1st time DIY: How do you remove enamel from copper wires?
Jul 15, 2011 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vincentvdn

New Head-Fier
I'm attempting to solder a new plug onto my old ES7. After stripping the cable, I get 3 colored wires. I untwist these one by one and cut off the fibers. How am I supposed to remove the colored coating from the wires??

I've tried using a lighter but then the copper wires break and/or get dirty
I've tried scratching it off with a knife, they break
I've tried using the heat of a little ball of solder on the iron, doesn't work

Will sandpaper finally do the trick, or is there an easier/other way? My cable is getting short...

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 15
Wire Stripper, just go to any hardware store and they'll have a selection of atleast 3 different ones. Pick one that will work with the gauge of the wire you are using.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Wire Stripper, just go to any hardware store and they'll have a selection of atleast 3 different ones. Pick one that will work with the gauge of the wire you are using.

They are enameled strands, not a big bundle in a PVC/teflon sheath. 

I usually have good luck with a knife.
Others have suggested acetone (nail-polish remover) or other less friendly chemicals. Just take appropriate cautions with whatever you use. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
I've tried using a lighter but then the copper wires break and/or get dirty
I've tried scratching it off with a knife, they break
I've tried using the heat of a little ball of solder on the iron, doesn't work

Wow, how thick is this enamel?? Usually burning with a lighter works great for me, if it gets dirty just use some steel wool to clean it off afterwards. I think this method is the quickest without risking cutting the wires (as using a knife).

Jul 15, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 15
When replugging my  CX300 I used the hot solder iron to scratch it off. Even if I didn't get all the paint off, it was enough.

I also read in some recabling guide that you can use aspirin together with a solderin iron. The acid that is produced when burning the tablet (ventilate your room!) should help getting the paint off. Haven't tried it myself though as I didn't need to.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 15
Eureka! I tried again with the blob of solder, it kind of worked but not 100%. Anyway I get sound out of both sides so I'm happy :)
Probably the worst soldering job in the world though. Here's the end result:

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Eureka! I tried again with the blob of solder, it kind of worked but not 100%. Anyway I get sound out of both sides so I'm happy :)
Probably the worst soldering job in the world though. Here's the end result:

You should have posted pics of the solder job
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Could you exlain how Uncle Erik? ie just wipe it on the end or dip the wire in a pot of the acetone + mineral spirits?? I'm using clairvoyant cables gold plated copper 28awg.

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 15
I usually pour it onto 0000 steel wool and scrub it off the wires. Doesn't take too long. You can also use a cloth or paper towel. It'll take slightly longer, but still comes off. I like the steel wool because it cuts slightly and leaves a rougher surface - better for the solder to fill in and grip. Yeah, a minor thing, but I always have a loaf of steel wool around.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #15 of 15
I've heard about using molten rosin to sorta corrode/dissolve the enamel.
I myself never found the need of doing anything special to enamel wires. Then again, I have a 40W iron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back