~$200 soundcard options or opamp-roll?
Dec 25, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, having read up that in this price range, a soundcard would be a better option than an external DAC (correct me if I'm wrong), I'm thinking of replacing my current Auzen X-fi Prelude with a better source.

I need the gaming aspect but after a bit of experimentation, I think a bit of Dolby Headphone and crossfeed from my H5 would do the job (again correct me if you have a differing opinion).
If I do upgrade an amp later on, I can easily buy a cheap X-fi to counter the lack of crossfeed from the amp.

I'm thinking of the HT Omega Claro (sonic differences between the Claro and the Claro Plus?) but any other soundcards that are Dolby-Headphone capable can also be suggested
smily_headphones1.gif

Another option of course is opamp-rolling the front opamp of the Prelude?
Would that be the best option?

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Auzentech offers many opamps that are built and tested for use in the PRelude and other cards.
Here is the info here: LINK

There are many other opamps from other sources which you can use in this card. Opamp replacment is a very common upgrade and many around here will have great advice for you on which opamps you might like..

Dec 25, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Yeah but you and I know that a soundcard is more than just opamps. The DAC is also very important so what would you suggest..a new soundcard like the HT Omega Claro or opamp-roll?
This is all about SQ and nothing else.
Anyway, pretty off buying the parts separately than having Auzen charge exorbitant prices for them.

Dec 25, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 9
You asked about opamp rolling and of course a soundcard is more then just the opamps.
The Prelude has better quality then the HT Omega Claro, Those are older generation aroud the same time as the X-Meridian.
Perhaps your refering to the new Claro Halo?

Actually, I think after comparison, the Auzen price tags for their opamps aren't all that bad. Espcially with some of the single channel -Dual chipped units.
You have to pay for the opamps, and adapters and shipping. You have to do the soldering -Correctly which is not that easy especially on the dual opamp modules. They also test them before hand. If you think you can do it cheaper, go ahead. Given all that is involved it seems cheaper and easier to just order them. I build my own modules but I have alos been soldering and doing electrnoics for many years.

If this is all about sound quality, then why would you be asking about older card such as the Claro? Not that all older cards are bad but if you going with a older model there are better models then that one. Perhaps, look at some of the newer cards, If the Prelude isn't your flavor, look at the Xonar line-up. Such as the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe or the Xonar Essence STX. Been testing the STX for a few weeks now and it is a great card. Noth the HDAV and the STX offer replacable opamps so of your stillinto opamps replacment both cards can be improved or you can use your favorite opamps to get a sonic signature you like.

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Soundcards are more then just the DAC's. There are different cards from HT Omega also. Are you talking about buying a older Claro or a new Claro Halo? I would wait for a bit and see what comes down the pipe form other companies..

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 9
IIRC, right off the top of my head the Prelude and the Claro use very similar DAC's. That is not to say they will have identical sound quality though as they do not.

As was suggested if your not happy with the Prelude perhaps a Xonar may be more your flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back