$200 Earphones, Mainly For Rock
Nov 6, 2006 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Radagast

Head-Fier
Heya,

I recently posted a similar thread, yet I decided to create a new and more refined thread to get more accurate answers.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am now using the 280s for both music (5hours a day), gaming (4hours a day), and movies (1 hour a day).
I find them very good for both gaming and movies, yet they sure do lack in the music department.

I am searching for earphones to fill-in the missing music gap. I mainly listen to Rock and its sub-genres, such as Pink Floyd, David Bowie, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, and to Metal such as Metallica.
Because the 280s are quite enough for gaming and movies, I'm mainly intrested in earphones which can cope with music, and not gaming and movies.
In other words - i'm not searching for all-rounders (even though it would be nice to have).

P.S: I'm not a Grado fan (please don't kill me).
eek.gif

P.SS: I find the 280s very comfy and so...hmm...
blink.gif

P.SSS: I usualy listen to 320kbps\FLAC.
P.SSSS: Yes, I'm planning on buying an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 8
wow, you listen to headphones ten hours a day? Forget $200, if I were you I would shoot for $2000. Even if I worked for minimum wage. But at least you're moving in the right direction.

Are you really limiting yourself to earphones (as in earbuds and IEMs), or did you mean headphones in general? The answers will be totally different.

edit, but I see you mention not liking Grado, which means that the earphone thing was just a slip. The question is, why are you not a Grado fan? Something about the sound, or just the comfort?

Generally, I'd say go for old-school Beyer DT990 (though not the pro, too tight) or DT880. Not the DT770 due to the bass, not the HD595 because I think there's a lot better in the price bracket. You could wait it out for a used pair of Koss A250, which will save you money and still beat all these other options.

Nov 6, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 8
I vote Sennheiser HD595 or Beyer DT880 or 770. Beyers may be too bright if you don't like Grado. 595s are great for movies and games/ good all rounders for rock.

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 8
If I only had $2000, facelvega, then life would be much easier.
evil_smiley.gif

I didn't know there was an actual diffrence between earphones and headphones, but I ment headphones in general.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regarding the Grados, while listening to the RS-1, and the RS-2 I felt that they were very aggresive and bright (thats the correct term? :p), the GS-1000 felt more calm and easy to listen to, but compared to the DT880 there were still aggresive.

Well, I did listen to the DT880 and I did enjoy them! But, I was wondering, if their might be a headphone, which might be even better
smily_headphones1.gif

Dave, I think your the biggest 595 fan out there
smily_headphones1.gif
, yet I haven't listened to the 595, so buying them is a bit risky, as they do have negative 'reviews' as well.

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 8
If the Beyers weren't too bright for you, then they may be the best cans for you. Brightness seems to be the usual complaint people have about them.

And yes, I'm a very vocal Sennheiser person on this site!!!!! My normal response is either the 595 or 580!! IMHO, I do think the 595 is a good neutral headphone.....it's in between the brightness of the Grados, Beyers/ but more forward then the recessed Senns and AKGs. I think that's the main reason why some on this site say negative things about it...it brings out the character of your source. The best thing about it is it doesn't take much to get them to sound good (unlike so many other audiophile headphones). I'm finding that the more I work on my setup, the more I like them for classical. Actually my 580s are getting really sweet for rock (getting brightness with amazing bass that's great for punk or alternative).

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 8
I would recommend the Beyer dt990's, I've not had any problem with them being overly bright, and I don't think that would be an issue if you amp them right.

The 990's are such that they best most of the lower and mid range Grados in comfort and sound quality.

- augustwest

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Radagast
Well, I did listen to the DT880 and I did enjoy them!

Did you get a chance to try the DT990 as well? I imagine that they might suit you a little better than the 880. Have you thought of the Goldring DR150? These might also suit you inside your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back