$200-250 Bass Monster Headphones
Mar 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pelltj03

Head-Fier
Any recommendations for headphones that are heavy in the bass frequencies.  When I say bass heavy I'm talking like vibrate my brain out of my ears heavy.  I have HD650's for everything else, but I'm looking for a pair of full-sizes headphones that will fill another niche.

I have amps to drive them, and I have no real preference between open and closed headphones.  Somewhat high quality in the other frequencies would be nice as well if possible.

Thanks!

Tom

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 9
Maybe M-Audio Q40 with BeyerDynamic DT770 Velour pads (can buy from the Beyer online store or other places), both very strong bass (needs amping to shine and scales well with them) but I'm sure you're set there if you have a HD650 but is also good besides the bass but the bass response is really their strongest point, very good quality hugely boosted bass with superb extension.

To get a rough idea about their bass quantity compare Goldenears FR test of HD650:

VS M-Audio Q40:

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Either the V-Moda Crossfade LP2 or the Sony XB500. I have the LP2 and love the bass on them. Looks like they are out of stock at the V-Moda website, so you can't take advantage of the 60 day test drive, but Amazon.com have them in stock.

I find the bass quality not very good though, affects mids quite a bit and the highs on LP2s are very recessed, I boosted 8kHz by 3.5dB and 16kHz by 5.5dB for somewhat more neutral highs which is IMO unexceptable for a $150+ headphone. Soundwise I'd concider them about $80, only slightly better than the XB500 but they have excellent build quality though without doubt.

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 9
I would also suggest the m-audio q40 based on the reviews and what I hear from other but I have not owned them. I have owned the denon d2k and would say that it should also be considered.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Either the Sony XB700 ($160) or XB1000 ($270) have enough skullcrushing bass that will satisfy your needs. I tried the XB1000 at a local meet and man were they ridiculously bassy in terms of sheer depth and slam.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Any recommendations for headphones that are heavy in the bass frequencies.  When I say bass heavy I'm talking like vibrate my brain out of my ears heavy.  I have HD650's for everything else, but I'm looking for a pair of full-sizes headphones that will fill another niche.

I have amps to drive them, and I have no real preference between open and closed headphones.  Somewhat high quality in the other frequencies would be nice as well if possible.

Thanks!

Tom

M-Audio Q40
Beyer DT770
Denon D2000

Very best,

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 9
There is a nice guide for bassheads:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/567149/my-200-and-under-bassheads-buyers-guide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back