200 dollar headphone amp
Aug 3, 2012 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

EndersShadow

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a 200 dollar or less headphone amp.  I am curious whats out there tube wise, as well as SS for use with either a set of DT-770's or HFI-780's neither of which should be hard to drive. 

My source will be my iPhone either via a LOD to 3.5mm plug or a LOD to RCA one.  I dont need the ability to connect thsi to anything via USB as this will be strictly for work.

I will have it on my desk and dont need something "super" portable that fits in my pocket.  This will sit on my desk at work and be moved very infrequently and even then only to my home setup.

I am totally willing to look used. 

I am looking for a nice piece if possible.

Would love to hear input from folks with the Schiit Asgard, Little Dot's, or HiFiMan's units as well as folks with other SS amps.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 13
Used Asgard. On Ebay for under $200.

Quote:
I am looking for a 200 dollar or less headphone amp.  I am curious whats out there tube wise, as well as SS for use with either a set of DT-770's or HFI-780's neither of which should be hard to drive. 

My source will be my iPhone either via a LOD to 3.5mm plug or a LOD to RCA one.  I dont need the ability to connect thsi to anything via USB as this will be strictly for work.

I will have it on my desk and dont need something "super" portable that fits in my pocket.  This will sit on my desk at work and be moved very infrequently and even then only to my home setup.

I am totally willing to look used. 

I am looking for a nice piece if possible.

Would love to hear input from folks with the Schiit Asgard, Little Dot's, or HiFiMan's units as well as folks with other SS amps.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Used Asgard. On Ebay for under $200.

There is one in the classfieds here as well for a similar price.

I am still on the fence overall about a headphone amp (as opposed to a stereo reciever) as I like the idea of tone controls (I realize for a purist this will make them cringe) but I am ok with messing with the EQ so it sounds like I like.  Obviously this is something I can get from a vintage reciever in this same price range (right now I am using a Yamaha R-300 but it needs some de-oxit and I know I can do better).

Is there any particular reason to not go that route beyond the simple size and age concerns?

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Will keep it short, had one, sold it, not interested in another :).

Was a bad match? 

Try the M stage, probably few dollars more than your budget. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Vintage receivers are very good for the price. I would recommend them if you have the space, especially since you have the option to add in speakers later.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

There is one in the classfieds here as well for a similar price.

I am still on the fence overall about a headphone amp (as opposed to a stereo reciever) as I like the idea of tone controls (I realize for a purist this will make them cringe) but I am ok with messing with the EQ so it sounds like I like.  Obviously this is something I can get from a vintage reciever in this same price range (right now I am using a Yamaha R-300 but it needs some de-oxit and I know I can do better).

Is there any particular reason to not go that route beyond the simple size and age concerns?

I would think one of the down falls would be impedance, as an old receiver may not work well with a 300~600 ohm load.

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Was a bad match? 

Try the M stage, probably few dollars more than your budget. 

Not really a bad match, just not for me.

Quote:
Vintage receivers are very good for the price. I would recommend them if you have the space, especially since you have the option to add in speakers later.

Yeah thats kinda what I keep coming back to.  There is a local guy I am seeing on Sunday that has a bunch of old vintage recievers and I might come home with one of those.  I was hoping he would still have his Kenwood KA-7150 but its apparently sold pending funds.... If its there I might just snatch it.

That or looking online I found the reciever I really want (since it looks awesome and has pre-outs to boot) the Onkyo A-7022 and its almost in budget withstanding shipping.  There is also a Harmon Kardon Citation 17 Pre-Amp which would pair nicely with my existing Carver M1.0t at a later date.

I think I will probably go with a vintage reciever since for now it will work at work for headphones (and a awesome monitor stand lol) and then later on (years down the road) I can use it in the dedicated 2 channel system I want to build.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 13
I recommend getting a soldering iron and getting into building a good kit or project. You'll realize that it's not just tubes that make the magic happen but other factors as well. Plus it's fun!

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
I recommend getting a soldering iron and getting into building a good kit or project. You'll realize that it's not just tubes that make the magic happen but other factors as well. Plus it's fun!

I ended up going over budget and finding a NFB-5 for a decent price.  This solves the USB DAC part as well as the headphone amp.  I am pretty stoked!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back