2.5mm vs 4.5mm balanced
Jul 13, 2019 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SoundChoice

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to take the plunge into finally getting a DAP (Fiio M11) but this means if I'm going to get the most out of it, I'll need to start investing in balanced cables. If the player has both 2.5mm and 4.5mm balanced outputs, is there a difference between the two or is one preferred or more future proof? This will be for more 'on the go' so I was thinking the smaller plug than the bigger clunky one, but what I do know: I've never bought, carried or listened to a balanced cable before. Thanks for your input and knowledge.

Jul 13, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 3
4.4mm...

The bigger plug is sturdier, more contact area. But the 2.5mm is certainly more pocket-friendly.

Jul 17, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 3
4.4mm...

The bigger plug is sturdier, more contact area. But the 2.5mm is certainly more pocket-friendly.
100% agree, 4.4 > 2.5 in every respect. its not that much bigger than a standard 3.5 so it still remains fairly pocket/portable friendly.
Has more contact surface area and is a lot stronger so the odds of bending (i've never heard or seen of anyone snapping a 2.5, but bending slightly yes) is very unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back