a new coach (they better make a damn good hire or it is major rebuilding for them). Syracuse may end up being the best pick. They have had some pretty good seasons in the past. As far as ND goes, they have to much of a good deal going to ever join a conference. On TV practically evey week and no conference to share the revenue with.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #835 of 1,108
And the Big Ten has made it very clear that they are inviting in more than just a football team - it would of course be all sports. This makes Syracuse more attractive that Cincy, probably...but maybe not by much.

I always thought the best choice would be Pitt - closer to the Midwest, and just think of the Pitt - PSU rivalry that could develop. But they were not mentioned so far that I heard.

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #836 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be shocked to see Mizzou make a move

I wold be surprised but not that surprised. There has been smoke over Missouri to the Big Ten ever since I can remember. They would definitely listen for reasons that have been well publicized. In the end, would that be worth one hundred years of tradition in the Missouri Valley, the Big 8, and now the Big 12? Or more importantly, would that be worth their recruiting foothold in Texas that has rekindled their football renaissance?

It is long overdue for the Big Ten to add a twelth as far as I'm concerned. Now if only the other dogged traditionalist Pac 10 would do the same. We would be really be cooking then.

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #837 of 1,108
Interestingly, I think the Big 12 can shed Mizzou and not miss a beat - they just invite in TCU, and then the MWC takes Boise St, and the WAC makes a deal with Montana to jump to FBS. On the other hand, it hurts the BE a lot to lose a team - they would have to go raid CUSA again, although I'm sure Marshall would be thrilled to join the BE, and it would be fun to have them and WVA in the same conference, and the BE is already very different in football and hoops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back