2007 NBA Playoffs Thread
May 8, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #181 of 378
I was just about to post on the Pistons. They're quietly playing great basketball. I don't think you can hand the winner of the Suns/Spurs series the trophy because the Pistons have been playing very well since they picked up C-webb. Pistons are seasoned vets and look hungry!

While we're kinda on the subject of of the Bulls...

Ben Wallace, 33 years old, 15 mil per year:
.453 FG%, 6.4 PPG, 10.7 RPG, 2.0 BPG

Tyson Chandler, 25 years old, 10 mil per year:
.624 FG%, 9.5 PPG, 12.4 RPG, 1.8 BPG

Oops!

May 8, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #182 of 378
Awesome game 1 from the Jazz and Warriors. If you didn't enjoy that game, go read about headphones. Boozer is just a beast inside, they have no answer. Also, the Jazz won without Fisher, that doesn't bode well for the Wars. They won't be able to sag off Fisher like they did Dee Brown. Speaking of Dee Brown, he really played with heart tonight, gotta feel good for him. AK47 has rediscovered his omnipresent game. Jackson was his usual streaky self, he'll probably come back with a good game next time. Oh yeah, Deron Williams is pretty good. Can't wait for game 2!

May 8, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #183 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome game 1 from the Jazz and Warriors. If you didn't enjoy that game, go read about headphones. Boozer is just a beast inside, they have no answer. Also, the Jazz won without Fisher, that doesn't bode well for the Wars. They won't be able to sag off Fisher like they did Dee Brown. Speaking of Dee Brown, he really played with heart tonight, gotta feel good for him. AK47 has rediscovered his omnipresent game. Jackson was his usual streaky self, he'll probably come back with a good game next time. Oh yeah, Deron Williams is pretty good. Can't wait for game 2!

Good game. its going to be tough for the warriors, but at least tonight showed that they can hang with the jazz, even if their 3-point shooting dries up a little. Boozer is going to have a huge series, and he presents some major match-up complications, for which I don't think the warriors have an answer.

I don't think any of the lower level western conference teams have very good records in Utah. Jim Barnett was saying the Clippers (one of the other contenders for that 8th playoff spot) are 1-30 in Utah over the last 8-9 years
blink.gif
blink.gif
. I can see the Jazz having an easier time winning in oakland than the warriors in Utah.

it was neck and neck, it just came down to crunch time and who can execute the big plays.

May 8, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #184 of 378
Quote:

Ben Wallace, 33 years old, 15 mil per year:
.453 FG%, 6.4 PPG, 10.7 RPG, 2.0 BPG

Tyson Chandler, 25 years old, 10 mil per year:
.624 FG%, 9.5 PPG, 12.4 RPG, 1.8 BPG

Bill Simmons? Is that you?

I was dead wrong about Williams and the Jazz. The first game a series does not make though. It was a great game; a-lot of energy.

This round, I thought I would follow the Pistons/Bulls and Suns/Spurs. Looks like I'm going to have to switch to following two western series and wake up tired everyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Pistons are kicking the stuffing out of the Bulls to kick off game two.

The Bulls looked befuddled. All that confidence has been zapped by the Pistons. All I can think were the Heat really that bad?

-

Quote:

Originally Posted by borat
The MVP is a regular season award so I don't see why people are getting all crazy against Dirk possibly getting it by factoring in his playoff performances.

During the reg season, I and others thought Nash should be MVP. Dirk disappears too much and imo makes the Mavs go much less than Nash drives the Suns. For me, it should of been between Nash and Bryant. I never liked the best player on best team method.

May 8, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #185 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bulls looked befuddled. All that confidence has been zapped by the Pistons. All I can think were the Heat really that bad?

During the reg season, I and others thought Nash should be MVP. Dirk disappears too much and imo makes the Mavs go much less than Nash drives the Suns. For me, it should of been between Nash and Bryant. I never liked the best player on best team method.

There's a few reasons behind the Bulls struggles and looking so good in the first round. They played an over the hill and beat up Heat team. Wade's shoulder wasn't right. Shaq is in his twilight years. Antoine Walker basically should just retire now that he has a ring, he showed he has little drive by coming into the season overweight. Posey had this same problem as well, although he might have a bit more motivation it still shows a lack of commitment. Also, the Heat were so banged up all year their chemistry was all screwed, similar to how the Lakers flopped. It's not that the Bulls aren't good, they're a nice team, but they're young and still lack inside scoring. The Pistons are a smart team, they realize how the Bulls operate and know how to stop them.

About MVP, I always think for someone to be an MVP they need to really have an impact statistically. Like Kobe scoring, Nash racking up assists, KG and Duncan being vacuums on the boards. Basically you have to lead the league in something, or at least be close. Dirk was 10th in scoring (his primary statistic), which is good, but not great. Guys like Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, and Vince Carter were ahead of him. I haven't heard any of their names in the debate, why should Dirk be there? He's not a good defender, he's average, maybe below average. Best player on the best team is a contradictory statement. Who cares who your best player is, you're winning because your team is good, not because of 1 guy. I agree on your Nash and Kobe comment. I give it to Nash, and Kobe a close 2nd.

