<$200.00 DAC with Built In Headphone Amp
Aug 26, 2012 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Negative818

Head-Fier
I'm looking for my first DAC to use with my PC. I have active speakers so I don't need an amp for them, but I want a DAC with a built in amp that is powerful enough to drive more demanding headphones. Currently, the most demanding that I have are the DT990 PRO 250 ohms, however, I anticipate that this will change as I explore more expensive headphones. I've narrowed my list of DAC/AMPS down to the following:

iBasso D7 - USB Powered
Audioengine D1 - USB Powered
Audinst HUD-mx1 - USB Powered
FiiO E17 - USB Powered
Maverick D1 - AC/Outlet Powerd

Out of these five which provides not only the most powerful headphone amp, but also the best DAC (I'm not familiar with the different kinds of DAC ships on the market)?

I currently have an E11 that I use with my iPod classic and I love the bass that this amp provides so I would like a DAC/AMP that provides an increase in the bass.

As I don't require a portable DAC/AMP I am leaning towards the Maverick D1 as it's the only DAC/AMP that's in this price range that I can find that does not draw it's power from USB, but from AC (more power to the amp).

Please share any opinions on any of these as I also want a DAC/AMP that also provides decent SQ and soundstage.

One last question, is the upgrade to the OPA627 OpAmp and GE5670W Tube on the Maverick D1 worth the price increase?

Thanks for the help.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 17
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
I'm looking for my first DAC to use with my PC. I have active speakers so I don't need an amp for them, but I want a DAC with a built in amp that is powerful enough to drive more demanding headphones. Currently, the most demanding that I have are the DT990 PRO 250 ohms......

I too am just starting to search for a headphone Amp / DAC .   On my short list is the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 and the Maverick D1. (The TubeDAC-11 unfortunately is a bit above your $200 price point)  I own the FIIO E7 and its a great portable amp/dac, offers great iPod integration, but lacks the omph of the E17.  I regret not going with the E17 but will reserve the E7 for portable use.

In my recent quest, I am looking for a 2nd DAC that allows me to use my laptop as the source and run headphones with some authority.    My second need is that I would like to run a DAC "analog out" connection to my NAD Amp for home listening.  So far the Maverick looks promising since I am intrigued by having a tube based DAC, but I have simply not read enough reviews to be convinced.  

The Audioengine D1 also looks promising with similar features.

Additionally, I have looked at the FIIO E9 to run with my E7, which would give me the DAC "analog out" feature as well (as far as I currently understand its functionality)   Currently the E9 is less than $90 so it would keep me at a low price point.

Anyway, I think we are on a similar quest and I will add information to this post as I find things out.   I look forward following this thread  :)

Good Luck

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 17
Unfortunately, I can't offer you any comparisons.  I can, however, say that I bought the HUD-mx1 for my DT880 (250 ohms) and haven't regretted it for a second.  It's an absolute steal for $179.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 17
In my opinion the D1 as a DAC is okay at the price of $170, but I really dislike its headphone amp, its forward sounding and just doesn't sound that dynamic, I wish I had gone with the D7, as it supposed to be a good sounding amp/dac, though I can't compare them as I've never heard it. I regret buying the D1 personally and wish I had gone with something else...
Just my 2 cents.

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
In my opinion the D1 as a DAC is okay at the price of $170, but I really dislike its headphone amp, its forward sounding and just doesn't sound that dynamic, I wish I had gone with the D7, as it supposed to be a good sounding amp/dac, though I can't compare them as I've never heard it. I regret buying the D1 personally and wish I had gone with something else...
Just my 2 cents.

Swatcsi,

I was curious if when you refer to the "D1" are you talking about the Audioengine D1 or the Maverick D1?  Based on the price you quoted, I assumed the Audioengine since the entry level Maverick D1 is right at $200.  Just wanted to be 100% sure.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 17
Yea I ment the AudioEngine. I've heard the Maverick D1 a while ago and though it sounded decent, but I don't really remember 
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

I too am just starting to search for a headphone Amp / DAC .   On my short list is the Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 and the Maverick D1. (The TubeDAC-11 unfortunately is a bit above your $200 price point)  I own the FIIO E7 and its a great portable amp/dac, offers great iPod integration, but lacks the omph of the E17.  I regret not going with the E17 but will reserve the E7 for portable use.

In my recent quest, I am looking for a 2nd DAC that allows me to use my laptop as the source and run headphones with some authority.    My second need is that I would like to run a DAC "analog out" connection to my NAD Amp for home listening.  So far the Maverick looks promising since I am intrigued by having a tube based DAC, but I have simply not read enough reviews to be convinced.  

The Audioengine D1 also looks promising with similar features.

Additionally, I have looked at the FIIO E9 to run with my E7, which would give me the DAC "analog out" feature as well (as far as I currently understand its functionality)   Currently the E9 is less than $90 so it would keep me at a low price point.

Anyway, I think we are on a similar quest and I will add information to this post as I find things out.   I look forward following this thread  :)

Good Luck

The E9 does certainly provide a line out (RCA sockets) but it's a bit expensive just to add that! You can alternatively add a very cheap FiiO L7 interface which adds a line out (mini-jack) for c $10 (IIRC, I paid around £7 UKP for mine).

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

The E9 does certainly provide a line out (RCA sockets) but it's a bit expensive just to add that! You can alternatively add a very cheap FiiO L7 interface which adds a line out (mini-jack) for c $10 (IIRC, I paid around £7 UKP for mine).

Good to know my understanding was correct on the E9 line out.    Just a few follow-ups:

When I look at the E9, I made the assumption that it would actually provide me 2 benefits over my current E7 configuration.   
1.  The E7 coupled with the E9 would give me better headphone sound due to my perception that the E9 provided more amplification?  
2.  I took a look at the L7 interface, and from what I think you are suggesting is that I could use this to connect my F7, to an AMP via the line out.   But this is where get lost,,,  On the back of my NAD amp, there are three sources for "digital in"  One is a optical, and the other two separate inputs look similar to RCA sockets.  So I guess my questions are, what does the cable look like that goes from the L7 to the amp, and does it connect to the Digital In, or possibly some other input like an RCA socket?

Thanks

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Good to know my understanding was correct on the E9 line out.    Just a few follow-ups:

When I look at the E9, I made the assumption that it would actually provide me 2 benefits over my current E7 configuration.   
1.  The E7 coupled with the E9 would give me better headphone sound due to my perception that the E9 provided more amplification?  
2.  I took a look at the L7 interface, and from what I think you are suggesting is that I could use this to connect my F7, to an AMP via the line out.   But this is where get lost,,,  On the back of my NAD amp, there are three sources for "digital in"  One is a optical, and the other two separate inputs look similar to RCA sockets.  So I guess my questions are, what does the cable look like that goes from the L7 to the amp, and does it connect to the Digital In, or possibly some other input like an RCA socket?

Thanks

1. Yup, the additional power certainly helps.

2. The output from the E9 (and the L7) line out is analogue, not digital. Therefore, you connect to an analogue input (AUX, for example) on your amp using an RCA cable (or a mini-jack -> RCA in the case of the L7).

Incidentally, the "other two" digital inputs on your amp will be co-ax digital connections.

HTH dude!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back