2 more days of freedom...
Aug 4, 2003 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

brent_mr2

100+ Head-Fier
Well, after 18 months unemployed, I finally got a job and a decent job too! I'm starting Wednesday at Sitel for their General Motors division doing customer service. I don't care for customer service too much, but a job's a job and I don't have a degree. I am a car nut (unfortunately my bias isn't toward domestics) so this will be a chance to learn more about other cars. They also have a program where you can take a brand new car home for three days to give your reaction to customers. I won't be doing support for Hummer, or Cadillac so obviously I won't get to take one of them home.

I'm not a morning person and I'll have to get up at 5:30AM for the next month, but it's a month of paid training so I really can't complain.

I'm going for my piss test today and tonight I'm going to have some filet mignon
wink.gif

But I'll have to say, after 18 months you really lose your work ethic. It's so nice to have an income and be able to go out during the day and enjoy life. But with all the medical debt I have, it's time to get serious again.

Aug 4, 2003 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 6
congrats brent.

it is a really tough job market out there these days. in pretty much all markets. so you have to be thankful.

advice: after you get settled in the job, keep going to school part-time and finish a degree. any degree. just take my word for it, please. you will thank me in ten years.

good luck with the new job, man.

Aug 4, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 6
congrats, Bret.

I'm nearing 2 years without a job. i'm still paying off my debt - and $40 late fees are really starting to piss me off. (I just got one for sending in my payment 2 weeks early. I'll be ripping that credit card, pronto).

Aug 5, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys!

jpelg, I do have a few years of university and I recently took MTH 111 and got a B so except for writing, I'm ready to jump right back into school. My bro just finished his liberal arts associate's degree, he plans to go into a specialized video editing program. But yea, I am seeing first hand how valuable a degree is in this competitive job market. I think Sitel has a tuition reimbusement program so I'll definitely look into that.

Fractus2: No idea. The makes I'd be supporting are: Pontiac, Oldsmobile, GMC, Buick and Chevrolet, so it could be any model from any of those divisions of GM. I have a friend moving up here soon that owns a Camaro Z28, so I know for sure I'll get some experience with that one. I don't think there's much of a choice either, just first come first serve. I'd be on a waiting list for about three months as I understand it.

wallijonn: Man that sucks! Penalizing you for paying early. Clark Howard (radio consumer advocate) recommends making half your monthly payment every two weeks, it helps reduce the amount of interest you pay. But I guess if they're going to penalize you for it, don't. Good plan on ripping that one up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back