2.5mm iem cable converted with adaptor to 4.4mm, will this degrade/affect sound quality as compared to getting a cable with a default 4.4mm plug? Also is paying a premium price for an unbalanced cable worth it?
Jun 3, 2023 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Kepller

100+ Head-Fier
2.5mm iem cable converted with adaptor to 4.4mm, will this degrade/affect sound quality as compared to getting a cable with a default 4.4mm plug?

This is because I can get a REF 8 ALO cable at a good price, but only in the 3.5mm or 2.5mm variant. I do not have a source with 2.5mm, my source only either takes in 3.5mm or 4.4mm.

Going by this limitation and also seeing how some 2.5mm to 4.4mm adaptors are constructed.... especially those with the short wires stating to be silver plated copper / ofc copper etc... It seems like the final sound that would end up in my ears will not be the actual sound of the cable.. it will be further colored by the adaptor.

Hence I'm thinking of just screwing it and getting the 3.5mm variant.. At least for that I wouldn't have to rely on additional adaptors. But then the question would be is it worth paying a considerable high price for a 3.5mm / unbalanced cable? Do audiophiles still buy custom high end unbalanced cable?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #2 of 20
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 20
Yes it will degrade/affect sound quality. As to how much or if you'd even notice if dependent on your gear and ears. If you can't get the cable reterminated then consider something like this

https://ibasso.com/product/ca02/
https://en.cayin.cn/features/7/16/473.html
Thanks for the info, would you still recommend these adaptors that might still color the sound, over the direct 3.5mm unbalanced variant of the cable? Maybe I should just go for the 3.5mm variant of the cable since its the most widely supported format and not have to worry about adaptors altogether. Sacrifice some noise reduction from the balanced variant at most.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the info, would you still recommend these adaptors that might still color the sound, over the direct 3.5mm unbalanced variant of the cable? Maybe I should just go for the 3.5mm variant of the cable since its the most widely supported format and not have to worry about adaptors altogether. Sacrifice some noise reduction from the balanced variant at most.

Yeah I'd still go with adapters over unbalanced.

Jun 3, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 20
2.5mm iem cable converted with adaptor to 4.4mm, will this degrade/affect sound quality as compared to getting a cable with a default 4.4mm plug?

This is because I can get a REF 8 ALO cable at a good price, but only in the 3.5mm or 2.5mm variant. I do not have a source with 2.5mm, my source only either takes in 3.5mm or 4.4mm.

Going by this limitation and also seeing how some 2.5mm to 4.4mm adaptors are constructed.... especially those with the short wires stating to be silver plated copper / ofc copper etc... It seems like the final sound that would end up in my ears will not be the actual sound of the cable.. it will be further colored by the adaptor.

Hence I'm thinking of just screwing it and getting the 3.5mm variant.. At least for that I wouldn't have to rely on additional adaptors. But then the question would be is it worth paying a considerable high price for a 3.5mm / unbalanced cable? Do audiophiles still buy custom high end unbalanced cable?

I have a silver Litz cable with 2.5mm balanced and a dd 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, and also have a silver litz cable with an actual 4.4mm balanced. No audible difference for me using the 2.5mm with the 4.4mm adapter vs the 4.4mm terminated cable.

Jun 3, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 20
I have a silver Litz cable with 2.5mm balanced and a dd 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, and also have a silver litz cable with an actual 4.4mm balanced. No audible difference for me using the 2.5mm with the 4.4mm adapter vs the 4.4mm terminated cable.
Thanks for the info, just to confirm, the 2 silver litz cable you've mentioned are the same brand and model just with different plugs (2.5mm and 4.4mm)?
Do you mind sharing a link to the adapter you're using?

I'm guessing it is one without a cable, basically just a hard adapter.

For the adapter, if you move/rotate the cable's jack while its plug into the adapter and while there's music playing, do you here any noise or experience slight cut offs?

Sounds like you would also go with the 2.5mm variant + adapter (balanced connection) over the 3.5mm variant direct (unbalanced connection)?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 20
Yes it will degrade/affect sound quality. As to how much or if you'd even notice if dependent on your gear and ears. If you can't get the cable reterminated then consider something like this

https://ibasso.com/product/ca02/
https://en.cayin.cn/features/7/16/473.html
Do you have any evidence for the sound degradation?

TRI connectors are much more affordable (and do not degrade the sound for me; how would/could they?)

It is huge business selling different cables at different exorbitant prices.

Any good cable from $8-10 with the resistance below 0.2-0.3 Ohm for a single strand will do for most cases.

Then to each their own...

Jun 3, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 20
This.

As I said it's heavily dependent on gear and ears. Take a TOTL cable and for some they can hear a difference with a Pentacon connector vs others.

It's up to each of us to decide if it makes a difference to us.
Cables are simple electrical connectors, their properties are well understood, and can be measured precisely, the BS around them is surprising and totally regretful/dismaying in this hobby....

Pretending to "hear" or "believing", as some prefer to put it for the lack of any evidence, is just to coerce people to pay for premium cables, especially for those "TOTLs". To each their own, again - it is a free wild world...

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #11 of 20
Cables are simple electrical connectors, their properties are well understood, and can be measured precisely, the BS around them is surprising and totally regretful/dismaying in this hobby....

Pretending to "hear" or "believing", as some prefer to put it for the lack of any evidence is just to coerce people to pay for premium cables, especially for those "TOTLs". To eaxh their own, again.

As I said to each their own. Keep your biases to yourself.

Jun 3, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 20
As I said to each their own. Keep your biases to yourself.
Do not sell your biases to others will be much more appropriate, especially with those totally ridiculuous "TOTLs"!

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 20
Whatever makes you happy buddy.

:deadhorse:
What makes me happy personally to see less people coerced into uselessly buying expensive cables, and hearing less BS, such as 'copper vs. silver". But the real world is always so much harsher than ideal/perfect expectations. Humans are so imperfect :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks for the info, just to confirm, the 2 silver litz cable you've mentioned are the same brand and model just with different plugs (2.5mm and 4.4mm)?
Do you mind sharing a link to the adapter you're using?

I'm guessing it is one without a cable, basically just a hard adapter.

For the adapter, if you move/rotate the cable's jack while its plug into the adapter and while there's music playing, do you here any noise or experience slight cut offs?

Sounds like you would also go with the 2.5mm variant + adapter (balanced connection) over the 3.5mm variant direct (unbalanced connection)?
Yes, Fiio ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back