2 potential systems, 1 poor wallet
Oct 19, 2007 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gkl

100+ Head-Fier
Basically I'm considering one of these systems and I'm a bit stumped. Each one has their own positives and negatives so it's bloody hard to choose. They are:

Beyerdynamic DT880 (2005 edition) + Meier Cantate

or

Stax SRS-3050

What's extremely good about the 1st one is that it's much more versatile than the Stax system as I can pair Cantate with as many dynamic cans as I'd like. Not so with SRS-3050 as the amp will only accept electrostats.
On the other hand, I'm a bit intrigued about the sound of an electrostat and people raving about it. Is SRS-3050 a good entry system that I won't feel like upgrading for a pretty long time? How versatile are SR-303s (they come with the system)?
Also, a quite important factor is cost and the Stax system is a bit cheaper.
But on another hand, I really like The Beatles and their songs could really benefit from the nice Meier crossfeed.

To be honest I'm more leaning towards the 1st system.

The source will be E-MU 0404 USB. Some music that I like:
Boards of Canada
The Beatles
Aphex Twin
Nirvana
Beck
Johnny Cash
some jazz
ambient
occasional metal, hard rock and all kinds of electronical music (no club music though)

My current headphones are Sennheiser HD595 which are very nice but I'm looking for something with more clarity, detail. Soundstage is always nice, as is comfort.

Any help is appreciated as I really need it!
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 7
For your kind of music (and between these two): DT880 & Cantate.
I find the Stax 3050 lacking bass (impact) and rather thin sounding. Not very involving. They are very fast and detailed, but just not very alive.
The DT880 + Meier amps are a very good combo, and as you said: very versatile. The sound is warmer, and has more body. Highs are still fast and detailed. The whole sound is very much alive.
All my opinion of course.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 7
Go for the Stax system.
lambda.gif

No questions asked, in my opinion...

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 7
@facelvega
lol you are the reason why I actually have this problem
biggrin.gif

@Kees
hmm if the sound is like you describe, maybe Cantate + DT880 really is for me

@all
how yould you describe the general stax sound?

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 7
First system - that way you can try out different sounds much more easily. I'd think it'd be more fun having a good amp with say three distinct hi-end dynamic cans than only one electrostatic setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back