$2000 Closed Back Headphone
Apr 12, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #16 of 32
There are currently 4 big players in the closed back section.

These are TH900, AH-D9200, Focal Stellia and Verite Closed. The HD820 doesn't belong to them.

Then there are some secret tips but i won't state those as you won't go for them anyway because they don't cost as much.
I’m interested. What are these secret tips?

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 32
Sony MDR-Z1R ?
Really nice headphones but I don't think they're a good match for what the OP is looking for - very different sound signature from Etymotic.

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #18 of 32
MDR-Z1R from sony

confy and sparkly highs with tons of detail.

bear in mind that they require burn-in

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #20 of 32
All of the recommendations posted before are great, but do give the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire's a shot too.

They're super portable, lightweight, isolating and subjectivly speaking, sound so good with the new pads. I've paired these with many amps/dacs and they sound equally good with the iBasso DX300 and Cayin N6ii (A01). :)

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #21 of 32
All of the recommendations posted before are great, but do give the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Noire's a shot too.

They're super portable, lightweight, isolating and subjectivly speaking, sound so good with the new pads. I've paired these with many amps/dacs and they sound equally good with the iBasso DX300 and Cayin N6ii (A01). :)
Yep I did eyed those too. I like the design. And since you are already using Cayin N6ii and having good impression on it, now I am even more intrigued :)

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #22 of 32
In two weeks time I will be spending around $2000 on one closed back headphone. My shortlist so far points to Sennheiser HD820.

But before pulling the trigger, I would like to hear suggestions based on the following criteria which is crucial for me:
- Sparkly resolving sonic characteristics with micro details (similar to Etymotic ER4S)
- Comfortable and isolate well

Thanks!
I'd agree with ZMF VC and Fostex TH900. However, if mirco details and resolve are paramount to you with an airy sparkle, then you may want to check out the overlooked and underrated Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT. I've demod or owned most of the high-end closed-backs, and nothing beats the AWKT in terms of sheer resolve, clarity, and technical excellence. They also fit right in your budget.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #23 of 32
I'd agree with ZMF VC and Fostex TH900. However, if mirco details and resolve are paramount to you with an airy sparkle, then you may want to check out the overlooked and underrated Audio-Technica ATH-AWKT. I've demod or owned most of the high-end closed-backs, and nothing beats the AWKT in terms of sheer resolve, clarity, and technical excellence. They also fit right in your budget.
Thanks for this insight. All these feedbacks helping me to get better clarity of how to spend my money wisely

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 32
The one brand that is not mentioned here is Kennerton. Check out the Magni and Gjallarhorn and Gjallarhorn JM.

Personally I can tell you that there is nothing quite like the Gjallarhorn. Do your research on it.

The upcoming Rognir will likely best any of the recommendations given on this thread but it is $3500.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #26 of 32
ZMF VC gets my vote, don't discount the Atticus either!

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #27 of 32
@OspreyAndy what did you end up getting? I am in the same boat now.
Did you get a chance to listen to multiple headphones before buying?

Jun 27, 2022 at 12:24 AM Post #29 of 32
Spend more and get a DCA Stealth.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 32

I see that you have a Liric I realy like the A2 Noire, but how would you compare it to the Liric? I ordered the Liric but sent it back before opening the box.I decided to save for another headphone. I am still intrigued by Meze's driver technology (planar/ dynamic). People say DCA is not good for "punch and slam," but I'm not sure how important that is to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back