**1ST REVIEW** CARDAS - AYRE ACOUSTICS (IBE) BURN-IN CD... Has anyone tried this???
Jan 11, 2008 at 1:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

weeeeesquirrel

100+ Head-Fier
Came across this and wondered if anyone had taken one for the team and tried this out? I searched forums and was surprised nothing posted about it... anyone???

Product Link:
Musicdirect - CARDAS - AYRE ACOUSTICS (IBE) BURN-IN CD

Update #1 (2/22/2008)

Sovkiller took the time to put these together and send them to me, so I am now investing my time in sharing my experience. I am not a big fan of typing so please note this is for the benefit of all and not my idea of a good time
biggrin.gif
(I like sharing but it really feels like homework...)

***DISCLAIMER***
[size=xx-small]This is my experience expressed via my own words. I am only reporting on what I know and would consider to be 'facts' and anything that would begin with the words 'I think' will not be presented as a fact of my experience. Either it happened or it didn't... period!!! For those who enjoy arguing just for the sake of arguing(we all see these types posting here) I am letting you know upfront I will not be responding to you. You are more than welcome to argue among yourselves, but I will not be participating
biggrin.gif
I will not be commenting on gas additives, male enhancement tablets, personal horoscopes or any other tangents I've seen this thread take.
[/size]

Equipment Used:
Iron lung Jellyfish >Furman PL-8 II >Denon DCM-390 >Moon Audio Black Dragon RCA >Meier Corda Aria >Audio-Technica A900Ti & Sennheiser HD280
Sony DNE720 >Moon Audio Black Dragon Mini >Meier Corda Move >Audio-Technica A900Ti & Sennheiser HD280

Compact Disc Used:
The Cure 'Faith'
Reasons:
#1 reason is that it is one of the first Music CD's I ever owned and I have been listening to it for over 20years
eek.gif
[size=xx-small](really dated myself with that disclosure)[/size]

[size=xx-small][size=x-small]#2 It is difficult to accurately/pleasingly reproduce the 8 tracks it contains, especially the bass guitar and general low end. If you want to hear difference between 'accurate' bass and 'boomy, flabby' stuff this CD will really make it evident. [/size][size=xx-small](HD280 vs Sony V6 - although V6 will have 'more' bass in its sound, but it all kinda smears together and all the subtlety between frequencies just isn't present - while the HD280 seems to have 'less' bass in a direct comparison, it is strikingly accurate and you can actually tell what is making what noise down there and it reproduces quite low frequencies)[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=x-small]#3 The highs are delicate, spatial, with lots of left/right action and completely unforgiving if they aren't treated right. [/size][/size]
#4 Mids are complexly layered with multiple guitars, piano, vocals, subtle enrichments like [size=xx-small](bells, water drops splashing & echoing)[/size]
#5 Each track is quite consistent in sound signature throughout its entire length. So there is no need for sampling specific sections over & over while doing critical listening[size=xx-small](20sec here 45 sec there etc...).[/size]

What Tested:
Densen Demagic CD
Why... just the first one I chose
rolleyes.gif

I did my 'testing' over the last month and quite randomly[size=xx-small](sometimes short intervals... sometimes long - sometimes after I was using equipment for an extended period... sometimes when I first turned on after it sat for a while). [/size][size=x-small]Most important aspect to me was that I did it when I wanted to do it and did not force myself to do any critical listening. I listened at different volume levels, but always the same during my comparison. I always listened to The Cure before and after I ran Demagic CD[/size][size=xx-small](never adjusting volume during comparison). [/size]

What type of "Listener" am I?:
I would be categorized as the 'Golden Ear' type. Quality, quality and more quality... that's #1-10 on my preference list. Personally I wish I was like the following person[size=xx-small](I would spend less on audio equipment, but probably wouldn't have as much fun though).[/size] I recently read about someone here who snapped together a bunch of 1/4" & 1/8" adapters to see if it degraded sound quality and couldn't hear the difference. Unfortunately, that is not me
biggrin.gif
. I recently had to chop off stock plug on my A900Ti and solder on a Cardas GRQ SS because the screw on 1/4" adapter completely destroyed the audio signal. I was actually near tears because they were sounding so terrible compared to how incredible they sounded when I first received them. Plus, they sounded worse on my new Aria than they did on my Move!!! Finally it dawned on me... what was the only difference from the amp to my head??? That damn screw on 1/4" adapter!!!
rolleyes.gif
Sure enough, I grabbed my HD280 adapter and BAM... instant improvement. Next day, CHOP... SOLDER... and voila... sound like million buck now!!!!
biggrin.gif
If my home speaker is off axis 1 degree, I will hear it and have to get up and adjust it. If my power capacitors are old & dying in my car system, I will hear it and have to replace them. I can also set the timing on a V8 engine by ear. Although I am new to high-end head phone nirvana, I've been a critical listener for my whole life. Always looking to achieve that next level in audio reproduction perfection. Did not even know high-end head phone world existed just a few months ago.
frown.gif
My previous experience is with Car Audio and Home Audio. More with car because I found it more enjoyable and rewarding and not so bank account dependent.

