200$ Headphone Recommendation Topic
Jan 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SadlyFamiliarTopic

New Head-Fier
So man, I didn't want to be annoying, looked through some of your topics on this and all, but I'm blowing 200 and I'm comically poor, so I'm making my own.

Anyway, I've got this Focusrite Saffire I use to make my depressingly mediocre home recordings that I figure I'll use as a headphone amp. I'd be using this pair of headphones for my listening pleasure, but also for monitoring and mixing.

I guess right now I'm asking for a miracle headphone, so I mean, I understand I'm going to have to compromise a pretty decent amount, I mean, I just don't see myself buying monitors in the near future. Whatever.

Anyway, as far as the listening pleasure category goes, I'm a bit of an indiefag, so like, I'm listening to **** like Bright Eyes, Arcade Fire, Death CAb, you know, that kind of acousticy/epic/poppy kind of stuff.

This is kind of a rambling post, sorry, I'm just a disjointed kind of guy. So to kind of get to the point

I'd like a recommendation for a 200 headphone that could maximize my indie-listening pleasure, a second recommendation for a 200 headphone that could be a bit more all-purpose, and a headphone closer to 100 to maximize my listening pleasure in the unlikely instance that I split my budget and purchase monitors.

I hope that made sense to you guys, if you have any questions about what I just said, you know, just ask

Thanks a million

Jan 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 11
Two headphones I would suggest are the:
Shure SRH840
Denon D2000

Now, the Denon D2000 is suppose to require a headphone amp. I am not sure how good the amp in the Focusrite Saffire is... but a $300 recording device with a decent headphone amp would sure a good buy.
The SRH840's also improve from an amp.

in the $100 price range you might consider:
Denon D1001's
Audio-Technica AD700's <- real nice for acousticy stuff.
Sony MDR-V6
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions man, I'll definitely look into all of those. I'm probably not going to leap for the headphone amp until I see exactly how it works with the saffire; I've heard it's at least mediocre, heh. Definitely appreciate the suggestions though, D2000 seems pretty tasty, I'll have to ask around on whether or not my sort-of-but-not-quite amplifier will do the trick.

Any opinions on the "classic" 200$ recommendations, like the Beyer dt770 and whatever closed headphone the sennheiser fanboys recommend for this price range? And the grados. 225s. But the grados are open? That wouldn't be very good for monitoring I guess.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two headphones I would suggest are the:
Shure SRH840
Denon D2000

x2 for Denon D2000.

Jan 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Cool man, so it seems like the Denons or the Ms-1s then. Alright.

And yeah man, I'm fine, I'm just kind of a miserable guy, but it's cool, my self-indulgent music is going to sound way better than on my laptop speakers pretty soon here.

thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your help/knowledge/sharing it with me/ect

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #9 of 11
I did my research and recently bought a pair of D2000s, however I listen to mostly electronic music, and while I hear they are good very mostly every genre, in order to get 100% out of them you need to do a few mods and get an amp for them. I don't have them yet, but they are being shipped to me right now so I can't give any solid opinions of them.

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 11
To confuse things a bit look at the Audio Technica m50, imo better and cheaper than the denon's. And my favorite in this range, the akg 271mk2's

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back