~$200 Cans for Games & General use. Must have good Sound Stage.
Jan 31, 2014 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

discoking989

New Head-Fier
I thought I would like to sell my old headphones (V-Moda M-100) and get something different, just for general use and such.

I will be using them to listen to music, playing games, and other general headphone-related things. I was also wondering about any possible amp setups, but that can come after I describe my headphones.

WHILE I WILL BE OFTEN USING THEM TO PLAY GAMES, I DO NOT, AND I MEAN DO NOT WANT A GAMING HEADSET. PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST ANY.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few of the things I'm looking for:

-Excellent sound stage
        I don't plan on listening for footsteps and such in CoD, I just want a great, head-surrounding experience. I mean a knock-your-socks-off-good sound stage.

-Be quiet headphones
     Somewhat strange, but I have some pretty sensitive ears, and would like to be able to listen to music/games at the same time on occasion. The setup I have is pretty loud, (to me,) and the V-Modas are too loud when I attempt that, even at the lowest volumes.

-Comfy
     I don't need to explain this....

-Not Glaringly Ugly
    This is opinion-based, but as long as it isn't a trash heap or overly flashy, I'm fine.

-No need for amplification
     Don't really feel like needing an amp to truly enjoy messing around in games.

Things I want but would be willing to give up:

-Bass
     I'm not a basshead by any means, but I want to hear a nice line o' bass clearly. As a comparison, the V-Modas are a good example of what I call completely overly-bassy.

-Passive Noise Cancelling
     I don't really need this, It's just nice to have sometimes. From the little I understand, you can't really have the greatest sound stage in sound-blocking over-the-ear headphones. This can willingly be thrown away in the right case.

-Somewhat Long Cord
     Around 9-10ft would be optimal. A detachable cable would be preferred, but that isn't needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like rock. It's basically all I listen to.

If there is anything else that I didn't describe, I will gladly mention it and add it to the OP.
...never thought I would come back from the dead and post here. This is a nice place.

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Audio Technica AD700, and AKG K701 (also the abit cheaper K612 Pro, which sounds abit warmer, and has a bit smaller soundstage, but still big) should be the ones to get.
The AKGs would need abit power to drive properly, the AT AD700 is easier to drive.
All of them have a very great soundstage

May have a look into this great Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-27-2014-monster-dna-pro-added-edits

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 11
Not sure what kind of setup u are having now..
Have u walked into a store n listened to KEF500 or say NAD HP50?
These are spacious sounding portables. (200 to 300 bucks? :p )

I do enjoy the UE4000 or UE6000 for pops jazz acoustic stuff. 
UE4000 can be had for like usd40bucks on amazon? 
And u dun need amps dacs stuff on this...good to go on your fone /ipad.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 11
  Audio Technica AD700, and AKG K701 (also the abit cheaper K612 Pro, which sounds abit warmer, and has a bit smaller soundstage, but still big) should be the ones to get.
The AKGs would need abit power to drive properly, the AT AD700 is easier to drive.
All of them have a very great soundstage

May have a look into this great Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-1-27-2014-monster-dna-pro-added-edits

Wow, I forgot about that guide. Thanks.

The AKG K701's needing a good amount of power to drive is a problem... It isn't something I want to deal with at this moment. The AD700's seem nice, but the look of them make me cringe. It's too bad the updated version (700X) are supposedly flimsy.

I noticed the Phillips Fidelio X1 in that guide, and it seems perfect as far as I can tell. Clarity, sound stage, still has bass, etc. And none of the "disadvantages" of it seem to bother me. Any info on them? I'll be busy reading millions of reviews, but do you know anything about them?

Also, if I do get them and I need to replace the cable, is there any difference between a cheap and an expensive cable?

Not sure what kind of setup u are having now..
Have u walked into a store n listened to KEF500 or say NAD HP50?
These are spacious sounding portables. (200 to 300 bucks? :p )

I do enjoy the UE4000 or UE6000 for pops jazz acoustic stuff. 
UE4000 can be had for like usd40bucks on amazon? 
And u dun need amps dacs stuff on this...good to go on your fone /ipad.

Whoops, forgot to write about my current setup for games and stuff.

I have an optical audio cable running from the back of my xbox into the base for a wireless gaming headset. It also has a standard headphone jack with a volume control on it. Pretty much Xbox -> Base -> Headphone jack on base -> my headphones.

I was wondering if there was any entry-tier amp that I could get just so it sounds better and isn't a giant fustercluck of cables. It would have to have and optical audio input and a standard headphone jack.

I know nothing at all about amps so I didn't really want to ask this, but I may as well try...

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 11
The X1's are a great choice for bassy music and gaming, due to the large soundstage as you said.

They also don't need amping (at least i don't think so) You missed a sale price where they were just $150 on Amazon, but they are about $250 ATM.

Get the Fidellio X1

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 11
  The X1's are a great choice for bassy music and gaming, due to the large soundstage as you said.

They also don't need amping (at least i don't think so) You missed a sale price where they were just $150 on Amazon, but they are about $250 ATM.

Get the Fidellio X1

Wow, I actually made a decent choice for once? No way!

One last thing, where should I go to sell my old M-100's? And what should I ask? They have maybe 1000 hours on them and have no major scratches.

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 11

Wow, I actually made a decent choice for once? No way!

One last thing, where should I go to sell my old M-100's? And what should I ask? They have maybe 1000 hours on them and have no major scratches.

You could sell them here on Head-Fi if you want, besides that Amazon or Ebay would be good choices. 

Not too familiar on the pre owned price for the M-100 though, you could probably look around and figure out the price you want to sell them at.

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 11
The Fidelio X1 has some negative points.. or better, only one: There are absolutely zero spare parts. If the Earpads are done, you have no choise but to improvise anyhow, to keep using it.
You may get them off, but there are no new earpads you could buy later. Also, if anything breaks in 5-10 years.
Other than that, its an absolute Great headphone. Open, bassy, nice sounding, nice soundstage, very awesome build quality. Also, dont need thaaat much Power to drive, so... Yep, i would definately look into it, and try that out.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 11
Q701.....Fantastic for gaming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back