2008 College Football Thread!
Dec 9, 2008 at 7:37 AM Post #586 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome aboard boys. Be warned, bowl games aren't exactly Stoops' forte, so don't get your hopes up.
tongue.gif

--

biggrin.gif
In related news, water is wet.

don't feel bad. the last couple of years have been some really frustrating bowl games for my program. everyone still laughs at us. the last thing i want to see is florida winning another title. i still haven't recovered from the beating they put on us a couple of years ago for the last one. my hatred for florida goes back years. i always hated the 'ol ball coach'. so the water is wet. but is it warm?

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #587 of 756
Looking at the lines for the Big Ten's bowl games, only Iowa is favored, by 3. NU is a 13.5 point dog to Mizzou. Penn State is a 10 point dog to USC - that seems a bit much to me. tOSU also 10 points to Texas.

Here's hoping the pundits are wrong.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #588 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at the lines for the Big Ten's bowl games, only Iowa is favored, by 3. NU is a 13.5 point dog to Mizzou. Penn State is a 10 point dog to USC - that seems a bit much to me. tOSU also 10 points to Texas.

Here's hoping the pundits are wrong.

I feel fairly confident that OSU will shut Texas down.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #589 of 756
They have a good shot at it. I think this year's tOSU team will come in hungry, and not overconfident. Texas will come in overconfident.

Dec 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #590 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone still laughs at us

Sports are funny where second place is concerned. It will receive just as much, if not more ridicule as last. tOSU is one of the top programs of this decade, top five all time. I guess that's why people will dance gleefully upon its failures. Personally, I don't really hate any program. I think we're all pretty much the same. We love our schools and want to see them win. I try, sometimes poorly, to remove myself from it. In the end, what can one really do? CF is a game played by children, that I think adults invest a little too much into some of the time. I am guilty as charged.

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #591 of 756
Quote:

Sports are funny where second place is concerned. It will receive just as much, if not more ridicule as last. tOSU is one of the top programs of this decade, top five all time. I guess that's why people will dance gleefully upon its failures. Personally, I don't really hate any program. I think we're all pretty much the same. We love our schools and want to see them win. I try, sometimes poorly, to remove myself from it. In the end, what can one really do? CF is a game played by children, that I think adults invest a little too much into some of the time. I am guilty as charged.

But Michigan still sucks!
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #592 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel fairly confident that OSU will shut Texas down.

for what it is worth ohio state did beat texas in austin two years ago. of course mccoy has matured a lot since then. i think we can pull off the upset but we have to be able to impose our will and control the line of scrimage. i imagine texas will stack the box to stop beanie and have LBs spy on pryor. robiskie and hartline will have to show up in this game and make major contributions to keep the texas defense honest. something they have struggled to do in big games. hopefully they can get going off play action if beanie is able to move the pylons. if our defense holds strong and the game doesn't turn into a shoot out i think we have a chance.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #593 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for what it is worth ohio state did beat texas in austin two years ago. of course mccoy has matured a lot since then. i think we can pull off the upset but we have to be able to impose our will and control the line of scrimage. i imagine texas will stack the box to stop beanie and have LBs spy on pryor. robiskie and hartline will have to show up in this game and make major contributions to keep the texas defense honest. something they have struggled to do in big games. hopefully they can get going off play action if beanie is able to move the pylons. if our defense holds strong and the game doesn't turn into a shoot out i think we have a chance.

A shootout definitely favors Texas. I don't think Pryor is enough of a quarterback yet to really go toe-to-toe with a Texas offense in that type of game, though the kid is a huge rushing threat. But between Pryor, Wells, and the receivers it makes it very hard to zone in on any one aspect of the OSU offense. And let's face it. The Big 12 isn't exactly known for its defense. Provided the defense doesn't totally choke, I think OSU has this one in the bag.

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #594 of 756
Boy, I wouldn't underestimate the Texas' D. That's the strength of their team. To beat the Horns, a team has to attack their young safeties and contain McCoy. OU is third in the nation in sacks and didn't get that kid on the turf once. He's a surgeon. Oh and Texas has a bunch of road graters on the D-line for the nations #2 rush D.

I would pick Texas right now. Sell me some more Buckeyes! I haven't watched tOSU lately. Is Pryor throwing a better ball lately?

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #595 of 756
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penn State is a 10 point dog to USC - that seems a bit much to me.

I'm insanely biased (class of '93), but I think Penn State will be lucky to keep it within 10 points. If anything, the Rose Bowl is not a neutral bowl site. This is a home game for USC. And USC cleans up at home, especially with a month to prepare.

Dec 10, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #596 of 756
Quote:

Boy, I wouldn't underestimate the Texas' D. That's the strength of their team. To beat the Horns, a team has to attack their young safeties and contain McCoy. OU is third in the nation in sacks and didn't get that kid on the turf once. He's a surgeon. Oh and Texas has a bunch of road graters on the D-line for the nations #2 rush D.

