$200-250 amp: Portaphile V2^2, PV2^2 Maxxed, Original Master, or PIMETA?
Jan 2, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't have the best of sources, and I have a lot of music that isn't exactly at top quality encoding. Will the Portaphile w/o the Black Gate caps still have a lot of all those qualities you described? I'd probably prefer a warmer sound.

Sorry for asking this again, but were these impressions done w/ your DT880?

I find the maxxed out unit to be warm and very detailed. It is a nice amp specially for those who enjoy a very punchy bass.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 18
One last question. mrarroyo, how would you compare the Portaphile to the Headphonia? Skylab's review made me have 2nd doubts about spending $150 vs. $250 on an amp...

Edit: I saw Romanee's post regarding the mSeed Faith, regarded on a similar level. From his opinion, I would assume that the Portaphile is far superior. Would I be right?

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One last question. mrarroyo, how would you compare the Portaphile to the Headphonia? Skylab's review made me have 2nd doubts about spending $150 vs. $250 on an amp...

Edit: I saw Romanee's post regarding the mSeed Faith, regarded on a similar level. From his opinion, I would assume that the Portaphile is far superior. Would I be right?

I truly think the maxxed out portaphile is a great amp and should be on the top of any portable amp list. My only gripe is how fast it goes thru batteries. If you get it I would strongly suggest you get a PSU to burn it in and the 500 mAh rechargeable batteries for your transportable use. Besides this small issue I believe you will be very happy with the Portaphile.

As far as the Headphonia it is a nice unit with a lot of great features but IMO it falls short of the Portaphile sound. However I am expecting an upgraded unit with the AD8397 which is expected by Robert to improve the bass and the overall amp clarity.

At the end of the day you need to decide if you need a USB Dac, if no then go for the Portaphile it will bring an smile to your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back