1st Gen Shuffle - Still The One
Aug 29, 2009 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
Wow! After having hopes dashed that the refurb 1st Gen Shuffle deal on Apple's website was for real (it's not), I jumped up and grabbed a BNIB one from Amazon reseller Kedaphoto. Had such fond memories of the crisp-yet-bassy sigmatel chip sound sig that I decided it was worth the risk (of unfamiliar seller, old shelved battery, no warranty, etc.).

I've owned Clip & Fuze, all gens of nano, 3-5 Gen iPods, M6, Sony 729, iTouch (both gens)...and my current fav rig - 3G nano/Whiplash LOD/iBasso T4 amp. Straight up - 1st Gen Shuffle whips 'em all. Don't know if it's the Sigmatel chip or how they do it, but the bass is deep and punchy but not overblown, mids are clear and well-separated, and highs are clean with almost no sibilance. It's absolutely delightful to just plug SE530s into the little 512MB bugger and just go. The nano/T4 combo has quite a bit more bass than Shuffle but can't hang with the resolution/clarity and depth of bass impact.

Of course, only having 512MB of memory means much more frequent plug-in trips to the PC but that really is a minor consideration. I got mine for around $60 (including a separate Exo case purchase), but noticed that some are selling for over $100. IMHO that's actually worth it, if the BEST SQ is what you're after, in an unobtrusive form factor.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 38
i have a first gen shuffle as well-though I use my 2nd gen shuffle more often than the 1st gen model.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 38
I have the first shuffle 512 meg of memory, but yes it kicks every i-pods butt in the sq department. Way better then 30 gig video, better than mini, and way way better than mega-buck touch. It seems sq has gone down with every model. Looking back this is hard to believe. The shuffle is the best sounding mp3 out there that I have tested.
DSCF0009-1.jpg

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 38
the shuffle 1g is my favourite of all time flash or hd player. though a bit hissy and lacks gapless like other ipods, it has been my favourite for small size and good sound. the fuze and clip utilise a very similar sigma tel processor, but i actually prefer the shuffle 1g. it dies and keeps coming back to life!

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 38
yes, this dap has very good sound quality, the power output is as big as cowon D2 level (suprise?), and what make me suprise is the chip use sigmatel. Anyone know if the 2nd gen still use sigmatel?

ipod shuffle 1st gen is the only mini-stick player that has good sound quality for me.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 38
Yup. My 1G Shuffle is a keeper, along with my 30GB 5th Gen. It does look a little disproportional when I have my Alessandro's connected to the Shuffle, but man it sounds great all by itself. The 5th Gen is paired with a mini3.

Aug 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have quite a different experience.

Always interesting to hear differing views, what was your experience?

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 38
1g Shuffle has my favorite SQ out of any player, although I don't use it much anymore because it's become extremely glitch (and I have grown accustomed to a screen).

I would kill if I could take the sound chip and put it into another player. It blows away my iPod nano 3g, iPhone 3G, Cowon D2, and Sansa Clip.

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always interesting to hear differing views, what was your experience?

It sounds nice, with good soundstage. But I always find it lacking in resolution. Instrument separation is not on par with my S639. However, I can see why people prefer it to the sound sig of the S639. I prefer it to my Sansa, which I gave away, however
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 38
In demand old 9 year old I-pods, who would or could even guess? I would think the sq would improve over the years. It is like the shuffle is a seperate and everything else an all in one. Maybe I just purchased a reject Touch because it does not sound good no matter what I use it with.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 38
the touch is actually to my ears and test equipment a good-sounding player, if not (old one) a little rolled off in bass and hissy. the new one is colder sounding, but technically flawless - perhaps technically the best player on the market.

but for a random listen, the shuffle 1g remains my fav.

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #14 of 38
Tested the Touch with handfulls of headphones, Shuffle and 30 gig Video beat it hands down. Not even a contest. Maybe I purchased a defective Touch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back