2.5mm iem cable converted with adaptor to 4.4mm, will this degrade/affect sound quality as compared to getting a cable with a default 4.4mm plug? Also is paying a premium price for an unbalanced cable worth it?
Jun 3, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 20
Thanks for the info, just to confirm, the 2 silver litz cable you've mentioned are the same brand and model just with different plugs (2.5mm and 4.4mm)?
Do you mind sharing a link to the adapter you're using?

I'm guessing it is one without a cable, basically just a hard adapter.

For the adapter, if you move/rotate the cable's jack while its plug into the adapter and while there's music playing, do you here any noise or experience slight cut offs?

Sounds like you would also go with the 2.5mm variant + adapter (balanced connection) over the 3.5mm variant direct (unbalanced connection)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DD-Balance...23846&sprefix=dd+2.5mm+to+4.4mm,aps,84&sr=8-2

51BdcKwbuuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yes, currently no loss of signal when rotating and normally yes on balanced vs 3.5mm SE but depends, Mogo 2 is excellent 3.5mm only.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #17 of 20
Cables are simple electrical connectors, their properties are well understood, and can be measured precisely, the BS around them is surprising and totally regretful/dismaying in this hobby....

Pretending to "hear" or "believing", as some prefer to put it for the lack of any evidence, is just to coerce people to pay for premium cables, especially for those "TOTLs". To each their own, again - it is a free wild world...
I'd agree mostly, but with my 8 Ohm SE846 I can hear a change with solid silver as resistivity between the two is different and a bigger % change on a low impedence SE846.

I also had a Sony Kimber Kable (copper) that tested higher resistivity for some reason than a standard good quality copper and that also sounded different, but worse IMO for me.

If I use cables on say a 50-75 Ohm IEM such as my FD7 or M9 I can't say I notice much, if anything.

Build quality, feel, no microphonics, connector type/angle, cable length/softness/flexibility etc. are more reasons to purchase other cables.

Good copper vs excellent copper, no audible difference to me apart from one I mentioned above and even then, only on my sensitive 8 Ohm IEM's

Of course, others may find differently, I've never heard through anyone else's 👂 😄

PS, if I recall correctly, the Kimber measured over 1.5 Ohm while others under 1 Ohm. Silver is typically 7% more conductive than copper.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 20
I'd agree mostly, but with my 8 Ohm SE846 I can hear a change with solid silver as resistivity between the two is different and a bigger % change on a low impedence SE846.

I also had a Sony Kimber Kable (copper) that tested higher resistivity for some reason than a standard good quality copper and that also sounded different, but worse IMO for me.

If I use cables on say a 50-75 Ohm IEM such as my FD7 or M9 I can't say I notice much, if anything.

Build quality, feel, no microphonics, connector type/angle, cable length/softness/flexibility etc. are more reasons to purchase other cables.

Good copper vs excellent copper, no audible difference to me apart from one I mentioned above and even then, only on my sensitive 8 Ohm IEM's

Of course, others may find differently, I've never heard through anyone else's 👂 😄

PS, if I recall correctly, the Kimber measured over 1.5 Ohm while others under 1 Ohm. Silver is typically 7% more conductive than copper.
People can "hear" many different things - just read all those cable reviews (and laugh or cry...).

These points have all been discussed to death previously, just to point out briefly:

1. Is your source rated to drive 8-Ohm load (most are rated from 16 to 300 Ohm, and then "8 Ohm" is a nominal value at 1 kHz. It can be much lower at other frequencies, especially for a multi-BA IEM).

2. If silver is 10% more conductive than copper, but copper wires are just 5% thicker (copper is much cheaper), would it be any difference in resistivity?

3. 1.5 or even 1 Ohm is too high for a decent IEM cable, a single strand is usually around (or below) 0.3 Ohm.

4. Absolutely, the main reason to get replacement cables is the comfort for the fit and microphonics, as well as aesthetics, but then it should not cost much more than $20-$30 for a well-made cable with proper soldering and well-fiting connectors.

The bottom line is that no any solid evidence on copper vs. silver, etc. has been demonstrated so far despite all the hype/hoopla over all the recent years, so why to assume that it exists against any common sense, e.g. Occam's razor.

Jun 3, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #19 of 20
People can "hear" many different things - just read all those cable reviews (and laugh or cry...).

These points have all been discussed to death previously, just to point out briefly:

1. Is your source rated to drive 8-Ohm load (most are rated from 16 to 300 Ohm, and then "8 Ohm" is a nominal value at 1 kHz. It can be much lower at other frequencies, especially for a multi-BA IEM).

2. If silver is 10% more conductive than copper, but copper wires are just 5% thicker (copper is much cheaper), would it be any difference in resistivity?

3. 1.5 or even 1 Ohm is too high for a decent IEM cable, a single strand is usually around (or below) 0.3 Ohm.

4. Absolutely, the main reason to get replacement cables is the comfort for the fit and microphonics, as well as aesthetics, but then it should not cost much more than $20-$30 for a well-made cable with proper soldering and well-fiting connectors.

The bottom line is that no any solid evidence on copper vs. silver, etc. has been demonstrated so far despite all the hype/hoopla over all the recent years, so why to assume that it exists against any common sense, e.g. Occam's razor.
Yes, my days of seeing if expensive cables do much to sound is long gone.

I still think I could blind test my litz silver vs decent copper but only with my SE846's and its subtle to the point of little difference (or imagined!).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 20
Cables are simple electrical connectors, their properties are well understood, and can be measured precisely, the BS around them is surprising and totally regretful/dismaying in this hobby....

Pretending to "hear" or "believing", as some prefer to put it for the lack of any evidence, is just to coerce people to pay for premium cables, especially for those "TOTLs". To each their own, again - it is a free wild world...
and sometimes ignorance is bliss. It's about finding your personal bliss. Is blind testing considered evidence or are you going to continue to pile on this after previously agreeing 'to each his own'. No one is proving anything on a message board and if I told you I picked cable direction blind 5 out of 5 without ever needing to guess you wouldn't believe me so what's the point?

It's also against forum rules to tell others what they can or cannot perceive outside the sound science forum. I know that you're trying to help but you're really not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back