What the Hell Happened????:
Well, it's only a 3 minute track and that was the experiment part I performed while listening to above CD. The following results are facts based on my actual experience. Not opinions! And yes, these results were apparent with the rest of my music library(650+ cd's and counting). FYI Every time I did this I went WOW. That is why I am sharing. Because I feel it is actually worth my time and worthwhile for other 'critical' types(picky SOB's or the like) to try for themselves. I am extremely skeptical by nature and have to experience everything for myself before I will believe it for myself
rolleyes.gif

#1. Dynamic range of audio reproduction increases dramatically!!! Any perceived congestion(I hear it a lot on extremely busy musical sections) has been eliminated. The music faucet is wide open baby!!! No more flow control! It doesn't make a regular CD a HDCD, but everything has more depth than ever and is extremely 3-dimensional. You can 'mentally' focus on any sound and/or instrument in the music and it exists more independently and dimensionally than I have heard before. I can listen to a cymbal and enjoy it all by itself without it melting away into other sounds not associated with it.
#2. More transparency, head phones disappear and music surrounds you. Almost 'invades' you in a way. Like how you feel a part of the music at a live performance.
#3. I find this one odd but I will do my best to put it into words. Even though I did not use my cross-feed filter in any of my testing. One prominent improvement was what a cross-feed filter is supposed to do by definition. Even though left and right channel material maintained its separation(didn't feel like it was more 'mono' in presentation at all). The 'space' between left & right channels that I perceive with head phones(also the same thing that makes some people ill because they get disoriented from the extreme stereo separation) virtually disappears. Instead of two floor speakers 20ft apart(which would exaggerate stereo separation) they are sucked in to a more optimal 6ft apart.

Okay... this part IS my opinion. I believe less than 15% of Headfier's would perceive the same benefits that I do. Like I said before, I am of the 'Golden Ear' type and therefore represent a small minority of the population and I am well aware of it.

[size=small]For the record...[/size] Til' this very day I still absolutely have no idea what this Densen CD is supposed to do. I never heard of it before I opened the package from Sovkiller and all I read about it from the internet was the instructions.
"Play 3 minute track at normal listening volume. Repeat weekly or monthly."
So, maybe it's supposed to do something completely different... like make everything sound like it was recorded during a thunderstorm in Kentucky inside a one car garage by drunken chimpanzee's on crack??? I don't know and don't care... I am surprised as hell it does what it does and will continue to use it.

Jan 11, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such threads often lead to long and meaningless discussions with people who never have tried but are convinced that it doesn't work.

Hell the manufacturer doesn't even know how it works...

But please, buy it for your own sake, at least its cheap. I want to hear your impressions afterward though.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hell the manufacturer doesn't even know how it works...

But please, buy it for your own sake, at least its cheap. I want to hear your impressions afterward though.

I know... that was my favorite part "Irrational, But Efficacious!"... in other words "really... it does something...
wink.gif
trust us...
wink.gif
we just don't know what it does or why it does it..."

Jan 11, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you stick around the hi-end audio scene, you'll notice a lot of garbage thats in the same boat as this.

The almighty prophet has spoken his true words of wisdom yet again.
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Come on Chef, don't you remember knowing everything when you were 18 too?
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

I think I smell some "horse sense" coming on...
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #12 of 89
What the hell would Chef know? He hasn't matured past 14.

I don't remember even taking that polarized of a stance on audio tweaks. I just said "a lot" of products are like this, not all, a lot.

If you don't think this CD is utter garbage, then please, enlighten me on how it can change anything. Oh wait, you can't. You just feel the need to bash me because I am not anti-science, anti-logic and don't buy into this BS.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by weeeeesquirrel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know... that was my favorite part "Irrational, But Efficacious!"... in other words "really... it does something...
wink.gif
trust us...
wink.gif
we just don't know what it does or why it does it..."

i think we know why, if you know what i mean
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 89
Quote:

Track 1 is a 45 second version of the glide track, for a quick boost.

Track 2 is White Noise, random full spectrum noise, that can be used to speed burn-in of a component or to determine proper phase.

Track 3 is Pink Noise, random noise with equal emphasis on each band of the audio spectrum, great for making sure your checking midrange phase and also for burning in drivers.

Track 4 is Brown Noise, random noise with an emphasis on the midrange and lower octaves, for burning in midrange and bass drivers or checking bass integration / rattles in your room.

Track 5 is Mono Brown Noise, this time summed to mono. This is a very useful track when you're trying to integrate a high quality subwoofer into your audio system, simply flip the phase on your sub and find the position where your sub makes the least bass, flip the phase back and you're set!

Track 6 is Out of Phase Brown Noise, both channels are out of phase with each other. Similar to the two previous tracks, the Brown Noise on this track allows for quick acoustic cancellation. E.g. burning in your speakers at higher volumes without thundering your house to the ground.

Track 7 is the full glide track, a 285 second sweep of all frequencies from 5Hz to 20kHz.

Here is an explanation of how a system demagnetizer works from Gryphon Audio Designs, who makes an electronic device that performs a similar function as the CD.

Even if you don't think tracks 1 & 7 will do anything, the disk has 5 other useful tracks. That's worth the asking price right there.

I have a similar product XLO test Disc.
The demagnetizing sweeps make a small improvement, and the music tracks are good too. The last one is a real torture test for system dynamics.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #15 of 89
The only problem is, all the evidence is always from another company that uses pseudo-science and gimmicks in their marketing claims. How can this be taken as truth? I think "why" is a pretty decent question to ask.

From Gryphon Audio on their "Exorcist" demagnetizing product:

The application of DC current is precisely the technique employed in the manufacture of magnets. High end connector manufacturers and others are very much aware of this and subjective listening tests have often pinpointed the degrading sonic effects of nickel.

In other words, this "proof" is complete and utter BS.

Nickel can be magnetized, true, but I'll be damned if line-level current simply passing through it will "magnetize" it. I'll be double damned if that thin plate layer, even if magnetized, will cause distortion.

Furthermore, they never describe how or why this product can magically dispel magnetism with an audible sound signal. Ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back