$200-250 amp: Portaphile V2^2, PV2^2 Maxxed, Original Master, or PIMETA?
Jan 1, 2007 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

stewgriff

500+ Head-Fier
Just like the thread says. Portaphile's still selling a limited number of their V2^2 amps, Norm at Go-Vibe has a PIMETA on sale (http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/Other_Amps.html), and I'm also interested in the Original Master. Can someone tell me any of the amps' synergy with Beyers, especially the DT990?

Oh, and is there a drastic difference between the V2^2 and its Maxxed counterpart? I don't really see what's different between the two, except for price.

If anybody has any other suggestions, please say so. But the amp has to be solid state, and preferably new. Thanks.

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just like the thread says. Portaphile's still selling a limited number of their V2^2 amps, Norm at Go-Vibe has a PIMETA on sale (http://www.go-vibe-headphoneamp.com/Other_Amps.html), and I'm also interested in the Original Master. Can someone tell me any of the amps' synergy with Beyers, especially the DT990?

Oh, and is there a drastic difference between the V2^2 and its Maxxed counterpart? I don't really see what's different between the two, except for price.

If anybody has any other suggestions, please say so. But the amp has to be solid state, and preferably used. Thanks.

IMO the only Portaphile worth getting is the PV2^2-LT1210 Maxxed with 2x1500uf Black Gate NX caps. The 1500uf BG caps start the tighter, faster, better-defined character -- but the addition of the LT1210 as virtual ground in the power supply is a startling improvement and changes it into a different and vastly improved amp -- one that is truly unique and worth hearing.

The LT1210 gives it great headroom so that there is great extension down and up the spectrum, with crystal clear highs that allow retrieval of very subtle ambient, spatial and timbral information. It creates a uniquely layered image that very dimension and very specific, with great air and space around performers. It has the best-defined/articular bass of any portable I've heard to date, and lets you hear deeper into the music and between performers.

If you want a portable that retrieves the most musical information you owe it to yourself to get the fully maxxed (LT1210) version. Anything less is a compromise, and you'll be missing a unique experience.

If it could be done, I'd love an amp that combines the best of the PV2^2 LT1210 Maxxed with the best of the M-Hornet.

Be aware that the Black Gate NX caps are notorious for needing extensive "burn in", so that this amp (like the M-Hornet) needs 350+ hours to reach its optimal sound. It has a weird burn-in curve in that it takes a long while for the bass to become manifest, and at first the bigger bass is not quite defined and impinges on the upper frequencies killing the initial sparkle. Eventually the highs clear up beautifully, the bass become very well articulated, and the very entertaining layered imaging opens up.

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 18
Sounds awesome...I've already spent enough money...why not more? From what you say, the $10 LT1210 makes much more of an improvement than the $25 caps. Would omitting the caps really make a dent in the SQ?

Oh, and was the listening done with your Beyer DT880?

Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 18
None of the above, but... the Xenos 1HA-EPC. Must (not quite guaranteed, but as far as me, I'm positive) beat 'em all, and even the pricier things like the Hornet M.

600smile.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 18
Any other thoughts? Fine, I'll consider the Xenos too...
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the only Portaphile worth getting is the PV2^2-LT1210 Maxxed with 2x1500uf Black Gate NX caps. The 1500uf BG caps start the tighter, faster, better-defined character -- but the addition of the LT1210 as virtual ground in the power supply is a startling improvement and changes it into a different and vastly improved amp -- one that is truly unique and worth hearing.

The LT1210 gives it great headroom so that there is great extension down and up the spectrum, with crystal clear highs that allow retrieval of very subtle ambient, spatial and timbral information. It creates a uniquely layered image that very dimension and very specific, with great air and space around performers. It has the best-defined/articular bass of any portable I've heard to date, and lets you hear deeper into the music and between performers.

If you want a portable that retrieves the most musical information you owe it to yourself to get the fully maxxed (LT1210) version. Anything less is a compromise, and you'll be missing a unique experience.

If it could be done, I'd love an amp that combines the best of the PV2^2 LT1210 Maxxed with the best of the M-Hornet.

