Grado SR60: USD69

Class D
No entries

Class K
Sony MDR-7506

I wonder why no others good quality cans make it to the list
confused.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 39
Stereophile only includes products on the list that they have actually reviewed. It's rare for them to review headphone related products; so, not many of the very excellent products you read about on this website are ever auditioned by Stereophile, much less make it to their "Recommended" list. Their list is pretty worthless when it comes to headphone products.

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 39
Of course worthless when compared to a web site like Head-fi or headwize.

But for hifi audiophiles or new comers of the hp world, I feel that the list maybe a reasonable reference, right?

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 39
Also helps when the company pays for an advertisement... i never trust what magazines say, i read the unsilicited reviews like on eopinions.com and forums like this. but then sometimes on sites like eopinions.com you get people who don't know what they are talking about.

bottom line, i try to listen to anything i am looking at buying before i buy it. not always possible though
frown.gif

they are good for learning about new products though.

Jun 24, 2002 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 39
Class K for Sony MDR-7506/V6. How bad is that?? Just wondering...

By the way, in 1991...Stereophile magazine rated the V6 as at the top of class D. I have that issue.

Jun 24, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 39
Well then I think it's a little overtime that Stereophile put the Sony R10s into Class K followed by Class A a bit later!

Jun 24, 2002 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 39
I've found generally that Stereophile reviews are off the wall. Most of the stuff they rave about isn't worth the materials used to build it. By the same token, they rated HD580 phones as Class B and HD 600 as class A. I sampled both and I couldn't hear a difference. I have very good ears, so I am pretty comfortable with saying there was no difference. I also heard Triangle speakers that they raved about and for the life of me, I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 39
What didn't you like about the Triangle Titus? I actually own them myself and think they're phenomenal for the price. I don't think they deserve to be in Class B given their price but if they sound like Class B to people who've heard far more expensive gear then I have, then I ain't complaining. They certainly sound excellent to my ears.

And when you said you hear no difference between the HD600 and HD580, do you really mean no difference or just a smidgeon? Because you're definitely in the small minority here if you say you can't hear a difference at all.

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:29 AM Post #12 of 39
Huh? The Grado RS-1 used to be on the Class A recommended list - but this time around, it's MIA, probably because either Stereophile hasn't reviewed that model recently enough for the recommendation to be valid OR Grado may have changed something on that model a bit since the review of the RS-1 had been published. (Like, for example, Stereophile had reviewed the RS-1 with the old flat pads, but Grado had changed to the new bowl pads - and Stereophile hasn't reviewed the RS-1 with the newer pads yet.)

Jun 24, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
anyone? what time of the month do they usually come?

Late month.. Next is due July 23

Recommended components list is april issue.

Jun 24, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 39
I'm pretty sure that there is a different b/w the 580 and 600. However, the differences are on a very highend setup isn't it? Please, verify my statement. I don't think you can hear much or any different for $500 and below headphone amp.

I'm pretty sure that the reviewer have different view. One may put the 580 in the same class as the 600 and another may not. In comparing things, we need to keep our variable straight(same source, same equiptment, same listening env., and same pair of ears). In this case, says...the same guy who review the 580 or cast the opinion as a whole rather than one person's.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back