$200-ish banked for amp, help me spend it...
Jan 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

greenzee

100+ Head-Fier
You know how it goes, you budget $xxx.xx, and you end up spending $zzz.zz+++, but I've got a couple hundred sitting in PayPal earmarked for an amp, if a decent upgrade to my GoVibe 6 can be had for that price.

Looking for recommendations. I've got my eyes on a Practical Devices XM5, as it looks to be extremely full-featured, however I'm closer to $300 than $200 with a decent spec.

I'm a big IEM guy, and I love my IM716's. ER4P's are en route. Plenty of arguments that IEM's don't need amping, but I much prefer my 716's amped. I'm sure I'll invest in full-size cans at some point, but likely not soon.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Jan 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 8
I have been reading amps threads lately and if you want to stay portable, well a suggestion is Little Dot MK I

and if you want to try something else,like local, go tubes with the Little Dot MK II amp.

I did not heard them yet but they sure are starting to be the FOTM since december 2007.

Do a little search on them.

regards,

Jan 24, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Ibasso P2 for 140 or the D2 for 199.. You'll have to wait a couple weeks for those two. The UHA3 can be had for 190ish.. Plenty of Amps, AMP/DACs in that price range.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 8
I went from a GoVibe V6 to a Little Dot MK II tube amp (just arrived about 30 minutes ago :p)

Lookout for my unboxing/review/comparison...

Jan 25, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenzee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know how it goes, you budget $xxx.xx, and you end up spending $zzz.zz+++, but I've got a couple hundred sitting in PayPal earmarked for an amp, if a decent upgrade to my GoVibe 6 can be had for that price.

Looking for recommendations. I've got my eyes on a Practical Devices XM5, as it looks to be extremely full-featured, however I'm closer to $300 than $200 with a decent spec.

I'm a big IEM guy, and I love my IM716's. ER4P's are en route. Plenty of arguments that IEM's don't need amping, but I much prefer my 716's amped. I'm sure I'll invest in full-size cans at some point, but likely not soon.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Are you looking for portal or desktop amp?

If desktop, Get the Corda Headfive/Arietta from me, for $180 shipped. Extremely good entry level amp with amazing warmth and crossfeed feature. Retails for $255+ shipping. It's better than all the mentioned "portal amp," and the size is just right. Read some reviews on the Corda Headfive and you'll know I'm not sheerly promoting what im selling. Good luck!

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Hands down, in the sub $200 category (that's readily available without wait) is the Go Vibe Petite....you get a DAC as a bonus, but the amp section is MIGHTY MIGHTY strong....

My batteries died on me this morning. 850mah rechargeables got me 5 days of continuous running time at 1/3 volume in high gain (much more than really needed for IEMs). It was only rated at ~75 hours for rechargeables....so that 100+hour mark for Alkalines, is likely to be around a week of CONTINUOUS running.

Pretty gnarly if you ask me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back