May 8, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #186 of 378
^ agreed. i don't get why dirk was the top contender to be the mvp, nevertheless even a serious candidate... sure, he's good and may be a team "leader," but not MVP status.

even though i like nash and thinks he deserves an mvp... i don't think winning it 3 times in a row is deserving... i think it should go to someone else. he DOES carry the team though... no doubt about it. the suns play like an average team without him on the court.

kobe? he sure as hell carries his team. but mvp? hmm, i WANT him to be mvp! but i dunno...

neeldess to say, MVPs only go to players on winning teams... so count out players like garnett, iverson (b4), etc

May 9, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #187 of 378
Suns 101 Spurs 81

WOOOOO EEEEEEE! This is gonna be a great series.

May 9, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #188 of 378
Yep...it will be a great series definitely.

May 9, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #189 of 378
Kudos to Coach D for loosening his usually stubborn philosophy and inserting Thomas into the starting 5. KT knows all of Duncan's cheap foul drawing tricks and can avoid them most of the time. Diaw was playing much better as well. Something that makes no sense to me about Diaw this year is his reluctance to shoot the wide open 15-footer but he jacks up baseline 3's with no hesitation. He didn't do that tonight and was very effective. Also, it's almost time to put Manu on the side of a milk carton. I find it ironic/strange that the Suns won the lower scoring game and the Spurs won the higher scoring game. It'll be interesting to see what adjustments are made by Pop. Bring on game 3!

May 9, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #190 of 378
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even though i like nash and thinks he deserves an mvp... i don't think winning it 3 times in a row is deserving... i think it should go to someone else. he DOES carry the team though... no doubt about it. the suns play like an average team without him on the court.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone else besides Nash get the MVP award (as long as they're equally as deserving).

I don't think Nash carries the team. The team is definately defined through Nash's leadership, however. Kobe really does carry the Lakers, sometimes.

May 9, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #191 of 378
^kobe carries the lakers like a backpack... at times it's only a couple pounds, but sometimes it weighs 32587235982 pounds. he can still carry it somewhat though =D too bad he can't share some of it with an old buddy named shaq. (o well, he's getting old anyways)

May 9, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #192 of 378
Quote:

Kudos to Coach D for loosening his usually stubborn philosophy and inserting Thomas into the starting 5. KT knows all of Duncan's cheap foul drawing tricks and can avoid them most of the time. Diaw was playing much better as well. Something that makes no sense to me about Diaw this year is his reluctance to shoot the wide open 15-footer but he jacks up baseline 3's with no hesitation. He didn't do that tonight and was very effective. Also, it's almost time to put Manu on the side of a milk carton. I find it ironic/strange that the Suns won the lower scoring game and the Spurs won the higher scoring game. It'll be interesting to see what adjustments are made by Pop. Bring on game 3!

C'mon....give the Spurs some respects, they are a championship team. Duncan is a great player and everyone knows it, same can be said with Manu. Steve Nash also flops all the time....its just part of the game. Although, I'm a big fan of Spurs, but I can't help but admire the way the Suns play. They are an offensive master. You guys should be worried though as Steve Nash is near 34 and he will be slowing down very soon. He is a true MVP of this league but the Suns's offense will suffer a lot once he gets older.

May 9, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #193 of 378
I do respect Duncan, his technique in drawing fouls is awesome. You reach for the ball and he makes you pay. Same way Cassell stops in front of people on the break so they run him over. I think it's funny and smart, just drives you crazy if you're playing against him. Although there was one play when Amare was guarding him down low and Duncan turned and elbowed Amare in the face while shooting and Amare got the foul, that one was pretty bad, but I fault the refs there. Nash doesn't flop much, he usually gets blasted on charges, Bell does most of the flopping. No one flops like Manu though, he's the new Divac.

May 9, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #194 of 378
The Spurs and Suns game two - the story of how Kurt took the elbows (I too think Duncan is great player purk), Armare got his groove back, and Shawn decided to give a damn.

What can I add that Steve Kerr didn't? The guy does color like he shot three pointers - nothing but nylon baby.

My one complaint is the Phoenix fans. Usually I enjoy checking out the "scenery" in crowd during the games. Last night they all looked like Mike Tyson ex'es. Hopefully that trend will reverse next time.

May 9, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #195 of 378
Quote:

I do respect Duncan, his technique in drawing fouls is awesome.

Funny why the ref buys it every single time. Anyway, let's enjoy a great series. I do hope we have a game seven. BTW, Piston looks superb though. They might be the team to beat this finals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back