1st Tube Amp - suggestions
Apr 27, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 35
Ahhhhh. Ok . Tks for the clarification.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #18 of 35
Decided to go with the G1217 Ember II. Think it's gonna rock all my cans pretty damn well! Question,,, what is the average life span of a tube? Does it tend to differ from one style of tube to the next or can we expect all tubes to last more or less about the same amount of hours?

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #20 of 35
http://www.head-fi.org/t/138377/how-long-is-the-life-span-of-tube-amp

Maybe that can give some info.

Nice! Join to the club!

Mine is version 1
frown.gif

Tks!! vII comes already 'supercharged' so that's pretty awesome. Tks for the link. Very informative. Never thought tubes would have such a long lifespan. Very cool. Will have to seek out some of the vintage tubes. Sounds like their build/quality is significantly superior to the currently manufactured tubesfrom China and Russia.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #21 of 35
Actually myself personally do not want to be dependent to NOS tubes cos I am worried I like the sound too much, one day all those tubes dissapear, I will be sad :)

New build tubes doesn't sound too bad actually, at least for me.  I heard some old tubes for Darkvoice 337 sound better, like TS 5998, TS 6SJ7 mesh plate, but they are so rare and expensive, I won't bother spending too much money for NOS.
With those new production tubes, I don't have to even worry about turning on and turning off my tube amps cos I know I can get replacement tubes readily anytime, everytime, with the same sound.

I bought mine with additional super charger module installed though.  Hope it doesn't make mine obsolete too fast.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 35
  Actually myself personally do not want to be dependent to NOS tubes cos I am worried I like the sound too much, one day all those tubes dissapear, I will be sad :)

New build tubes doesn't sound too bad actually, at least for me.  I heard some old tubes for Darkvoice 337 sound better, like TS 5998, TS 6SJ7 mesh plate, but they are so rare and expensive, I won't bother spending too much money for NOS.
With those new production tubes, I don't have to even worry about turning on and turning off my tube amps cos I know I can get replacement tubes readily anytime, everytime, with the same sound.

I bought mine with additional super charger module installed though.  Hope it doesn't make mine obsolete too fast.

Oh, I'm sure yours will be jusssst fine :wink:  Good point in re to availability of NOS tubes, but seeing as those suckers date back to 50+ years ago, I feel fairly confident that there will still be a decent availability around long after my butt has vanished from good ol  mother earth. lol.. Which tube did you say was your fav with the Ember? was it the MULLARD 12AX7 ?

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #23 of 35

The new one won't make yours obsolete mate. There's zero difference in sound quality between the two versions. The topology is exactly the same other than the fact that the supercharger element is now fully integrated. I'm excited because this is the first time I've heard the Ember with a 6SN7 tube and I love it. The tour unit I had for a few weeks was just stock with no supercharger and no adapter either.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #24 of 35

The new one won't make yours obsolete mate. There's zero difference in sound quality between the two versions. The topology is exactly the same other than the fact that the supercharger element is now fully integrated. I'm excited because this is the first time I've heard the Ember with a 6SN7 tube and I love it. The tour unit I had for a few weeks was just stock with no supercharger and no adapter either.

Which tube is the stock tube that the Ember comes with?

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #25 of 35
My one came with a JJ ECC82 if that's any help. I can't say I'm a fan of it though. It could be more accurate than the 6SN7 though and maybe an easier pill to swallow for someone transitioning from SS amplification. I love the warm yet powerful sound from the Sylvania.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #26 of 35
Oh, I'm sure yours will be jusssst fine :wink:  Good point in re to availability of NOS tubes, but seeing as those suckers date back to 50+ years ago, I feel fairly confident that there will still be a decent availability around long after my butt has vanished from good ol  mother earth. lol.. Which tube did you say was your fav with the Ember? was it the MULLARD 12AX7 ?

Quite possible that we vanished before the tubes :) but i am a bit paranoid/sentimental of losing those goodness.

Nope, Mullard cv4024 (12at7 equivalent) i heard that 12ax7 is quite noisy, but tell me if otherwise.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #27 of 35

Thanks for the assurance :) phew ... cos i just have my ember like less than few months only.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #28 of 35
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it. They sound exactly the same, providing the same valve is used obviously.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #29 of 35
Quite possible that we vanished before the tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
but i am a bit paranoid/sentimental of losing those goodness.

Nope, Mullard cv4024 (12at7 equivalent) i heard that 12ax7 is quite noisy, but tell me if otherwise.

cool.. tks.. don't believe I see that one in G1217s inventory so I'll search elsewhere. Hoping to do some rolling to find the fav(s).

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #30 of 35
Does anyone have a recommendation for a DAC pairing with the Ember? I am going to run it with the DAC portion of my Headroom Ultra but only temporarily. I do not currently own a stand-alone DAC and wonder what would pair well with this? tks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back