20$ Ebay Cmoy Amp
Jan 27, 2007 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sonic_rage

500+ Head-Fier
I recently pulled the trigger on a cheap amp ive found while surfing ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Headpho...QQcmdZViewItem

It's called the Little Black cmoy 2 and came in the mail a few days ago.
It's a very basic amp with no volume pot with a built in cheapo interconnect.
The construction is good, well made amp in a durable enclosure for almost nothing.
The amp utilizes a OPA2134 amp IC.
The seller sells one amp at a time, so once the current auction is done another one will pop up the next day. Another good thing is that he ships to Canada for the same price as shipping within the US.

With my 1g shuffle and a pair ksc35s the amp sounds pretty good, it's more detailed and brighter than my PA2V2, but with similar punch in bass. Battery life is good with over 30+ hours of use and counting. What i dont like about the amp is the noticeable hiss when no music is playing or when there's a pause in the music, but what more can i ask for in a 20$.

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 5
Thats about as cheap as it gets, I guess...

Although honestly, why not just make it yourself? You could at least add a mini jack for $0.50

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the 'Heads Up'. Great for DIYers to start modding from. Also cost effective for the kids who want the same approach as what Dad has!

Jan 27, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Thats basically why I dont like the PA2V2... IMHO its a very dark/conjested sounding circuit. cant roll OP amps either. IMHO a basic cmoy with the right OP amp can surpass the PA2V2.

Add a mini jack for a buck and a 10k pot if you like too. Bump it up to 18V and plug in an OPA2107. Might be able to get away with bypassing the input filter caps too... but only if your DC offset is not too much.

Im not a big fan of that tele rail splitter. But, its simple, reliable and a very stable way to get +V, -V and Ground to the OP amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back