1more E1001 triple driver in ear headphones review
May 19, 2016 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 202

Jupit3r

Head-Fier
Introduction

Once considered a novelty, headphones with armature drivers are now more common as many Chinese brands such as Astrotec, Dunu and Sound Magic have released a variety of less expensive armature and hybrid headphones in recent years. No brand went as far as Xiaomi, though, pricing its hybrid dual driver in-ear-headphones at only $17.54, which is truly affordable to everyone.

1more is a fairly new Chinese brand specialized in making headphones, but they did come with lots of promises. The fabulous packaging, refined design and moderate pricing showed their determination in making it big. Having released several entry-level iems and gained a lot of positive feedback, they finally aimed at the higher-end of the market, releasing an all new hybrid model – the 1more E1001 hybrid 3-way in-ear headphone.

Specifications

Type: Closed, hybrid
Rated power: 5mW
Driver unit: HD Hybrid 3-way (16mm dynamic + 2×Balanced Armature)
Frequency response: 20-40,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 99 dB/mW
Impedance: 32 Ω
Cord type : Approx. 1.25m, enameled copper cord
Plug: Gold-plated straight stereo mini plug (3.5mm)
Weight: 18g
Supplied accessories: Hybrid silicone rubber earbuds (5 pairs), Foamed silicone earbud (3 pairs), Cord adjuster, Carrying case, flight plug adapter

Perfectly aware of their limited influence and brand value in this chaotic headphone industry, 1more knows that they have to do more in order to draw customers’ attentions. The 1more E1001 headphones are quite good on paper with a solid 99db/mW sensitivity rating and a frequency response of 20-40,000Hz. And the fact that their 3-button remote is compatible with both Android and iOS makes them more valuable to users who mostly listen to music with their phones.

Of course, the $99 price tag may raise a lot of questions about what is special about the 1more E1001 headphones, especially when it comes to sound quality. Are they better than most dynamics iems under $100, how could they be so much cheaper than other triple driver iems, or are they just equivalent to the Xiaomi earphones? Let’s take a closer look.

Packaging

For a pair of earphones priced under $100, the packaging of the 1more E1001 is simply extravagant. The box itself is rather slick, with a magnetic latch which makes the packing more like a jewelry box.

Inside the box you will see stylish graphics showing the design outline of the E1001, as well as the beautifully printed statement.

All accessories are contained in independent boxes, you will find 8 pair of eartips (5 pairs of rubber silicon ones and 3 pairs of foam silicon ones), a cord adjuster, a flight dual plug adapter, a black leather carrying case, the warranty card and user manual.

Design and build

The 1more E1001 has a very premium metallic design, with a combination of rose gold and deep blue. The forged aluminum alloy body houses two balanced armature drivers and a dynamic driver. It is not as high-profile as some Monster and B&O in ear monitors, but it is still one of kind.

The cord is engineered to stand the test of time and even some occasional torture. The interior of enameled copper is wrapped around by Kevlar fiber to maximize tensile strength.

There is also an inline remote/microphone, which is compatible with both Android and iOS based smartphones and tablets. Though I don’t use this kind of remote very often, I know it is valuable to users who use their smartphone as their main audio player and make occasional phone calls while listening to music.

The E1001 earphones are a little heavier than average iems with plastic shells, but as they are ergonomically shaped, the weight is evenly distributed while they rest in my ears. Thus, I never felt uncomfortable, even after wearing them for a few hours.

Build quality of these headphones are simply great. They feel even sturdier than my Monster Turbine, which costed me $299.

Isolation and fit 

The 1more E1001 earphones are designed to give the users a perfect fit and decent isolation. With eartips of the right size, they can give you a very comfortable fit, and a tight seal which helps you block out 90% of the outside noise.

However, the E1001 headphones are not designed for sports activities such as running and cycling, as the wind noise can sabotage your fun of listening to music. Also, although the fit is decent enough for walking and jogging, the earbuds could fall from your ears if you work your body a little harder.

Performance

Audio Players:
Iriver U100, Apple iPod Shuffle, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, LG G3, MS Surface Pro3

Tested tracks:
Sade – King of Sorrow (APE)
Ed Sheeran – Afire Love (MP3@320kbps)
Coldplay – Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (FLAC)
Alicia Keys – Brand New Me (FLAC)
Destiny’s Child – Say My Name (MP3@320kbps)
G-Eazy – Me, Myself and I (FLAC)
Adele – Hello (FLAC)
Demi Lovato – Confident (FLAC)
Kris Allen – Falling Slowly (APE)
Ariana Grande – Focus (MP3@320kbps)
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Otherside (APE)
Emeli Sande – Next to Me (FLAC)
Emeli Sande – Heaven (FLAC)
The Weeknd – Often (FLAC)
Drake – Hotline Bling (APE)

Comparisons:
Monster Turbine, Bose Freestyle, Fox Extreme UR20, Ausdom ANC7, Astrotec GX50

Unlike most high-end headphones, the 1more E1001 can be easily driven with anything. It will surely sound slightly better with an amplifier or a high-end audio player, but it still sounded perfectly fine running off my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, my LG G3 and Surface Pro 3.

