2 soundcards - how to use both at the same time?
Nov 16, 2005 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ipumuk

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
i have an audigy 2 zs and an onboard soundcard. they re both installed and working.

but i only get soundoutput from the soundcard i ve chosen in the windows system sound panel:

sound.jpg

is there a way i can use the output of both soundcards at the same time?
that way i could run my speakers and headphones at the same time ....

i hope you can help me.

Nov 16, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 6
Are you looking for a kind of "quadrophonic sound" by running both headphones and speakers at the same time?

I guess not
icon10.gif

If I'm correct, you probably want system sounds out of your speakers and audio through your E5c's.

The easiest way of doing this would be to set your default soundcard for your speakers (worst quality) and then within your audio application change the output device to the other soundcard (best quality) - and as "Fatality" states below, as long as the application/program for music allows you to do this (note that Media Player 10 does)

Make sense?

Nov 16, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 6
You can only use both if the program in which you want to use the another one allows to choose the sound card..

Nov 16, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Curious, is there a particular reason why two soundcards are in use at the same time on this computer? I'm not sure since I don't own one(I have a Chaintech AV710), but an Audigy 2 ZS should be able to output to two sources at the same time one way or the other. My soundcard does, by means of either two analog line outs because it hasn't been set up to make use of any 7.1 features (Does the AV710 have any common use for 7.1?
confused.gif
I though it was better suited for stereo...), or by one analog and the other as digital by optic cable.

I have my rig set up this way because I use my headphone amp primarily off the DAC inside my soundcard, and because I have a speaker system wtih digital input and a card that can spit out analog and digital versions of the same signal at the same time. It's also set up so that I can use my headphone amp with my reciever when I want to have a higher quality output than my reciever offers out of its 1/4" jack when it's not pushing multichannel surround sound.

What you might try to do is find out if using the second card is even necessary, because one card is usually enough, unless you run musician-intensive applicatiions on your computer (running multiple midi keyboards, mics, DAT decks, amps, things like that). If you can use your Audigy to drive two devices, that should be more suitable, and if you want to disengage the other card to see if this is right for you, its not hard to do:
1.Go to your control panel
2. Go to system settings
3. Go to device manager
4. find the soundcard you want to change settings for
5. click disable device (in hardware profile)
6. Shut down your PC
7. remove the soundcard you just disengaged from your system
8. restart

This should remedy things for you, because more often than not running two cards is just not necessary unless it has to stay in there for reasons beyond your control. In that case, you just follow steps 1-5. In any case, try to consult the manual that came with your Audigy and see if it supports being hooked up the way you need, this might answer your question and make things easier for you.

580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
but an Audigy 2 ZS should be able to output to two sources at the same time

is this possible with my iaudigy 2 zs? from what i know i only have one analog output ;(

my problem right now is that i sometimes listen to movies via my speakers. i do this by just unplugging my headset from the line out and plugin the cable from the speakers. if i could connect headset and speakers to my computer at the same time i would not have to crawl under my desktop everytime i switch.

besides that i will get a headphone (hf-1) and an amp (lambda) in a few days so i will actually need 3 lineouts depending what i am doing (game(headset), music (headphone), movie (speaker)).

can i get them working all at the same time? 2 analog outputs from my iaudigy would be great too. but i don't know how to set it up ;(

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 6
How about using a $5 headphone splitter jack?

Like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back