Be aware that the Black Gate NX caps are notorious for needing extensive "burn in", so that this amp (like the M-Hornet) needs 350+ hours to reach its optimal sound. It has a weird burn-in curve in that it takes a long while for the bass to become manifest, and at first the bigger bass is not quite defined and impinges on the upper frequencies killing the initial sparkle. Eventually the highs clear up beautifully, the bass become very well articulated, and the very entertaining layered imaging opens up.

Very well said, specially the part about burn in. If I may I would suggest you buy a PSU to help defray the battery cost during the 350 to 400 hour burn in.

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 18
burning in a portaphile with LT1210 will cost you many 9v batteries...they only last 2 hrs...resorting to a power ac-dc adapter will be necessary...

just remember to use a power adapter less than 18v to power the portaphiles v2^2 maxxed with the 1500blackgate caps...anything higher may burn the caps out...and better yet use a regulated power adapter to be safe...a linear type will aide the LT1210 provide a very low noise floor too...

Jan 2, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 18
Would this work? So the Portaphile's the best option? Is there really a drastic difference between the basic w/ LT1210 and the Maxxed w/ LT1210? Romanee, others?

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
burning in a portaphile with LT1210 will cost you many 9v batteries...they only last 2 hrs...resorting to a power ac-dc adapter will be necessary...

just remember to use a power adapter less than 18v to power the portaphiles v2^2 maxxed with the 1500blackgate caps...anything higher may burn the caps out...and better yet use a regulated power adapter to be safe...a linear type will aide the LT1210 provide a very low noise floor too...

I use the iPower 500mAh Li-Po rechargeable 9V batteries with Class-A biasing on but Wide Bandwidth off and I get 8-9 hours continuous play.

With these settings and Ultralife 1200mAh disposable 9V I get about 20 hours.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Would this work? So the Portaphile's the best option? Is there really a drastic difference between the basic w/ LT1210 and the Maxxed w/ LT1210? Romanee, others?

Yes. The LT1210 Maxxed with 1500uf Black Gate NX caps is much better. The 1500uf caps help increase definition, control and HF extension -- which the LT1210 then improve dramatically. The 1000uf Black Gate NX caps are very nice, but don't quite have the speed, definition, HF extension and "control" that the 1500uf caps have -- so getting all the options is, as I've said, the only way to go.

I do, however, have one friend who actually likes the 1000uf caps without the latest mods -- because he prefers the warmer, more forgiving, less uber-detailed sound. Everyone's should follow his/her own preferences.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 18
Well, I don't have the best of sources, and I have a lot of music that isn't exactly at top quality encoding. Will the Portaphile w/o the Black Gate caps still have a lot of all those qualities you described? I'd probably prefer a warmer sound.

Sorry for asking this again, but were these impressions done w/ your DT880?

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the iPower 500mAh Li-Po rechargeable 9V batteries with Class-A biasing on but Wide Bandwidth off and I get 8-9 hours continuous play.

With these settings and Ultralife 1200mAh disposable 9V I get about 20 hours.

excellent info.! thank you!

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
None of the above, but... the Xenos 1HA-EPC. Must (not quite guaranteed, but as far as me, I'm positive) beat 'em all, and even the pricier things like the Hornet M.

600smile.gif

I was being serious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 18
Out of curiosity, why didn't you consider the Little Dot Micro Tube at all? It perfectly falls in your price range...

P.S.: I have ordered my Xenos 1HA-EPC
600smile.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Well, I don't have the best of sources, and I have a lot of music that isn't exactly at top quality encoding. Will the Portaphile w/o the Black Gate caps still have a lot of all those qualities you described? I'd probably prefer a warmer sound.

Sorry for asking this again, but were these impressions done w/ your DT880?

Tricky question. All versions of the PV2^2 have Black Gate NX caps. The 1500uf BG NX caps offer the tightest, fastest, best-defined character; the 1000uf BG NX caps are warmer, rounder, less-defined, less-well-imaged. The LT1210 is needed for the best extension, definition and imaging.

It's been too long and I don't recall how the 1000uf BG NX caps + LT1210 sounds. Perhaps someone who has that configuration can comment.

The PV2^2 Maxxed with LT1210 and 1500uf caps has very deep/warm bass -- it's just much better defined and the bass does not impinge on the midrange -- and this config really has the "wow" factor. It's just missing a touch of warmth in the mids, most evident with voices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back