I would pick Texas right now. Sell me some more Buckeyes! I haven't watched tOSU lately. Is Pryor throwing a better ball lately?

I'm sorry, but no team in the Big 12 plays defense. Of course, OSU doesn't have quite the powerhouse offense of Oklahoma, but Colt McCoy and that offense are in for a rude awakening. But getting back to the Texas D...they have to stop both Wells and Pryor on the ground and stop Pryor through the air and I don't think they can do it. Call it a hunch. Pryor's been getting better with the throwing. He's not exactly an elite passer, but he's getting better. But Pryor is on, Texas is in big trouble. The only way I can see Texas winning is if they jump on OSU and get a 3 or 4 touchdown lead. If it stays close or OSU jumps on Texas, Texas has no chance. Just my opinion.

Dec 10, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #597 of 756
Quote:

I'm sorry, but no team in the Big 12 plays defense.

Sure they do. I have seen them out there all the time! There is no need to apologize. That doesn't hurt my feelers.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced, and it sounds like you're set, so we shall see. The Bucks aren't exactly an offensive juggernaut you know - 78 in TO, 104 in PO, 28 in RO. There's the match-up. Texas is #2 in rushing D (how can you scoff at that?)

I think Burgla may be more on point. Good on good, who wins that battle in the trenches, when tOSU has the ball, will have the upper hand.

--

Hey Lab, do you plan on travelling to San Antone? Also, what's the good word on Minnesota for the KU match-up in the Insight?

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #598 of 756
Quote:

I'm sorry, but no team in the Big 12 plays defense. Of course, OSU doesn't have quite the powerhouse offense of Oklahoma, but Colt McCoy and that offense are in for a rude awakening. But getting back to the Texas D...they have to stop both Wells and Pryor on the ground and stop Pryor through the air and I don't think they can do it. Call it a hunch. Pryor's been getting better with the throwing. He's not exactly an elite passer, but he's getting better. But Pryor is on, Texas is in big trouble. The only way I can see Texas winning is if they jump on OSU and get a 3 or 4 touchdown lead. If it stays close or OSU jumps on Texas, Texas has no chance. Just my opinion.

we are both buckeye fans so by default i love you like a brother. unfortunately i can only agree with part of what you said. i think that texas does indeed have a stout defense. some of the offenses in the big 12 may have made it seem like they don't but that is an illusion. the big 12 is pretty pass happy with quite a few veteran quarterbacks and speed athletes that will pick even good defenses apart. texas allowed as many points as they did because of that coupled with their own offensive prowess. they do not score on clock eating sustained drives like ohio state. they strike quick and in bunches. this means they have to play defense for more series and give the other team more opportunities to score. i am much more worried about this game than you are. i don't think we are in for smooth sailing. i know we can pull out a win and am confident that we have the talent on the field and a damn fine coach on the sideline calling the shots. this game reminds me of the title game in 02. nobody gave us a shot against miami but we gutted it out for an overtime win. we can do the same again. you are on point about the style of game that is needed for a buckeye victory. i think if it is a close game we will pull it out. we need a relatively low scoring defensive game of ball control and field position. we need to keep mccoy on the sideline and grind away at the clock. we must win the turnover battle and limit their 3rd down completions. i think we need to take those factors away. texas has the depth advantage as well as the advantage on offense. for what it is worth i think we have the advantage on defense and perhaps special teams but the question remains whether our defense can contain their offense. i am very superstitious so if we return the opening kickoff for a touchdown i will throw my remote through the tv set instead of celebrating our touchdown. i wish i could share your confidence that this will be a shoe in for us. i hope you are right. i would love to see us dominate texas. we split the last two so this is our rubber match.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #599 of 756
Quote:

i have really been impressed with the maturation process of pryor. the sky is the limit with this kid. he has really been making good decisions lately. he doesn't force the ball into tight coverage and try to force plays. this is a true freshman but he has the poise and awareness of a junior or senior. he knows when to throw the ball away or tuck it and run for whatever he can get. he has the level of composure that you would not expect from a true freshman. he is very confident in his abilities but like i said my favorite thing about him is that he doesn't force the issue and make costly mistakes. on occasion he has held onto the ball too long in the pocket and taken a sack and he has also in a few instances ran with the ball when he had someone down field open but you will not see him throwing the ball into double coverage. i certainly can live with that. he is a star in the making and i cannot sing his praises enough. i forgot to mention that he has a cannon for an arm. he is also quite accurate which really impressed me considering the type of athletic quarterback that he is. the kid has only thrown 4 interceptions so far. i fault the receiver on a couple of those. the interception that sealed the win for penn state could just as easily have gone as a buckeye touchdown. he had to fit the ball into a small window and the defensive player made a good play on the ball. can't fault pryor there. if you like stats he has thrown for 12 touchdowns, has a passer rating of 152 and a completion percentage of 62.5. texas should worry about more than just his legs. don't discount him as a passer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back