$2000 budget need advice
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Musicmedic

Caution: Incomplete Trades
So I have a ton of headphones, probably around 20 total. As im sitting here looking at them all I realize I don't have what I would consider my endgame headphone, if that even exists.

I currently have a budget of $2000 and I would like to buy one setup that is the be all end ask for me. I have enough amps that I could spend it all on just the headphone and find an amp I own to power it or I can split my budget, let's say $1500 on a headphone and $500 on an amp.

Of If had $2000 to spend and only one headphone to buy that you would listen to for the next few years, which one would it be? It can be used or brand new, used would open up a lot more options tho.

I was really considering a lcd4 or even Sony z1r. Im just not sure which one I should get, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 9
What amps do you currently own? How about a DAC?
What headphones that you own are your favorites and what about them do you like?
What type of music do you mostly listen to?
These headphones are to be used at home or for travel?

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 9
What amps do you currently own? How about a DAC?
What headphones that you own are your favorites and what about them do you like?
What type of music do you mostly listen to?
These headphones are to be used at home or for travel?
Well my current amps are liquid carbon, Beyer a20, audeze deckard, ws6, darkvoice 336se, and burson soloist.

Current favorite headphones are my DT1990, LCD2 and occasionally Klipsch HP3. I enjoy the HP3 for movies and music, the DT1990 for mostly games and music and the LCD2 for primarily music.

I really like a full low end, I'm not a basshead so I don't want them to have exaggerated bass. Well rounded with a deep bass is what I prefer.

I listen to mostly rock, house, club, a little rap, jazz and classical. But i could really listen to any genre depending on my mood.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 9
I would suggest a basic Glenn OTL and a ZMF Auteur,which would bring you in at a bit over your 2k target.

The Glenn OTL really transforms headphones into an almost entirely new sounding experience and is a great match to the Auteur.

Im sure you will get other suggestions that are probably better known,but this is the road I would take.

If your budget allows for no wiggle room,then I would suggest an upgraded Glenn OTL and try to snag a pair of Sennheiser HD250s,which is also a grossly unknown headphone that sounds phenomenal with the Glenn and is a great all arounder headphone.

I recently did a review of the HD250s on my Youtube channel (link in signature)

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 9
I listen primarily at my pc and typically use my soundcard as the dac. It's a soundblaster zxr. I also hadn't a Odac and the deckard is an amp/dac. I could use the deckards dac section and a different amp if the other two dacs don't suffice but I don't believe a dac makes a big difference the more you spend on it. I don't believe I would notice a difference between the Odac and a $2000 dac so id rather just leave the side of the chain out of the equation completely because im happy with what I have there.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Aug 27, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back