200 $ for ear-impressions !?
Jun 5, 2005 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tayano

100+ Head-Fier
I spoke to an audiologist today (living in sweden) and she said that she took
~200 dollars for ear impressions,she must have been missunderstanding me, I'm not going to pay twice as what the custom molds for my um2 cost. I know that sweden is expensive country but 200 $ makes my speechless. Is there any other cheaper option for making impressions ?

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 12
If you're handy, and with a bit of practice, you can actually take impressions that are as good as or better than an audiologist.
I would never have attempted this, but one of my best friends is an audiologist. I had her take impressions for me for my Ety mods. She had stacks of the impression medium and materials lying around, so I had a chance to try it out.
You may think it's unadvisable to do this, and I would agree, to an extent. By nature I am a very cautious person; I’m ten-parts planning to every one-part action. But I’m confident in my dexterity and fine-motor skills, and would not take a risk with something so important to me (my ears and my wallet!) without first making a full assessment and consulting an expert.
I have now been researching this for well over a year, and have been repeatedly surprised by what I’ve found.
First, many audiologists are very casual about the ear-mold procedure. The material used for impressions is very forgiving- it has a long curing time and is stable even if poorly mixed. The problems that arise are due to other issues. The ear canal is very flexible and changes size and shape when you chew and speak, and even when you lose and gain weight. Hearing professionals recommend that impressions be taken as often as every two years for hearing-aide users in order to ensure a good fit and therefore seal required for optimum performance.
For me, as soon as the material was expressed into my canals, the sound attenuation was so profound that I felt compelled to talk to try to listen to how much I couldn’t hear (?!?). If you talk with the material in your ears, it's going to have a negative affect on the “quality of fit.” Also, when your mouth and face are at rest, your jaw is in a different position than when “at attention.” Your tongue actually rests on the top of your mouth when relaxed. The tiniest bit of activity will result in a change of jaw positioning. The important lesson from this is to be conscious of about how much or how little your jaw is open when relaxed, hopefully like you’ll be when listening to music. When you go to have impressions taken, leave your mouth open just about 1cm more than it opens when at rest. To be certain you don’t move, it’s best to find something to bite down on that will keep your jaw stable for the entire time it takes the material to set. An “open-mouth” impression is inadvisable, as the canal is not only considerably larger in this situation, but it’s a completely different shape. The resulting IEM will be very uncomfortable, even after being shaped.
Good impressions are not hard to take and will fit exactly if taken properly. The skin of the ear canal is flexible. There is quite a bit of room for error when taking impressions. To improve the chances even more, get custom molds made out of a hard material that has an outer layer composed of a different, softer, material, like silicone. This has a better chance of providing a comfortable fit and tight seal as it can provide flexibility in addition to the flexibility of the canal itself. Also, read up on curing times and environmental variables associated with faster/slower setting rates. Temperature and humidity can have a big affect the time it takes for the impression to become stable. Audiologists can be eager to complete the impressions procedure and want to “stick a fork in it” to see if it’s done. The way they often check is by pushing on the material or by pulling the ear lightly toward the back of the head to see if the ear separates from the impressions. Either of these procedures will reduce the likelihood of a proper fit.

Jun 5, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 12
There are a few places on the web that sell custom mold kits... they send you a kit, you make your own impressions and send them on back and in a week or so you get your custom molds... I did that for my E2s and it worked out great... I believe the site was earplugsuperstore or something like that... too lazy to look right now.. they cost like $115 all said and done.

Edit:

here are some links

Professionally fitted
Sensaphonics

DIY
The Ear Plug Store

Jun 5, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 12
If you're going to take your own impressions, make sure you have a company who you'd like to make the molds already lined up. The impressions should be mailed immediately so they don't alter in any way.
Westone made my molds for $60. DIY kits can cost as little as $12, definitely cheaper and, in my experience, more likely to be a good fit if you do your homework.

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
I spoke to an audiologist today (living in sweden) and she said that she took
~200 dollars for ear impressions,she must have been missunderstanding me, I'm not going to pay twice as what the custom molds for my um2 cost. I know that sweden is expensive country but 200 $ makes my speechless. Is there any other cheaper option for making impressions ?

Why would she give you a quote in dollars and not in SEK? You're in Sweden, that makes no sense. Are you sure you didn't somehow misunderstand each other?

200 SEK is roughly $26.00.

If were plan on ever hopping a cruise to Helsinki, check out www.ml-suojainpalvelut.fi - Mikko is excellent and costs €30.00. The office is located off of Aleksanterinkatu, the main shopping street in central Helsinki.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 12
She may have misunderstood you. I called around for a price for impressions also and I got a lot of $150-225 responses. Then one understood that I only wanted the silicone impressions and he chuckled and said free. Everyone else thought that I wanted impressions made and molds made also. So be sure to tell them that you just need the silicone impressions. Tell them you don't need molds made.

Jun 6, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #9 of 12
Try another audiologist. I was quoted about $200 for impressions from an audiologist in Manhattan, NY that Sensaphonics had referred me to. I did some more calling around and discovered that impression fees vary widely depending on the area and the audiologist. Eventually I was able to find a couple of audiologists who charged around $50 and thanks to a fellow Head-Fi'er, I eventually settled on a great audiologist in Long Island (just a 20 minute train ride away) who did my molds for free.

Keep in mind that you don't have to go to an audiologist that UE or Sensaphonics refers you to. As someone already mentioned, you can even take the molds yourself, although I personally would advise against it. Any competent audiologist should be able to do it.

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 12
So whatda do to get the molds....you go to the audiologist and tell em you need molds made for ur headphones (shure e4c) and that’s it? Do they put the headphones in the mold, do you send em off....I’m just kinda new to it. If anyone wants to step me thought it...what to ask for, where do you send it....ect

Jun 6, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #11 of 12
My impressions were free
... I was speechless when the lady doctor person told me they'd be free when I asked about credit card information

I think she had hots for me
etysmile.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 12
the hospial in my city makes impressions and since I'm under 18 I don't have to pay for anything but I think that I have to wait for a long time before I can have them done. the waiting-time is huge on the public hospitals. I'll call them and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back