The 1more E1001 triple-driver earphones have a sound profile that could be more appealing to most audiophiles than bass heads. The sound is very clean, relaxing and well-balanced, with a lot of detail. But the bass is not that fat. I am not saying that the 1more E1001 are severely lacking in bass, but if you are used to the boomy Monster and Beats headphones or other dynamic headphones with that kind of sound profile, you will crave for more bass prominence with the E1001.

If the 1more E1001’s bass is not satisfying enough for certain users, the mids and highs are where they really shine, easily blowing my Bose Freestyle and Monster Turbine out of the water. The midrange is smooth, rich, and seductive. Both male and female vocals are presented clearly and accurately.

The high frequency spectrum is full, bright, crisp and clear. The 1more E1001 are not a pair of headphones that would ever be called muddy—though some listeners might find it on the slightly overly-bright side, depending on your personal tastes and what genre of music you're listening to.

The E1001 aren't the most open-sounding, you will notice that when you listen to tracks which are made to make you feel the spaciousness and openness, such as Coldplay’s “Paradise” and Emeli Sande’s “Heaven”. But the detail is brilliant, I even enjoyed a full hour of American country music on the radio, and I am normally no fan of country. I also did notice some harshness and dryness while playing Drake’s “Hotline Bling” and some old British Rock songs, and there can be some unwanted metallic feel sometimes, but above all, the E1001’s sound is rich, warm, and full of intricate detail.

Conclusion

I've tested quite a number of in-ear monitors recently and the 1more E1001 triple driver earphones rank up there with my favorites. For only $99, these headphones are extravagantly packaged, beautifully designed, with build quality that could even rival products priced many times higher. Offering a comfortable fit, well-balanced sound, and a remote that works well with almost all smartphones, the 1more E1001 could be the iem to beat in the $100 realm.

With that said, the E1001 are definitely not headphones for bass-heads. Although it works fine with most bass centric music, it just lacks that extra punchiness to stimulate the excitement. But if you are more about accuracy and do not stick to a certain genre of music, you can’t go wrong with the E1001 triple driver headphones.

May 22, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 202
Well done but i am sure there is another thread talking about the triple driver, people complained about microphonics whats your take on it?
Btw maybe somebody could merge both threads.

May 22, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 202
interesting review jupit3r...pretty good ones out there too.
One iem in this range I tried and loved was the vsonics gr07 ..but it could be a tad sizzly at times...these sound like they're more balanced yet also equally detailed

May 23, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #7 of 202
Thank-you...just the usual...it's value vs others iems in price range...does it kick above...pros and cons...is it a well rounded iem? One thing I have read is that for walking around and isolation/staying in place that they're not the best ...can move around with the wires (CNET review)...but a 'home theatre' reviewer suggest best to wear them over ear and and behind neck... anyway I look forward to your review.

May 23, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 202
Thanks for the review.

Do you recommend these for over-the-ear use?

May 23, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 202
Interesting info on the company now 3 yrs old (sure it's marketing and sales PR related....)

part of xiaomi I believe..supposedly have sold over 20 million pairs in China...more products coming this yr.

1MORE Headphones Quickly Making Waves With Industry Experts
And Consumers For The Company's High-Quality, High-Value Design Philosophy

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/1more-headphones-quickly-making-waves-120000112.html

Just ordered a pair. for me $100 is a safe investment for most of us in this game trying something new.

imo very smart marketing and price from this company trying to carve out a niche here in a very competitive market.
 because at this price, if the bang for the buck stands the test of time, then they build some trust factor among customers...
and then when more expensive options come out later in the year their customers most likely will be confident to move up 
and experiment further....plus who doesn't like a good sounding iem that you don't have to pay $500-$1000 on.
(sure not in the same leagues i realize...but dunu 1000, vsonic gr07, hifiman re400...all fab bangs for the buck)

May 24, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 202
I dont understand the question, these are in ear monitors, how could u use them over the ear?

Wrapping the cord around your ear for support instead of hanging down!

May 24, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 202
i reached out to 1more's usa division today via email...got a reply later
on from steve (?) the vp of bus development.
seems they might become a headfi sponsor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back