$200 Protable? HDJ-2000, HD25-1-ii ultrasone? idk?
Jun 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ScaryFatKidGT

500+ Head-Fier
So I got $200 bucks to spend and I want a portable, right now all I have are D5000's (Amazing, but huge and don't block noise) and Klipsch Image one (treble ok, mids ****, bass loud but one noted, not very detailed, good for rock but you miss a lot of the details).

I almost pulled the trigger on some Grado SR225's, I was actually surprised at the detail and the amount of bass (maybe just because I wasn't expecting hardly any bass?), and they were not harsh at all but there way open, not really a good portable.

Folcal Spirit ones are plastic junk from what I could tell, ok sounding I guess

I really like the looks and comfort of the Prioneer HDJ-2000's at best buy and they with match amazon at $210 on them but they just don't seem to have much bass impact, I wasn't using my E17 amp when I auditioned them (listened a couple times) idk if an amp would help but for closed "DJ" headphones they were detailed enough but I just missed the bass, my D5000's easily have more bass.

The ones I don't know about and litteraly nobody in the state carries are the HD25 1-ii's and DT1350's, I have seen comparisons but usually the DT1350 is "better" but the senn wins for some reason, but now the Amperiors are only $216 so wouldn't those be the ones to get? Only thing with these are the bass, I don't know if it will be enough for me?

M80's seem like another obviouse option, not as detailed but will they have more bass than every thing above without sounding bad? I know a lot of people like these. Damn local radio shack's are broke so I can't audition.

Last think I can think of would be ultrasone HFi-580 or 780's? or maybe something from there pro line? There a little bigger can's though are they not? More like the Pioneers?

I have thought about buying another Sony MP3 player now that they have LOD's for them, I miss the bass boost of my old one but they only go up to 16 or 32gb, not enough for me, I have a 64gb iPod touch right now with an Fiio E17. I listen to a lot of metal/heavy music and like the punch/impact from the bass drum like at a live show.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 5
I've read some more revews and every thing calls the Pioneers bass heavy, maybe the one's I'm listening to are broke? I've listened at 2 different stores.

I'd also like to include the M100's and Momentums but I'm afraid they are a little to much money, I'd only considder them if they were the prefect option to get.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 5
If you liked the Grados, and want some bass I think you'll love the Amperiors. Consider them closed Grados but plenty of bass impact, mids and highs. The 1350s, despite having great detail and separation especially down low, the bass might be a bit light for you.

The HDJ2000s are fun as well but more warm and slightly rolled off at the top.  I would say it has a smiley-shaped sound sig. The Amperiors are definitely more sparkly up top than the HDJs, which might be good or bad depending on your preferences.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 5
Definitely more impact. The Amperior will definitely be more suitable for you genres. I listen to a lot of rock and I even have a pair of HD25s (that I acquired for the 3rd time lol) just because the HD25 or Amperior are great for those genres.

Another good headphone to look at are the Audio Technica ATH-ES700s. Very lively sound great bass, mids and highs are smooth while still having sparkle. Bigger-sounding overall than the HD25s or Amperiors. However, I feel the Amperiors do a better job with natural timbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back