2009 College Football Thread
Nov 16, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #436 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Buckeyes, who lost to Purdue, will go to the Rose Bowl and face an Oregon team that needed a miracle to beat that same Purdue team. The Buckeyes are playing much better now than they were then. I wouldn't give the Ducks the Rose Bowl trophy just yet.

We will have to see how Ohio State fares in the Rose Bowl, but my lament about Bowl tie-ins wasn't limited to them or the Big Ten. For example, I think it would be been great to see USC in the past couple of years against Texas or one of other good teams that didn't make it to the championship game. But they had to go to the Rose Bowl to challenge the Big Ten champ -- although it wasn't much of one.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

As for the conference tie-ins - in the case of the Big Ten and Pac Ten playing each other every year in the Rose Bowl, this has been going on for a LOOOOOONG time, and represents what is GOOD about college football. In comparison, the BCS is a flight-of-fancy modern construct that will be long gone someday, and the Big Ten and Pac Ten champions will still be playing in the Rose Bowl long after it's gone.

I know it's been going on for a long time, but that doesn't mean change isn't in order. And I agree the current BCS system (along with inane BCS computer system) is a joke. But wasn't the BCS basically conceived to preserve the current bowl system and the tie-ins?

Thus, I don't think the tie-ins are what's good about college football. But if they want to put a Big Ten team and a Pac Ten team in the Rose Bowl as part of round one of the playoff, that's fine with me -- as long as they don't do it with high seeded teams (which is similar to the problem we're going to have with the SEC championship in a few weeks).

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #437 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no transitive rule in football.

Several years ago Sports Illustrated reviewed a series of results in college football and used the transitive logic to determine that the best team in the country was some very obscure Division III team, as I recall. They had to utilize about 20 or so game results to get there, but it was quite funny.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #438 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if they want to put a Big Ten team and a Pac Ten team in the Rose Bowl as part of round one of the playoff, that's fine with me .

I would say of the many obstacles to a playoff, the Big Ten, Pac Ten, and by relation the Rose Bowl, are the largest. So one would surmise that for any progress to to occur, those three entities must be appeased somehow. There just isn't a clean answer from what I have read.

In the end, I think the bowls should just be scrapped. Higher seed would get a home game like in the NFL and FCS until maybe a neutral site for the final. I understand that would be painful, and tradition is part of what has made college football great. It's a perplexing problem with a myriad of solutions and passionate dissenters to either side. And above all, it's a problem the Presidents don't seem very concerned with.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #439 of 1,108
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the end, I think the bowls should just be scrapped.

I kind of agree, or at least they could have a 8 or 16 team playoff, and still have the Pizza Hut Bowl, etc., for those teams that don't make the playoffs. It appears that money must be a large part of the motivation for retaining the current system, however, which I suppose is not surprising. Money is also why we'll soon have 18 regular season NFL football games and the Super Bowl in March, and the World Series ending around Thanksgiving.
rolleyes.gif
I'm a capitalist, but I sure wish some consideration about what's good for the game would enter into these decisions.

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #440 of 1,108
I just cannot get on board with scrapping the Bowls. I do believe that tradition is what made college football great, and continues to, and completely scrapping the bowls isn't the way forward. There has to be a better way.

Speaking of Bowls, Virometal, there is an ugly scenario brewing that would match your Sooners and my Wildcats in the Alamo Bowl. This would be a sort of doomsday scenario for both clubs - too far of a fall for OU, and too tough an opponent for NU. I'm hoping we go to the Champs Sports bowl and plan UNC - much better match-up for us.

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #441 of 1,108
Quote:

I just cannot get on board with scrapping the Bowls. I do believe that tradition is what made college football great, and continues to, and completely scrapping the bowls isn't the way forward. There has to be a better way.

Speaking of Bowls, Virometal, there is an ugly scenario brewing that would match your Sooners and my Wildcats in the Alamo Bowl. This would be a sort of doomsday scenario for both clubs - too far of a fall for OU, and too tough an opponent for NU. I'm hoping we go to the Champs Sports bowl and plan UNC - much better match-up for us.

