20% off DVD sale
Jun 18, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 33
Man, this sale is giving me "Record Store Amnesia." You know what I'm talking about. The second you walk into a good, well-stocked record store, you forget exactly what you're looking for and what you want.

So I need DVD recommendations.

I'm on a big David Lynch kick at the moment; probably going to pick up Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Blue Velvet. Japanese horror is good too. I'm looking for quirky, weird, creepy, strange, good films. Suggestions please!

- Chris

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
I'm on a big David Lynch kick at the moment; probably going to pick up Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Blue Velvet. Japanese horror is good too. I'm looking for quirky, weird, creepy, strange, good films. Suggestions please!

- Chris

Don't forget "Wild at Heart"!

Jun 18, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 33
I can't believe more people on headfi aren't jumping on this deal.

20% off deals like this don't come around very often...

I placed a $150 order last night, thinking about placing another order. There goes my money for another amp
eek.gif

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 33
thanks ampgalore!
i just picked up:

RED DWARF SERIES 3 & 4 $ 41.99 1 $ 41.99
THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS (WS) (2D) $ 14.31 1 $ 14.31
ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (SE) $ 17.15 1 $ 17.15
SOUTH PARK-3RD COMPLETE SEASON $ 28.80 1 $ 28.80
Your Total: $102.25

only red dwarf was os.

Jun 18, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 33
Let's make this thread where we list the DVDs we ordered (money which could have been spent on audio equipment
biggrin.gif
).

My order:

Seven samurai, criterion collection
Ran, masterworks collection
Tokyo story, criterion collection
Ikiru, criterion collection
Le cercule rouge, criterion collection
Wild strawberries, criterion collection
That obscure oject of desire, criterion collection

I don't like mainstream movies these days anymore. I prefer foreign langauge films.

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 33
So far I have:

Mulholland Drive
Angel Season 2
Firefly - Complete Series
Twin Peaks - Season 1

Thinking about picking up Six Feet Under season 2, but it's $75. Ow.
frown.gif

Suggestions for cult/horror/indie/weird/cool/etc films wanted!

- Chris

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 33
Criterion carries a lot of foreign language films, some of which are indie. They hold their resale value very well, compared to mainstream titles. That's also true for anime DVDs. That's why I hardly purchase mainstream titles anymore nowadays.

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 33
Yeah, I'd like to get a couple Criterion films. But there are so many I don't know where to start. I'm fond of alternative cinema, but a lot of what Criterion releases seems to be.... a little too "slow" and "foreign" for my tastes. But I'm mostly speaking out of ignorance here.

- Chris

Jun 18, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #12 of 33
I used to be really into collecting DVDs (for the sake of collecting, not for watching). I was fortunate that I got most of my DVDs at bargain basement prices.

After a while I sold off most of my mainstream titles, when I found out prices on the used DVD market were REALLY coming down from they heydays. Luckily because I bought low, so I made back most of what I spent.

This is not true for the Criterion collections, they are very sought after.

Do a search on amazon for criterion, you should get an idea.

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #13 of 33
Last time they did a 20% off, I ordered the entire Wagner Ring Cycle with Met/Levine. Deepdiscount screwed up and sent me two copies of Siegfried and no Walkure! Then their consumer service denied this happened.

Anyway, I've decided to risk it again and place an order for Die Walkure to complete the collection....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back