1st audiophile headphones suggestions
Aug 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shreya1515

New Head-Fier
Hey, i want to buy a good set of over the ear headphones under 200$. I mostly listen to classic rock and other vocal centric genres and have to use them only with my macbook. want something that gives a crystal clear soulful sound and don't care much about bass. Have read a lot of great reviews for the ath-m50s. Don't have those available in my area for a demo so wondering if they are a good value for money or plain overrated. Please share your expert opinions. Thanks in advance.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 16
For $200 your best bet for neutral sound is a used AKG K550 or K701. M50 is more fun and v-shaped, but not on the same level technically. They were excellent for the money years ago, but the price has gone up and the number of worthy competitors has increased exponentially since, so they wouldn't be my first recommendation anymore.

Aug 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 16
Audio Technica ATH-A900X

Refurb, $130
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=269188747

New, $155
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=284640702

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 16
For $200 your best bet for neutral sound is a used AKG K550 or K701. M50 is more fun and v-shaped, but not on the same level technically. They were excellent for the money years ago, but the price has gone up and the number of worthy competitors has increased exponentially since, so they wouldn't be my first recommendation anymore.

I wouldn't recommend the K701 simply because using it with only a MacBook without any amplification is not a good idea.

I recommend the Shure SRH940, or if you want something with less treble energy, SRH840.

I've also heard good things about the KRK KNS8400, never listen to it though.

Aug 13, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 16

+1

For under $200, the A900X is a great deal. To my ears, much better than the M50s in terms of mids and highs, and the bass is more balanced with the rest of the sound. I think these would be a good fit for your tastes.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 16
Just one warning about AKG K550: K550s have really low clamp force. If you dont have a big head you will have difficulty using them without  proper modding.

+1
If that will be the case, if at all you can find a refurb PSB M4U1 at your price range, that will also be a good choice

If you wanted new, I like SRH-840

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
+1

For under $200, the A900X is a great deal. To my ears, much better than the M50s in terms of mids and highs, and the bass is more balanced with the rest of the sound. I think these would be a good fit for your tastes.

+2. I'm buying one my self! 

Aug 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 16
I had to register to say this:
Please don't buy your items from Rakuten, I was pretty close to buying the A900X from them last night, but I decided to google "Rakuten review", and lo-and-behold, there were 33 reviews at 1 star complaining about Rakuten stealing customers' CC info.

I decided to try and look up the A900Xs on Ebay (I'm on the East Coast of the US) and I actually just bought a pair of the A900Xs from (what looks like) a very reputable seller (16k feedback score, 99.7% satisfaction) for about $164.99 + free shipping.  (If you want to try your luck, I bought the 6th pair of headphones out of 7, there's one pair left [the seller is e[size=x-small]z362]).[/size]

Just another story about how you should google for information on websites before purchasing from them.

I was also actually considering going the amazon.co.jp route with Tenso because I was no where close to wanting to purchase from Rakuten.

triportsad.gif
Be careful out there...
triportsad.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
Please don't buy your items from Rakuten, I was pretty close to buying the A900X from them last night, but I decided to google "Rakuten review", and lo-and-behold, there were 33 reviews at 1 star complaining about Rakuten stealing customers' CC info.

I decided to try and look up the A900Xs on Ebay (I'm on the East Coast of the US) and I actually just bought a pair of the A900Xs from (what looks like) a very reputable seller (16k feedback score, 99.7% satisfaction) for about $164.99 + free shipping.  (If you want to try your luck, I bought the 6th pair of headphones out of 7, there's one pair left [the seller is e[size=x-small]z362]).[/size]

Just another story about how you should google for information on websites before purchasing from them.

I was also actually considering going the amazon.co.jp route with Tenso because I was no where close to wanting to purchase from Rakuten.

triportsad.gif
Be careful out there...
triportsad.gif

Thanks for the info, it might explain why Rakuten can get away with the low prices.

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 16

There has been discussion about this on the deal's thread (sorry; I don't remember exactly where). Head-fiers were also talking about the rampant identity theft. Seemed like Rakuten had major security issues. Head-fi members were protecting themselves from that by using PayPal to pay instead of by credit card. That's sure would prevent it.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 16
I actually just got a pair of Used In Bow Ath a900x for well very cheap. Seeing as the K550 I bought sounded 10x better than I though it would [perfect fit] I'm going to be reselling my Used Ath a900x for about $130 shipping inlcluded. They should b in by Tuesday, so please feel free to wait till I can get my cans, and put them up for sale! Sadly my PC mouse broke, so I desperatly need a new one >.>. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back