I don't know about OU being to tough of an opponent. Your Wildcats didn't' seem to do to bad against Iowa. OU is having an off year. Happens to the best of them. Nebraska went through it and appears to be coming out of it. Michigan is going through it now. I think this year NU could hang with the Sooners.

As far as scrapping the bowls, I would not favor that. I would like to see them incorporate them into a playoff system.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #442 of 1,108
It would be lots of fun to play OU - don't get me wrong - but I don't think it's a great match-up for us. Our rush defense is better than our pass defense.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #443 of 1,108
Quote:

scrapping the bowls isn't the way forward. There has to be a better way.

If a legitimate playoff were to happen, I don't see how the bowls could be involved without crazy compromises. There are many scenarios where a higher seeded team would have to play on a de facto home field of the opponent. Travel is another concern. Even in n a smaller eight team bracket, that would mean two teams would have to travel three times. I could see a pod system where multiple games are played on one site, as in basketball, but then the whole point of bowls would be moot anyway.

I know most don't agree with me, and it doesn't matter. It won't happen soon or ever. Hell, the Prez's wouldn't even move toward a plus one for the last tv contract, even though all the machinery was already in place. I would guess the BCS will exist in some form, for a minimum of another decade.

Quote:

This would be a sort of doomsday scenario for both clubs - too far of a fall for OU, and too tough an opponent for NU. I'm hoping we go to the Champs Sports bowl and plan UNC - much better match-up for us.

That would be interesting. Honestly, I have only watched NU once this year, so I really can't speak for the matchup without further research. OU will bring a world class D, an average at best O, with a shaky kicking game, so I think you're sandbaggin'.
wink_face.gif
It's not as if the Sooners have been some kind of bowl juggernaut lately either.
redface.gif
Hell, the smart money would probably be on the Wildcats.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #445 of 1,108
TCU, Cincy, Boise......
Now that season is almost over the unbeaten "outsiders" can be more fully evaluated, they will really shake up post season bowl games

TCU
The Hornfrogs are for definitely for real both offense and defense, they can beat any of the top three straight up, I would have no problem with them in national championship game. They have the size and talent to compete with Texas & SEC

Cincinnati Bearcats
Offensively they can compete with anyone, but defensively they are a notch below TCU. They are undersized and do not play an aggressive style defense (blitz etc) to compensate for this, they must outscore opponent and hope defense does not give up more points. Defense was stronger last year, lost 10 starters, would be overmatched by top 3 defensively

Boise St
Notch below TCU and Cincy offensively, I don't think they can beat current top 3 straight up. Aggressive play style compenstates for some weakness, but not in same catagory as TCU. Even though they beat Oregon 1st game, if they played today Ducks would decisively beat them.......

Are there any believers in TCU out there..............
National championship looks like Texas vs SEC champ, TCU needs many things to happen for title shot

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #447 of 1,108
No game tonight! Bummer.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #448 of 1,108
Notre Dame has begun their coaching search. Rich Rod is going to get another year at Meatchicken. Apparently, they have a new AD coming and don't want the outgoing administrator responsible for a new coaching hire. I still think Rod's system can work, but he has to get his guys in. Next year will be do or die for him in that regard.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #449 of 1,108
Notre Dame is going to have to pay a LOT to their next head coach - clearly you get a VERY short runway at ND - not even enough to complete a recruiting cycle. Unreal. I was never sold on Weis, but the guy deserves more time than this, IMO.

There is no evidence that since the 85 scholarship rule, the BCS, and conference consolidation have all occurred, that one can run a successful independent major-college program. Probably time for ND to join the Big East in Football, too.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #450 of 1,108
Quote:

Notre Dame is going to have to pay a LOT to their next head coach - clearly you get a VERY short runway at ND - not even enough to complete a recruiting cycle. Unreal. I was never sold on Weis, but the guy deserves more time than this, IMO.

More time than 5 years? He's pulled in top talent every year, been absolutely stacked, and not succeeded. What more can you ask for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back